Dark sizzling Sun (APOD 10 Jul 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Dark sizzling Sun (APOD 10 Jul 2006)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:22 pm

The beauty of this ultraviolet composite of the sun is stunning. Like an agate in the sky.
What better star to study than our own Sol. The steadiness of this star has allowed life to flourish on this planet. Could it be that we can learn much of other stars by their similarity with the sun?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060710.html
Orin
Last edited by orin stepanek on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:22 am

hello orin

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsde ... s/2006/36/

Have you got the right link

The above link is a distant galaxy.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Matt Ryall
Asternaut

Latitude of storms

Post by Matt Ryall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:30 am

I found it amazing how the storms seemed to cluster around 20-30 degrees north and south of the Sun's equator. Very similar to the tropical storms that develop in Earth's atmosphere near the tropics.

Is this just lucky timing, or something to do with the rotation of both bodies?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:30 am

Thanks harry; I'm not sure what happened! I thought I had it right as I always check; almost always! I edited it so I hope it stays. I was adding to the Hubble post the same time so I guess my cut and paste got screwed up somehow.
Matt Ryall; I wonder if that has anything to do with the rotation of the sun?
Orin
Last edited by orin stepanek on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:06 am

Hi Matt,
the storms in the tropic that form between 5 and 15 degrees are the result of uneven heating of the earths surface by the sun. Warm moist air from the equator moves south (or north as the case may be), is given a spin by the coriolis force and begins to rise as the ambient air temperature drops further from the equator.

Obviously the coriolis effect will have some sway on the sun, but since it is being heated internally, the mechanism isn't quite the same, so I'd say its just a coincidence :)

I'd be more inclined to think it was the magnetic field focusing the storms at those latitudes on the sun.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:39 pm

The banding on Jupiter and Saturn is also very similar to the banding areas for sun spots. Makes me wonder if the gases on the sun, even though they are burning, are likewise rotating in similar bands.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:46 am

hello all

Just a bit of info

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1986ssds.proc..271D
The energies of the identified solar gravity modes are estimated from the observed radial velocity amplitudes, and it is deduced that the energies of some modes are of the same order of the total energy of the convective motions in the solar envelope. This fact rules out the possibility of direct or undirect excitation of these modes by convection. It is suggested that the most plausible excitation mechanism relies on a magnetic torque caused by the presence of a global magnetic field of the order of a megagauss in the sun's core.
http://www.grandunification.com/hyperte ... heSun.html
It is well known the sun has a powerful magnetic field. What is its source? According to the Ball-of-Light Particle Model, the core of the sun is a single object -- a ball-of-light. This elementary particle has by its very nature powerful electric and magnetic fields on its surface. The sun's magnetic field is simply a reflection of the core's magnetic field.
Harry : Smile and live another day.