APOD: Mystic Mountain Monster being Destroyed (2020 May 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mystic Mountain Monster being Destroyed (2020 May 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon May 25, 2020 4:05 am

Image Mystic Mountain Monster being Destroyed

Explanation: Inside the head of this interstellar monster is a star that is slowly destroying it. The huge monster, actually an inanimate series of pillars of gas and dust, measures light years in length. The in-head star is not itself visible through the opaque interstellar dust but is bursting out partly by ejecting opposing beams of energetic particles called Herbig-Haro jets. Located about 7,500 light years away in the Carina Nebula and known informally as Mystic Mountain, the appearance of these pillars is dominated by dark dust even though they are composed mostly of clear hydrogen gas. The featured image was taken with the Hubble Space Telescope. All over these pillars, the energetic light and winds from massive newly formed stars are evaporating and dispersing the dusty stellar nurseries in which they formed. Within a few million years, the head of this giant, as well as most of its body, will have been completely evaporated by internal and surrounding stars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Mystic Mountain Monster being Destroyed (2020 May 25)

Post by Ann » Mon May 25, 2020 9:02 am

Mystic Mountain with arrows.png
The Mystic Mountain with hidden young stars emitting jets.

Looks like there is more than one set of jets in the Mystic Mountain in the APOD.

The stars being born in the Mystic Mountain strikes me as typical triggered formation of second generation stars. These stars form at the top of pillars, which are being compressed and eroded away by the strong stellar wind and onslaught of ultraviolet light of pre-existing massive stars. Good examples are just like the stars forming at the top of the Cone Nebula, at the top of the Horsehead Nebula or at the top of one of the Pillars of Creation.

High-mass "first generation" stars form differently, I think. I like the picture of the cosmic Snake at right.
NASA wrote:

The Snake: With a name inspired by its serpentine shape, this extremely filamentary cloud is about 12,000 light-years away with a total mass of 100,000 Suns. Scattered along the Snake are warm, dense dust clouds, each containing about 1,000 times the mass of the Sun in gas and dust. These clouds are being heated by young, massive stars forming inside of them. The Snake may be a section of a much longer filament that is a “Bone of the Milky Way,” tracing out the galaxy’s spiral structure.

Little nebula man with arrow.png
Speaking of triggered star formation: I love this little "nebula-man" in the Pillars of Creation. This little guy looks like he is balancing a lit candle on his cheek or nose, near his eye. "The flame of the candle", of course, must be a new-born low-mass star, and the "candle" itself must be a small starforming dusty pillar.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 am

MysticPillar_HubbleSchmidt_960.jpg
I like the head that reminds me of Washington! Lot's of head
formations in this nebula! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

The Hubble photo in infrared makes a nice addition. Sorry, don't know how to create the link.
https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1007f/

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 am MysticPillar_HubbleSchmidt_960.jpg

I like the head that reminds me of Washington! Lot's of head
formations in this nebula! 8-)

You're right, Orin, there really are similarities! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

dlw
Ensign

Post by dlw » Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm

In the lower right there is a rather interesting warped dust cloud. Is there more to be said about this object?
Attachments
Odd_shape_near_Mystic_Pillar.jpg
Odd_shape_near_Mystic_Pillar.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

TheOtherBruce
Science Officer

Post by TheOtherBruce » Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pm

Looks to me like a mid-kaboom shot of the giant robot that gets blowed up real good by the hero in the final reel. Complete with bits of debris flying in all directions. 8-)
This universe shipped by weight, not by volume.
Some expansion of the contents may have occurred during shipment.

Mr. TTT

Post by Mr. TTT » Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Should be called the polar bear nebula.

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am

Ann wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:02 am
The stars being born in the Mystic Mountain strikes me as typical triggered formation of second generation stars. These stars form at the top of pillars, which are being compressed and eroded away by the strong stellar wind and onslaught of ultraviolet light of pre-existing massive stars. Good examples are just like the stars forming at the top of the Cone Nebula, at the top of the Horsehead Nebula or at the top of one of the Pillars of Creation.

Ann
ThanX Geck for your awesome picture...
ThanX Ann to your interesting comment...

...what a strong stellar wind from Trumpler 14, an open cluster with a diameter of six light-years, located within the inner regions of the Carina Nebula, approximately 8,980 light-years from Earth...

Jac

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Tue May 26, 2020 2:20 pm

NCTom wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm The Hubble photo in infrared makes a nice addition. Sorry, don't know how to create the link.
https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1007f/
Okay, here's what I "discovered";
When you are writing a comment, notice the "buttons" (e.g. B (bold) U (underline)) above the Text box.
Click on one of the img* buttons, and 2 HTML "words" enclosed in square brackets will appear in the Text box.
Put the link to the photo between the two words.
At the spacetelescope.org page you posted, I "right clicked" on the IR image and selected "Copy Link Location" and pasted it between the 2 HTML img words below)

QED