APOD: Meteor and Milky Way over the Alps (2019 Jan 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Meteor and Milky Way over the Alps (2019 Jan 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 am

Image Meteor and Milky Way over the Alps

Explanation: Now this was a view with a thrill. From Mount Tschirgant in the Alps, you can see not only nearby towns and distant Tyrolean peaks, but also, weather permitting, stars, nebulas, and the band of the Milky Way Galaxy. What made the arduous climb worthwhile this night, though, was another peak -- the peak of the 2018 Perseids Meteor Shower. As hoped, dispersing clouds allowed a picturesque sky-gazing session that included many faint meteors, all while a carefully positioned camera took a series of exposures. Suddenly, a thrilling meteor -- bright and colorful -- slashed down right next the nearly vertical band of the Milky Way. As luck would have it, the camera caught it too. Therefore, a new image in the series was quickly taken with one of the sky-gazers posing on the nearby peak. Later, all of the images were digitally combined.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Meteor and Milky Way over the Alps (2019 Jan 14)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am

Reminds me of Mickey Mouse as the "Wizard's Apprentice"...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 am

Boomer12k wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am Reminds me of Mickey Mouse as the "Wizard's Apprentice"...

There are some similarities! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am

I'm sure the photographer was thinking of of the famous Caspar David Freidrich painting, "The Wanderer above the Sea of Fog"
Except his subject seems a bit happier than Freidrich's.

For some reaosn, I can't upload the image, so look here: https://www.hamburger-kunsthalle.de/en/ ... th-century and scroll down, bottom left. Click on their image for a lager view.

John

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am I'm sure the photographer was thinking of of the famous Caspar David Freidrich painting, "The Wanderer above the Sea of Fog"

For some reaosn, I can't upload the image, so look here: https://www.hamburger-kunsthalle.de/en/ ... th-century and scroll down, bottom left. Click on their image for a lager view.

John
You mean this one?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Boomer12k wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am
Reminds me of Mickey Mouse as the "Wizard's Apprentice"...

https://www.etymonline.com/word/sorcerer#etymonline_v_38427 wrote:
SORCERER (n.) early 15c., "conjurer of evil spirits," displacing earlier sorcer (late 14c.), from Old French sorcier, from Medieval Latin sortarius "teller of fortunes by lot; sorcerer" (also source of Spanish sortero, Italian sortiere; see sorcery). With superfluous -er, as in poulterer, upholsterer; perhaps the modern form of the word is back-formed from sorcery.

Sorcerer's apprentice translates l'apprenti sorcier, title of a symphonic poem by Paul Dukas (1897) based on a Goethe ballad ("Der Zauberlehrling," 1797), but the common figurative use of the term (1952) comes after Disney's "Fantasia" (1940).
WIZARD (n.) early 15c., "philosopher, sage," from Middle English wys "wise" (see wise (adj.)) + -ard. Compare Lithuanian žynystė "magic," žynys "sorcerer," žynė "witch," all from žinoti "to know." The ground sense is perhaps "to know the future." The meaning "one with magical power, one proficient in the occult sciences" did not emerge distinctly until c. 1550, the distinction between philosophy and magic being blurred in the Middle Ages. As a slang word meaning "excellent" it is recorded from 1922.

The Atbash cipher for "WIZARD" IS "DRAZIW"
Art Neuendorffer

wolferd1

Post by wolferd1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm

a new image in the series was quickly taken with one of the sky-gazers posing on the nearby peak. Later, all of the images were digitally combined.

Anybody can photoshop or stitch pictures together to represent something that didn't really happen.
This is one of them.
I'm always disappointed when somebody like APOD posts such compositions.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm

wolferd1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm a new image in the series was quickly taken with one of the sky-gazers posing on the nearby peak. Later, all of the images were digitally combined.

Anybody can photoshop or stitch pictures together to represent something that didn't really happen.
This is one of them.
But it did happen... just not on exactly the same frame. This still represents a real scene... what you would have seen in that narrow window of time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm
wolferd1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm a new image in the series was quickly taken with one of the sky-gazers posing on the nearby peak. Later, all of the images were digitally combined.

This is one of them.
But it did happen... just not on exactly the same frame. This still represents a real scene... what you would have seen in that narrow window of time.
Today's APOD is not my favorite kind of picture, but I have no quibbles with it, as such. I don't consider it a "fake". Particularly in view of the fact that we were told how the picture was made.

That's good enough for me. (And I wouldn't want to stand on that cliff to look for meteors, let me tell you. I'm glad someone else did it for me.)

Ann
Color Commentator

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm

A while ago, I raised the point that things are not simply over there, but are actually back in time. Chris Peterson sharply stated that time did not matter.
Now it appears that Peterson is invoking time as an excuse for fabricating an APOD entry. I wish he would, for scientific rigour's sake, make up his mind as to time's relevance.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:53 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm A while ago, I raised the point that things are not simply over there, but are actually back in time. Chris Peterson sharply stated that time did not matter.
Now it appears that Peterson is invoking time as an excuse for fabricating an APOD entry. I wish he would, for scientific rigour's sake, make up his mind as to time's relevance.
I have most certainly never said that "time did not matter".

Perhaps you need to keep your contexts clear.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am I'm sure the photographer was thinking of of the famous Caspar David Freidrich painting, "The Wanderer above the Sea of Fog"

John
You mean this one?

Ann
Bingo!
John

mostly cloudy
Ensign

Post by mostly cloudy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 pm

This is one of them.
Sorry to beat a perhaps dying horse, but there's a world of difference between combining images from the same spot to capture different light levels and tossing in a photo of someone on a "nearby" mountain. I could take a photo of a red moon over the Cascades, turn and take a photo of the Olympics and use them instead, thinking they were prettier mountains. Why not substitute a more photogenic friend, while they were at it.

This photo will be reproduced all over the internet, without even the weak explanation given. Should have been titled "Fantasy Photo."

251billyg
Asternaut

Post by 251billyg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Trick photography is what we called it,back in the day...not that there's anything wrong with that!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm

251billyg wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm Trick photography is what we called it,back in the day...not that there's anything wrong with that!
I think of "trick photography" as yielding some unreal scene, though. This image doesn't do that.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BillBixby
Science Officer

Post by BillBixby » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 am

I think today's photo was beautifully done. And fun. The astro part was real and a nice capture. The Earth part was real and the group that went to the area were able to share their sense of humour. Thank you to the photographer for a job well done. I look forward to the photo tomorrow so the persons who complain will have something new to complain about.

sguisard
Ensign

Post by sguisard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

My problem with this picture is that the only thing that makes it unique and fantastic (compared to a normal Milky Way picture with mountains, and eventually a person OR a meteor on it) , is in fact the simultaneous presence of this very bright meteor and of the observer with his arms opens towards it.

In real life this scene could only be possible with:

1-the photographer taking shots one after the other with the observer staying hours in this position until a bright meteor eventually shows up: an amazing achievement certainly worth an APOD !

2-the photographer taking one shot with the person lifting his hands and the bright meteor appearing on that unique frame : an amazing luck certainly worth an APOD as well !

....what a deception to read that the only thing that makes this picture unique is in fact fake.

Best regards,

Stephane

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 pm

This is one of them.
No. Or everybody would do it. It still takes takes skill and a sense for art. Instead of a brush one uses digital tools. Some uneducated people still think the computer does all this by itself.
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«