APOD: Astronaut Kicks Lunar Field Goal (2019 Apr 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Astronaut Kicks Lunar Field Goal (2019 Apr 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 am

Image Astronaut Kicks Lunar Field Goal

Explanation: Score three points for NASA. With time running out late in Apollo 15's mission to the Moon in 1971, Astronaut David Scott prepared to split the uprights and bring about yet another dramatic end-of-the-mission victory for NASA. Scott used a special lunar football designed for the rugged games held on the Moon. R1-D1, a predecessor to R2-D2, cheered from the sideline. Happy April Fools' Day from the folks at APOD. In reality, Astronaut Scott placed a drill that measured how temperature changed with lunar depth. The foreground device actually detected high-energy particles that escaped from the Sun.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Astronaut Kicks Lunar Field Goal (2019 Apr 01)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:42 am

Nice image...

:---[===] *

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am

I'm wondering if today's Earth Science Picture of the Day is also an April Fools joke?

Check it out! https://epod.usra.edu/blog/

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 am

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am I'm wondering if today's Earth Science Picture of the Day is also an April Fools joke?

I'm wondering if your wondering is another one.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am I'm wondering if today's Earth Science Picture of the Day is also an April Fools joke?

Yup. A joke, that it is. The real answer is the other way around. The oceans only look blue because they reflect the blue color of the sky. Water isn't blue at all. To prove it just look at water in a glass. It isn't blue. Happy April fool's day.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:46 am

???!!! Ha ha!!!!??? I did lik R1-D1 though! R2-D2 said No relation as far as he knew! :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:03 pm

I hate April Fool's Day, but I think I can handle this one. :)

I've never seen this particular photo before. Very cool.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15 wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<The target of the second EVA, on August 1, was the slope of Mons Hadley Delta, where the pair sampled boulders and craters along the Apennine Front. They spent an hour at Spur crater, during which the astronauts secured what came to be one of the more famous lunar samples, #15415, more commonly known as the "Genesis Rock". This rock, an anorthosite, is believed to be part of the early lunar crust—the hope of finding such a specimen had been one reason the Hadley area had been chosen. Once back at the landing site, Scott continued to try to drill holes for experiments at the ALSEP site, with which he had struggled the day before. Although Scott had eventually been successful at drilling the holes, he and Irwin had been unable to retrieve a core sample, and this was an early order of business during EVA 3, their third and final moonwalk. Time that could have been devoted to geology ticked away as Scott and Irwin attempted to pull it out. Once it had been retrieved, more time passed as they attempted to break the core into pieces for transport to Earth. Hampered by an incorrectly-mounted vise on the rover, they eventually gave up on this—the core would be transported home with one segment longer than planned. Scott wondered if the core was worth the amount of time and effort invested, and the CAPCOM, Joe Allen, assured him that it was. The core proved one of the most important items brought back from the Moon, revealing much about its history, but the expended time meant the planned visit to a group of hills known as the North Complex had to be scrubbed. Instead, the crew again ventured to the edge of Hadley Rille, this time to the northwest of the immediate landing site.

Once the astronauts were beside the LM, Scott used a kit provided by the Postal Service to cancel a first day cover of two stamps being issued on August 2, the current date. Scott then performed an experiment in view of the television camera, using a feather and hammer to demonstrate Galileo's theory that all objects in a given gravity field fall at the same rate, regardless of mass, in the absence of aerodynamic drag. He dropped the hammer and feather at the same time; because of the negligible lunar atmosphere, there was no drag on the feather, which hit the ground at the same time as the hammer. This was Joe Allen's idea and was part of an effort to find a memorable popular science experiment to do on the Moon along the lines of Shepard's hitting of golf balls. The feather was from a falcon, a mascot at the United States Air Force Academy.>>
Art Neuendorffer

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm

How DID they get all that soil into the filming studio?

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:48 pm

sillyworm 2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm How DID they get all that soil into the filming studio?
Moon buggy?

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Ha ha. Very funny caption. Actually, the astronaut is simply trying to keep his equipment from blowing away, due to the 60 mph winds that were blowing.
Mark Goldfain

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:26 pm

MarkBour wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:02 pm
Ha ha. Very funny caption.

Actually, the astronaut is simply trying to keep his equipment from blowing away, due to the 60 mph winds that were blowing.
Art Neuendorffer

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:40 pm

De58te wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

Yup. A joke, that it is. The real answer is the other way around. The oceans only look blue because they reflect the blue color of the sky. Water isn't blue at all. To prove it just look at water in a glass. It isn't blue. Happy April fool's day.
Believe what you like. But the next time it snows, dig a hole into the snow and then tell me what color you see. Is an orange really orange because of the reflected light? Trust me, snow is blue when you really look at it, not the white that over powers the real color of snow, and therefore water. Fun science...

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 am

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:40 pm
De58te wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

Believe what you like. But the next time it snows, dig a hole into the snow and then tell me what color you see. Is an orange really orange because of the reflected light? Trust me, snow is blue when you really look at it, not the white that over powers the real color of snow, and therefore water. Fun science...
did you know that everything posted on April 1st on the Internet is true? it is only on this day that the human mind is unable to tell a lie
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 am

Rather than looking like he's kicking a field goal, the astronaut looks like I have a few times when my back has gone out and I need to pick something up. Ouch.

Those space suits must have made it impossible to bend over normally.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:07 am

https://seos-project.eu/oceancolour/oceancolour-c01-p07.html wrote: When light passes through water, it becomes attenuated by interaction with the water column:

red light is attenuated rapidly and does not penetrate further than about 5 m in clear water.

blue light penetrates much further and in clear water, the seabed can reflect enough light to be detected by a satellite sensor even when the depth of water approaches 30 m!

Absorption and scattering attenuate the light into the water. As a diver you will find out that below that water surface it rapidly gets darker in coastal waters with much sediment or algae. Chlorophyll-a in phytoplankton absorbs in the blue and the red wavelengths. CDOM absorbs in the blue wavelengths, and sediment mainly scatters the light.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water#Visible_region wrote:
<<Absorption coefficients for 200 nm and 900 nm are almost equal at 6.9 m−1 (attenuation length of 14.5 cm). Very weak light absorption, in the visible region, by liquid water has been measured using an integrating cavity absorption meter (ICAM). The absorption was attributed to a sequence of overtone and combination bands whose intensity decreases at each step, giving rise to an absolute minimum at 418 nm, at which wavelength the attenuation coefficient is about 0.0044 m−1, which is an attenuation length of about 227 meters. These values correspond to pure absorption without scattering effects. The attenuation of, e.g., a laser beam would be slightly stronger.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:01 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:26 pm
MarkBour wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:02 pm
Ha ha. Very funny caption.

Actually, the astronaut is simply trying to keep his equipment from blowing away, due to the 60 mph winds that were blowing.
Good point. My mistake. The wind in this APOD is pretty swift. Ranging from 67,000 to 167,000 mph.
Wikipedia: >>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind<<<
Fast and slow solar wind
The solar wind is observed to exist in two fundamental states, termed the slow solar wind and the fast solar wind, though their differences extend well beyond their speeds. In near-Earth space, the slow solar wind is observed to have a velocity of 300–500 km/s, a temperature of 1.4–1.6×106 K and a composition that is a close match to the corona. By contrast, the fast solar wind has a typical velocity of 750 km/s, a temperature of 8×105 K and it nearly matches the composition of the Sun's photosphere. The slow solar wind is twice as dense and more variable in nature than the fast solar wind.
Mark Goldfain