APOD: Two Worlds, One Sun (2020 Aug 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Two Worlds, One Sun (2020 Aug 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:05 am

Image Two Worlds, One Sun

Explanation: How different does sunset appear from Mars than from Earth? For comparison, two images of our common star were taken at sunset, one from Earth and one from Mars. These images were scaled to have same angular width and featured here side-by-side. A quick inspection will reveal that the Sun appears slightly smaller from Mars than from Earth. This makes sense since Mars is 50% further from the Sun than Earth. More striking, perhaps, is that the Martian sunset is noticeably bluer near the Sun than the typically orange colors near the setting Sun from Earth. The reason for the blue hues from Mars is not fully understood, but thought to be related to forward scattering properties of Martian dust. The terrestrial sunset was taken in 2012 March from Marseille, France, while the Martian sunset was captured in 2015 by NASA's robotic Curiosity rover from Gale crater on Mars. Last week a new rover and a helicopter -- onboard Mars 2020 -- launched for Mars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

rj rl
Ensign

Re: APOD: Two Worlds, One Sun (2020 Aug 02)

Post by rj rl » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 am

Interesting, I thought the mechanism was well understood.

David Cooper

Post by David Cooper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

Note that the disc of the sun on Mars is not distorted by atmospheric refraction and remains undistorted.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:32 am

TwoWorldsOneSun_Bouic_1080.jpg

Interesting how the Earth sunset is orange; and the Mars sunset is blue! :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

ozoneman@comcast.net

Post by ozoneman@comcast.net » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am

My theory on the blue sky is Earth has clouds, water and with our atmosphere is orange while Mars has no clouds and no water (moisture)?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 am

Let's not forget that Earth is blue and Mars is red!

As Ethan Siegel of Forbes wrote (and you may not necessarily agree):
Ethan Siegel wrote:

With our magnetic field intact, our planet will remain blue and alive for the foreseeable future.
Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:51 pm

rj rl wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 am Interesting, I thought the mechanism was well understood.
Yes and no. It is entirely a function of the scattering agents in the atmosphere- gas molecules and dust particles. But since the details of the particles in the martian atmosphere are not well known, the details of the scattering are also unknown.

The principles of what's going on are extremely well described by current understanding; we're simply missing some of the inputs to the equations.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

skyping
Asternaut

Post by skyping » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Is "Two Worlds, One Sun" available for purchase as a wall poster? Very cool. Thanks David.

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm

ozoneman@comcast.net wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am My theory on the blue sky is Earth has clouds, water and with our atmosphere is orange while Mars has no clouds and no water (moisture)?
The reason for our blue sky on earth is Rayleigh scattering. It has nothing to do with water or clouds. Our sky turns orange at sunset because, with a longer path for sunlight to travel through, the blue gets scattered away.

The Martian sky is beige because of all the dust in the atmosphere. But there is not enough atmosphere to scatter the sunlight until sunset. BTW, Mars does have clouds, just not as much as Earth.

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Earth: blue sky and orange sunsets.
Mars: orange sky and blue sunsets.

How poetic! Or is it contrarian?

Hmm

Post by Hmm » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Imagine if it were possible to see what the sunset looks like from one of the "habitable zone" planets some day? Kepler 452b, for instance.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm

Eight worlds... one Sun...

Nice comparison ....

I was out looking at the sky about 1am... I had gotten an earlier shot of the Moon with Saturn and Jupiter on either side... but around 1am went out again... and in the east was startled to see a big red star... and I wondered and wondered what it could be... so checked with software and it was MARS!!!! LOL... I had not seen it for some time...and did not expect it to be so bright... Hope to get some shots soon...

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Boomer12k wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm Eight worlds... one Sun...

Nice comparison ....

I was out looking at the sky about 1am... I had gotten an earlier shot of the Moon with Saturn and Jupiter on either side... but around 1am went out again... and in the east was startled to see a big red star... and I wondered and wondered what it could be... so checked with software and it was MARS!!!! LOL... I had not seen it for some time...and did not expect it to be so bright... Hope to get some shots soon...

Same thing happened to me a few nights ago. Was walking from my observatory back up to the house and noticed the bright red object low in the east. Wasn't expecting it, because I haven't been paying attention to Mars lately, but didn't need to look it up. There are no red stars that bright, and none in that part of the sky. Nothing else it could be.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Boomer12k wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm I was out looking at the sky about 1am... I had gotten an earlier shot of the Moon with Saturn and Jupiter on either side... but around 1am went out again... and in the east was startled to see a big red star... and I wondered and wondered what it could be... so checked with software and it was MARS!!!!
Saturn does this to me all the time, though once I have a fix on it for the season, it doesn’t fool me again... until the next year.