APOD: Total Lunar Eclipse from Sydney (2021 May 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Total Lunar Eclipse from Sydney (2021 May 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri May 28, 2021 4:06 am

Image Total Lunar Eclipse from Sydney

Explanation: The reddened shadow of planet Earth plays across the lunar disk in this telescopic image taken on May 26 near Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. On that crisp, clear autumn night a Perigee Full Moon slid through the northern edge of the shadow's dark central umbra. Short for a lunar eclipse, its total phase lasted only about 14 minutes. The Earth's shadow was not completely dark though. Instead it was suffused with a faint red light from all the planet's sunsets and sunrises seen from the perspective of an eclipsed Moon, the reddened sunlight scattered by Earth's atmosphere. The HDR composite of 6 exposures also shows the wide range of brightness variations within Earth's umbral shadow against a faint background of stars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Total Lunar Eclipse from Sydney (2021 May 28)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri May 28, 2021 11:49 am

WardTLE2021c1024.jpg
Beautiful view of eclipse from Sydney Australia! By Peter Ward
Cherney_TLE201807_1024.jpg
I like this shot from Alex Cherney as well!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Fri May 28, 2021 1:39 pm

I hate to say this because the good folks here put in a lot of work but the one thing I can’t stand is how we will have days of pretty pictures of the eclipsed moon before and after a lunar eclipse and I just get quite bored of it.
Again, just my opinion but I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Nothing against the incredibly talented photographers or the APOD writeups it’s just a horse that has been whipped so many times...

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 pm

XgeoX wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:39 pm I hate to say this because the good folks here put in a lot of work but the one thing I can’t stand is how we will have days of pretty pictures of the eclipsed moon before and after a lunar eclipse and I just get quite bored of it.
Again, just my opinion but I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Nothing against the incredibly talented photographers or the APOD writeups it’s just a horse that has been whipped so many times...

Eric
Well, astronomical landscapes with eclipses in them can be quite nice. Today's image, however, is thoroughly uninteresting. And that's nothing against the technical merits of the image. I've got dozens of similar images I've made myself during eclipse. And they're all basically the same: the Moon with a sort of red gradient across it. No different, really, from an uneclipsed Moon. Pretty much, every image of an eclipsed Moon, absent an interesting background, looks about the same.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Jesus Piñeiro V.

Post by Jesus Piñeiro V. » Fri May 28, 2021 2:01 pm

This image has a huge collection of processing problems. Things have to be done well to give them recognition and to serve as an example to the rest of the community. So sorry

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 pm

How come the Australians have all the luck when it comes to astronomical happenings? (and Chili but not Auburn, WA?) pass the ice cold one
Wolf Kotenberg