APOD: Play Saturn's Rings Like a Harp (2018 Apr 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Play Saturn's Rings Like a Harp (2018 Apr 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 am

Image Play Saturn's Rings Like a Harp

Explanation: Sure, you've seen Saturn's rings -- but have you ever heard them? Well then please take this opportunity to play Saturn's rings like a harp. In the featured sonification, increasing brighter regions of Saturn's central B-ring play as increasingly higher pitched notes. With a computer browser, click anywhere on the image to begin, and pluck consecutive strings by sliding the spacecraft icon's magnetometer boom across the strings. Both manual and automatic modes are possible. The featured natural-color image was taken by the late Cassini spacecraft in 2017 July as it grazed Saturn's rings and took the highest-resolution ring images ever. The reason why the mostly water-ice rings have a tan hue -- instead of white -- is currently a topic of research. Played in minor harmony, a different false-color version of the same image appears where regions with a greater abundance of water ice appears more red.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

lmpr8r

Re: APOD: Play Saturn's Rings Like a Harp (2018 Apr 24)

Post by lmpr8r » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 am

wonderful!

aljo
Ensign

Post by aljo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 am

I can get the spacecraft to move, but I don't hear any sound! No problem on other videos, so not my computer at fault.

moontrail
Ensign

Post by moontrail » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 am

aljo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 am I can get the spacecraft to move, but I don't hear any sound! No problem on other videos, so not my computer at fault.
In my computer it doesn't work whith the explorer 11 versión, not even the saturn rings are shown just a starred sky. It works OK with Crome.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am

The link for Matt Russo has more of these wonderful tunes that link astronomy with music.
The song ‘Return to Earth’ by his band Rvnners is pretty cool, too.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 am

It doesn't work on my computer. And I'm using Chrome. :(

Ann
Color Commentator

gordhaddow
Ensign

Post by gordhaddow » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am

Works fine on Firefox.
Slan go foill!

doe

Post by doe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 am

Nothing on this APOD works. They say there are rings. I don't see any rings they say there is a spacecraft. I don't see any spacecraft. I only see stars and buttons that say Major, Minor, Manual, Auto, slower, faster.

Next time make sure that the APOD works before posting.

Disappointment for sure.

Dj

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Works great on my firefox - Windows 10. Beautiful sound even by moving the spacecraft in a slow line straight across the rings. Hope the rest of you can find a way to enjoy it!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm

I got Chrome; and it works fine! Did you click on any of the icons?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Not working on Internet Explorer 11.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Uhm, if you only see the stars and not the rings your Javascript might be disabled. (Javascript is different from Java update) In Chrome click the customize tab at the top right. Click settings. At the bottom click advanced. Privacy, scroll to Control settings. Click, and set Javascript to allowed. It is even easier to set in Internet Explorer, but I have had a new Windows 10 computer for over 2 years, that I forget how to do it. Google search for disabling Javascript.

gustavomoretto@yahoo.com

Post by gustavomoretto@yahoo.com » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm

My favorite web page period.
But hey! Are the different piches proportional to the different brightness of the rings or at are they arbitrarily chosen by the technicians...
Big, big difference!
I'm a musician and I'm dying to knw the answer.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm

gustavomoretto@yahoo.com wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm My favorite web page period.
But hey! Are the different piches proportional to the different brightness of the rings or at are they arbitrarily chosen by the technicians...
Big, big difference!
I'm a musician and I'm dying to knw the answer.
APOD Robot wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 am In the featured sonification, increasing brighter regions of Saturn's central B-ring play as increasingly higher pitched notes.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm

De58te wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 pm Uhm, if you only see the stars and not the rings your Javascript might be disabled. (Javascript is different from Java update) In Chrome click the customize tab at the top right. Click settings. At the bottom click advanced. Privacy, scroll to Control settings. Click, and set Javascript to allowed. It is even easier to set in Internet Explorer, but I have had a new Windows 10 computer for over 2 years, that I forget how to do it. Google search for disabling Javascript.
And there are also lots of plugins that could interfere. I don't block Javascript in general, but I have plugins that disable some scripting, block ads, block tracking. These sometimes interfere with complex HTML5 pages like this one. (I don't have a problem making today's page work, but there have been other APODs that got messed up by my plugins.)

