too many Reflections on the Inner Solar System

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
christopher antonsen
Asternaut

Post by christopher antonsen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:51 am

Why are there more reflections on the surface of the water than appear in the sky? Seems to be a bit too much massaging of the image here.
ckant

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
President Abraham Lincoln

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:57 am

what image?

William Roeder
Ensign

Post by William Roeder » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:29 pm

He's refering to Reflections on the Inner Solar System

In it you can see the near horrizon with structures in the reflection but can't see them above. You should see the red sunset in the reflection but don't.

christopher antonsen
Asternaut

Post by christopher antonsen » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:11 am

actually, there are more celestial bodies refltected on the water surface than appear in the sky. I suspect that the author of this photo did too much making the sky good for his submission and wiped out Venus in order to make a more asthetically pleasing image. but this is a scientific forum, one that I encourage my kid's to visit, and such image falsification kind of burns my rear end (how's my political correctness on that - will the FCC be upset?). anyway, there are 3 major celestial bodies reflected, but only the moon and Mercury in the sky!
ckant

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
President Abraham Lincoln

Boldra
Ensign

Re: too many Reflections on the Inner Solar System

Post by Boldra » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:02 pm

christopher antonsen wrote:anyway, there are 3 major celestial bodies reflected, but only the moon and Mercury in the sky!

Are you talking about these lights below the moon? They are also the moon, reflected again because of ripples on the water.

Boldra

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:03 am

William Roeder wrote:In it you can see the near horrizon with structures in the reflection but can't see them above. You should see the red sunset in the reflection but don't.
It's reflection of grass sticking out of the water. You should see the red sunset in the reflection right behind this grass, but you don't just like you don't see grass itself - because it's too dark, or because there's too much grass.

I would agree with Boldra on ripples and moon (though his image does not its best for an illustration).