APOD: Perseverance: How to Land on Mars (2021 Feb 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Perseverance: How to Land on Mars (2021 Feb 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 am

Image Perseverance: How to Land on Mars

Explanation: Slung beneath its rocket powered descent stage Perseverance hangs only a few meters above the martian surface, captured here moments before its February 18 touchdown on the Red Planet. The breath-taking view followed an intense seven minute trip from the top of the martian atmosphere. Part of a high resolution video, the picture was taken from the descent stage itself during the final skycrane landing maneuver. Three taut mechanical cables about 7 meters long are visible lowering Perseverance, along with an electrical umbilical connection feeding signals (like this image), to a computer on board the car-sized rover. Below Perseverance streamers of martian dust are kicked-up from the surface by the descent rocket engines. Immediately after touchdown, the cables were released allowing the descent stage to fly to a safe distance before exhausting its fuel as planned.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Perseverance: How to Land on Mars (2021 Feb 20)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 am

What I remember from Viking was the way that everything was custom, everything was hardened, every gram was counted. Increasingly, we're seeing newer technology, off-the-shelf parts, and luxury "fluff" like video on the skycrane, audio, and other stuff that simply wouldn't have been considered in the past. What we're seeing, I think, is spacecraft engineering settling into a comfort zone, a kind of routine. (That isn't meant to take anything away from that engineering, which is obviously first rate. It's a good thing that the comfort and confidence levels have risen to the point that this kind of stuff can be included.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ZootMurph14
Asternaut

Post by ZootMurph14 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 am

Is the video of this occasion online somewhere to be viewed. I would love to see it.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:25 pm

What I find fascinating besides this landing itself is also the nature of reality pertaining to astronomical light speed and likewise radio wave speed. Here we read that the landing sequence took 7 minutes. On the NASA tv site in the pre landing discussion I heard that the planet Mars was about 11 light minutes away from Earth. So that means that when I was watching on NASA the 'live' landing, and the announcer began to say, while all the technicians were intensely watching their monitors, that Mars 2020 had begun landing sequence. Speed is 12 kilometers per second. Then moments later the parachute has been deployed successfully, speed 9 kilometers a second - that in reality Perseverance was already sitting on the ground of Mars for over 3 minutes! So why all the anxiety about the speed. The rover was already safely on the ground or one smoking pile of wreckage.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm

De58te,
Sir, you are a steely-eyed rocket man!
Or else, you really don't understand the situation, and how the mission controllers felt as they waited to know the awful truth!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:42 pm

rover_drop1024.jpg

:D Little Rover dropped on Mars;
Sleeker than our Earthly cars!🏎
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Phobos1
Ensign

Post by Phobos1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:07 pm

It's so SHINY!
Well, that'll change in a year or two.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 am Image Perseverance: How to Land on Mars

Explanation: Slung beneath its rocket powered descent stage Perseverance hangs only a few meters above the martian surface, captured here moments before its February 18 touchdown on the Red Planet. The breath-taking view followed an intense seven minute trip from the top of the martian atmosphere. Part of a high resolution video, the picture was taken from the descent stage itself during the final skycrane landing maneuver. Three taut mechanical cables about 7 meters long are visible lowering Perseverance, along with an electrical umbilical connection feeding signals (like this image), to a computer on board the car-sized rover. Below Perseverance streamers of martian dust are kicked-up from the surface by the descent rocket engines. Immediately after touchdown, the cables were released allowing the descent stage to fly to a safe distance before exhausting its fuel as planned.
As ZootMurph14 wished, so do I: "where's the video!" So, the rover is "a few meters above the surface" - let's call it at least 3 - and the cables are 7 meters long, and the rocket engines on the descent stage STILL managed to kick up some dust from at least 10 meters below! I presume that not all of that dust was so obliging as to not land on the rover, but hopefully not much did. Then again, hopefully, over time, just as with Spirit and Opportunity, the Martian wind will just as often blow dust off the Perseverance as on to it!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:52 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm
APOD Robot wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 am Image Perseverance: How to Land on Mars

As ZootMurph14 wished, so do I: "where's the video!" So, the rover is "a few meters above the surface" - let's call it at least 3 - and the cables are 7 meters long, and the rocket engines on the descent stage STILL managed to kick up some dust from at least 10 meters below! I presume that not all of that dust was so obliging as to not land on the rover, but hopefully not much did. Then again, hopefully, over time, just as with Spirit and Opportunity, the Martian wind will just as often blow dust off the Perseverance as on to it!
Well, since this rover uses a RTG power source, not solar panels, I don't think dust is a major concern.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:52 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm

Well, since this rover uses a RTG power source, not solar panels, I don't think dust is a major concern.
Ah, thanks, I forgot about that! I always did think solar power was too tenuous a power solution to bet your mission on. Three cheers for radioactivity!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bls0326
Science Officer

Post by bls0326 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:52 pm

The "skycrane landing" link has a good animation of the entire landing sequence.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline ... t-landing/

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:06 am

The parachute deployment at 1530 km/hr is the most incredible moment to me. The atmosphere of Mars is thinner than Earth's but still, this parachute, the result of NASA's ASPIRE project, is the unrivalled champion of all parachutes. It can produce and tolerate over 30,000 kg of drag force.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Mark Goldfain

