July 24 - Chicago Meteorites caption

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Bad Buoys
Ensign

July 24 - Chicago Meteorites caption

Post by Bad Buoys » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:04 am

I enjoy having your site as my homepage and am offered new, strange, beautiful, thought provoking pictures on a daily basis.

But no matter what material I'm absorbing, be it a newscast on the new, Seattle library or a technical manual; an English error jerks me out of my concentration and into the anal realm of proper grammer. In the case of the newscast, the reported kept dropping the first 'r' in 'library'.

So with the average education level being much higher on the NASA and APOD staffs I was surprised to find a slight misuse in todays APOD. The caption concludes, "...vast majority of meteors is much smaller..."

This would be correct if they were speaking of the majority being smaller, but I believe they mean the meteors are much smaller; so the verb tense should be plural.

Keep up the great site!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:58 am

stenning wrote:I would have thought that the debris from a meteorite would be extremely HOT but there seems to be no suggestion of anything being burnt or even scorched a little. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:38 pm

BB, and you should talk?
*QUOTE* "In the case of the newscast, the reported kept dropping the first 'r' in 'library'."
Shouldn't that be reporter?
(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself BB,,,, :oops:

Stenning
Yes it is strange that our science fiction, and scientists, keep pointing to burning big craters from meteorites, yet none seem to appear from meteorites?!?!

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938