APOD: The North America Nebula in Infrared (2019 Jul 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The North America Nebula in Infrared (2019 Jul 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:05 am

Image The North America Nebula in Infrared

Explanation: The North America Nebula can do what most North Americans cannot -- form stars. Precisely where in the nebula these stars are forming has been mostly obscured by some of the nebula's thick dust that is opaque to visible light. However, a view of the North America Nebula in infrared light by the orbiting Spitzer Space Telescope has peered through much of the dust and uncovered thousands of newly formed stars. Rolling your cursor over the above scientifically-colored infrared image will bring up a corresponding optical image of the same region for comparison. The infrared image neatly captures young stars in many stages of formation, from being imbedded in dense knots of gas and dust, to being surrounded by disks and emitted jets, to being clear of their birth cocoons. The North America Nebula (NGC 7000) spans about 50 light years and lies about 1,500 light years away toward the constellation of the Swan (Cygnus). Still, of all the stars known in the North America Nebula, which massive stars emit the energetic light that gives the ionized red glow is still debated.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: The North America Nebula in Infrared (2019 Jul 28)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 am

Fascinating; it does indeed show a lot of new stars, but also seems to hide some! Sure makes the North America and the Pelican unrecognizable though! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:55 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 am Sure makes the North America and the Pelican unrecognizable though!
Totally so Orin! And since I'm using an Ipad to view these APODs now the "rolling your cursor" feature doesn't work, but the link to the above scientifically-colored infrared image brings up a side by side optical and infrared comparison.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:55 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 am Sure makes the North America and the Pelican unrecognizable though!
Totally so Orin! And since I'm using an Ipad to view these APODs now the "rolling your cursor" feature doesn't work, but the link to the above scientifically-colored infrared image brings up a side by side optical and infrared comparison.
Nice; there are a couple of features though: the back of pelicans head and kind of the Mexico edge of N.Am! :mrgreen:
Orin

harry schwartz

Post by harry schwartz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:37 pm

WOW!!!!!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 pm
Nice; there are a couple of features though: the back of pelicans head and kind of the Mexico edge of N.Am! :mrgreen:
Yes, thanks for pointing those out. Especially the west coast of Mexico shows up prominently in both views.

I get that the clouds would look so different, but what I find surprising is that you see what to me looks like two almost completely different sets of stars. It's as if visible light and infrared light stars are each invisible in the other light range. And yet the visible and IR bands are side by side in the EM spectrum!

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 pm

I wish there were more multiwavelength mouseovers.

TheOtherBruce
Science Officer

Post by TheOtherBruce » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:27 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm I get that the clouds would look so different, but what I find surprising is that you see what to me looks like two almost completely different sets of stars. It's as if visible light and infrared light stars are each invisible in the other light range. And yet the visible and IR bands are side by side in the EM spectrum!
Not quite completely different; if you do rapid mouseovers while watching the bright stars in the upper right quarter of the photo, you can see the very faint IR counterparts to the visible-light ones (or vice-versa). I think the only one that's close to equivalent is the bright white star up at the top edge.

I've been looking at this for a good few minutes and I just realised the two images are complementary, especially around the nebula edges. It's almost as if the IR image is a mould used to form the reddish volume of the visible nebula.
This universe shipped by weight, not by volume.
Some expansion of the contents may have occurred during shipment.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:30 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm
I get that the clouds would look so different, but what I find surprising is that you see what to me looks like two almost completely different sets of stars. It's as if visible light and infrared light stars are each invisible in the other light range. And yet the visible and IR bands are side by side in the EM spectrum!

Bruce
Visible and infrared images do indeed often look completely different. For example, we are used to seeing the "dark divide" between the North America Nebula and the Pelican Nebula as "empty"; but the infrared Spitzer image shows that these parts of the North America Nebula region are generally the most active ones in star formation and the most brilliantly lit up in infrared light.

Another thing to bear in mind is that cool red stars look bright and often blue in infrared images, whereas hot blue stars look tiny and faint. For example, look at the Spitzer image of the APOD and note a relatively bright blue star at upper left. Well, this star is an M-type giant, cool and bright in infrared light, although rather unimpressive in visible light. The star is HD 199799, and its bright near infrared light makes the star shine brightly blue in the Spitzer infrared image. By contrast, the relatively bright blue star at top center in the visible image, O-type star HD 199579, is so faint in infrared light that I suggest that you put your fingernail over the star on the visible light screen in order to find it when you move your cursor over the image to see the infrared image. Because that tiny blue ember that is all that remains of the hot bright star when we see it in infrared light.

Similarly, the really bright blue "eye" of the Pelican Nebula at center right, B-type star HD 199081, disappears almost completely in the Spitzer image.

Visible light Double Cluster of Perseus.
Photo: Roth Ritter.

For comparison, lets take a look at the famous Double Cluster of Perseus in both visible and infrared light. In the visible image at right, note the five red supergiants in Chi Persei, NGC 884, which stand out brilliantly in the infrared image of the Double Cluster. Note, by contrast, how faint the blue supergiants are in infrared light.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 pm
Yes, thanks for pointing those out. Especially the west coast of Mexico shows up prominently in both views.

Bruce
:D There are some prominent stars that show up in both views though!
Orin