It's one thing for a page developer to ensure that things work properly in recent releases of the most popular browsers. But there's no way to be sure that it will work in all of the thousands of individual environments that people create on their own systems.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

sleeshea

Post by sleeshea » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:14 pm

I usually read APOD on my morning coffee break and this one is tremendous. Thanks! Not quite sure how I'm going to stop playing the rings and go back to work, but I guess I'll have to.

(oh, and I'm running Safari on a MacBook Pro - it worked great once but then when I read email and then came back, the sky was filled with stars not rings. I reloaded the page twice and the rings and music came back. I wonder if the word is out that this is so cool and the page is even more popular than usual.)

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Works fine for me in a quite stock Safari in Mac OS. Also works on my iPad in Safari, though there's some pops and spits in the sound--almost like old radio! Probably overloading the sound processing chip/software/memory.

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Wow! It works fine for me on my stationary computer at home, using my Opera browser.

Very beautiful! It really sounds like "actual" music!

Ann
Color Commentator

mattrusso
Asternaut

Post by mattrusso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Case wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am The link for Matt Russo has more of these wonderful tunes that link astronomy with music.
The song ‘Return to Earth’ by his band Rvnners is pretty cool, too.
Thanks Case! We post all of our space music at system-sounds.com and you can stay in the loop on twitter @astromattrusso, got an exciting one on Jupiter coming soon!

mattrusso
Asternaut

Post by mattrusso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm
De58te wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 pm Uhm, if you only see the stars and not the rings your Javascript might be disabled. (Javascript is different from Java update) In Chrome click the customize tab at the top right. Click settings. At the bottom click advanced. Privacy, scroll to Control settings. Click, and set Javascript to allowed. It is even easier to set in Internet Explorer, but I have had a new Windows 10 computer for over 2 years, that I forget how to do it. Google search for disabling Javascript.
And there are also lots of plugins that could interfere. I don't block Javascript in general, but I have plugins that disable some scripting, block ads, block tracking. These sometimes interfere with complex HTML5 pages like this one. (I don't have a problem making today's page work, but there have been other APODs that got messed up by my plugins.)

It's one thing for a page developer to ensure that things work properly in recent releases of the most popular browsers. But there's no way to be sure that it will work in all of the thousands of individual environments that people create on their own systems.
Thanks Chris! It does look like JavaScript blocking may be the culprit for some people. We're looking into it but for now I'd recommend trying something other than Internet Explorer.

mattrusso
Asternaut

Post by mattrusso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 pm

rstevenson wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm Works fine for me in a quite stock Safari in Mac OS. Also works on my iPad in Safari, though there's some pops and spits in the sound--almost like old radio! Probably overloading the sound processing chip/software/memory.

Rob
Yes, there does seem to be a processing limitation on high speed for some mobile so definitely try it on a desktop/laptop if possible, thanks!

HellCat
Ensign

Post by HellCat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Absolutely fantastic. I'm going to start playing much more of Russo's renditions.

For those who can't figure out how to enjoy the spectacle, perhaps THIS link could mollify them...

... for now.

Thank you Professor Russo.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 pm

mattrusso wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 pm
rstevenson wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm Works fine for me in a quite stock Safari in Mac OS. Also works on my iPad in Safari, though there's some pops and spits in the sound--almost like old radio! Probably overloading the sound processing chip/software/memory.

Rob
Yes, there does seem to be a processing limitation on high speed for some mobile so definitely try it on a desktop/laptop if possible, thanks!
Runs fine on my phone (Pixel 2), and in a browser on a Raspberry Pi. Not too demanding of resources, I think.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

At the request of the sonifier, I have now linked Matt Russo to SYSTEM Sounds on the NASA APOD.
- RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 pm

It has been pointed out to me that this APOD is now highlighted on Metafilter.
- RJN