Galactic Center Star Clusters (APOD 10 Aug 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
lowpsi
Asternaut

Galactic Center Star Clusters (APOD 10 Aug 2006)

Post by lowpsi » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:17 pm

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the comet like item near picture center?

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm not sure I understand since the whole structure appears somewhat comet-like. I suppose perhaps you are referring to a smaller white streak aligned about 30 degrees from horizontal just below the middle of the frame?

My first thought was an x-ray jet from a black hole, but in retrospect I think an x-ray jet would have to be pointed roughly at us to be directly detected. However, it may also be an x-ray jet interacting with interstellar gas. Since it appears to be nearly white, it is presumably a mix of high, medium, and low energy x-rays (shown in blue, green, and red). Perhaps it is a star cluster shadowed by closer features in the galactic core, or perhaps it's a more distant x-ray source that has been gravitationally lensed.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:23 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060810.html
The streak in the middle does indeed look comet like; but given the distande it is probably larger than our solar system. :roll:
Orin

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:59 pm

I seem to recall those structures being called 'filaments' (though I could be misremembering), and that astrophysicists weren't entirely sure what the heck was causing them. :)
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:43 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050403.html

Qev
This one is what I believe you are refering to. And I believe you're right about the filaments