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am

Thank you, MarkBour! Althought that tiny video just shows what happens, not how, it's still a fascinating part of the solution.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 pm

I can imagine Slim Pickins riding this thing down to Mars!
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 pm

bls0326 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:52 pm The "skycrane landing" link has a good animation of the entire landing sequence.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline ... t-landing/
Great animation/video!
--

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm ready to see more pictures of what Perseverance finds out there! :D
Orin

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:21 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm
I'm ready to see more pictures of what Perseverance finds out there! :D
News Briefing: Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover Update
Feb. 22 at 2 p.m. EST [2/22/2021 at 2]

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline ... ch-online/
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline ... ch-online/

Thanks Art: I'm gonna watch!
Orin

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm

Go home, Earthlings!
https://www.reddit.com/r/memes/comments ... arthlings/

John
Why can't I post a copy of that pic here, or upload a copy from my hard disc?

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm Go home, Earthlings!

John
You mean the pic with the obscenity? It's a small jpeg and shouldn't pose any technical problem. I'd try posting it myself, but I don't want to incur the wrath of any censors here. (I can't imagine - well, I can, but it seems unlikely - an OCR censor would be smart enough to disallow the pic.)

EDIT: fixed to use "censor" instead of "sensor". (Thanks, neufer.)
Last edited by johnnydeep on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm
Go home, Earthlings!

You mean the pic with the obscenity? It's a small jpeg and shouldn't pose any technical problem. I'd try posting it myself, but I don't want to incur the wrath of any sensors here. (I can't imagine - well, I can, but it seems unlikely - an OCR sensor would be smart enough to disallow the pic.)
https://www.etymonline.com/word/censor wrote:
sensor (n.) 1947, from an adjective (1865), a shortened form of sensory: 1749, "pertaining to sense or sensation," from Latin sensorius, from sensus, past participle of sentire "to perceive, feel".
censor (v.) 1833, "to act as a censor (of news or public media); from censor (n.).
censor (n.) 1530s, "Roman magistrate of 5c. B.C.E. who took censuses and oversaw public manners and morals," from French censor and directly from Latin censor, from censere "to appraise, value, judge," from PIE root *kens- "speak solemnly, proclaim" (source also of Sanskrit amsati "recites, praises," asa "song of praise").

They also had charge of public finances and public works. Transferred sense of "officious judge of morals and conduct" in English is from 1590s. Latin censor also had a transferred sense of "a severe judge; a rigid moralist; a censurer."

From 1640s as "official empowered to examine books, plays (later films, etc.) to see they are free of anything immoral or heretical." By the early decades of the 19c. the meaning of the English word had concentrated into "state agent charged with suppression of speech or published matter deemed politically subversive."
censer (n.) "vessel used for burning incense before an altar," mid-13c., from Old French censier, a shortened form of encensier, from encens "incense" late 13c., "gum or other substance producing a sweet smell when burned," from Old French encens (12c.), from Late Latin incensum "burnt incense," literally "that which is burnt," noun use of neuter past participle of Latin incendere "set on fire" (see incendiary). Meaning "smoke or perfume of incense" is from late 14c.
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm
Go home, Earthlings!

You mean the pic with the obscenity? It's a small jpeg and shouldn't pose any technical problem. I'd try posting it myself, but I don't want to incur the wrath of any sensors here. (I can't imagine - well, I can, but it seems unlikely - an OCR sensor would be smart enough to disallow the pic.)
https://www.etymonline.com/word/censor wrote:
sensor (n.) 1947, from an adjective (1865), a shortened form of sensory: 1749, "pertaining to sense or sensation," from Latin sensorius, from sensus, past participle of sentire "to perceive, feel".
censor (v.) 1833, "to act as a censor (of news or public media); from censor (n.).
censor (n.) 1530s, "Roman magistrate of 5c. B.C.E. who took censuses and oversaw public manners and morals," from French censor and directly from Latin censor, from censere "to appraise, value, judge," from PIE root *kens- "speak solemnly, proclaim" (source also of Sanskrit amsati "recites, praises," asa "song of praise").

They also had charge of public finances and public works. Transferred sense of "officious judge of morals and conduct" in English is from 1590s. Latin censor also had a transferred sense of "a severe judge; a rigid moralist; a censurer."

From 1640s as "official empowered to examine books, plays (later films, etc.) to see they are free of anything immoral or heretical." By the early decades of the 19c. the meaning of the English word had concentrated into "state agent charged with suppression of speech or published matter deemed politically subversive."
censer (n.) "vessel used for burning incense before an altar," mid-13c., from Old French censier, a shortened form of encensier, from encens "incense" late 13c., "gum or other substance producing a sweet smell when burned," from Old French encens (12c.), from Late Latin incensum "burnt incense," literally "that which is burnt," noun use of neuter past participle of Latin incendere "set on fire" (see incendiary). Meaning "smoke or perfume of incense" is from late 14c.
Yeah, I thought I might have had that wrong. Fixed now.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm EDIT: fixed to use "censor" instead of "sensor". (Thanks, neufer.)
An OCR sensor might censor the image, preventing censure from a moderator.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:33 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm EDIT: fixed to use "censor" instead of "sensor". (Thanks, neufer.)
An OCR sensor might censor the image, preventing censure from a moderator.
Yup. But I did only mean an "OCR censor" at the time I first wrote it... Sensei :ssmile:
--