True Color Declaration?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Hal Womack
Asternaut

True Color Declaration?

Post by Hal Womack » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 am

A) Would it be worthwhile explicitly to affirm the "true color" status
of the apparent minority of APOD photos [other than mere B & W] which
fall into this category? E.g, the Ring Nebula of 23 July.

Sometimes, while admiring the patterns revealed by false color treatments,
I wonder if the universe looks prettier through APOD portals than it would
[or does] to the naked eye of the deep space traveler looking at it only through plain glass.

B) Protocol point: Since our honorable host & moderator aka censor wishes _a priori_ to exclude a significant number of topics of discussion, would it be both polite & helpful to provide links or at least explicit references to the various more appropriate sites therefor ?
Hal Womack 3-dan, San Francisco de Alta California. 4TJAM? = "For Truth, Justice And the Milky way"

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:24 am

For now this is to B:

Yes, indeed, I lock many topics here. But this is because there are very same topics already started by other people. I think noone benefits from having 10 separate APOD-XX-YY topics - IMHO it only trashes the forum. I take time to quote original thread [edit: I don't do that any more], I take time to provide link to topic which I leave opened. I explain it to people via PM. It is me who stuck "Thank you for 10 years" topic - imagine having those 3 pages of same posts in different threads. Actually, I am simply taking care of flooding. If you don't like it, PM Dan Cordell for moderator status, so you can unlock these posts and wreak some havoc...

Calming down... Slowly...

:evil:

To A:

I haven't anything to say. But, as it seems you are not the one who check other threads often, I can provide you a couple of references:

:arrow: New feature discussion
:arrow: False color discussion

so you can have an idea where threads like yours will end up.
Last edited by makc on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hal Womack
Asternaut

Post by Hal Womack » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:55 am

A) Looks like a [True Color] designation on the relevant pix might be of interest to at least some of us, should the producers in their wisdom wish to consider such a mutation.

B) WRT the protocol Q: Honcho "makc" got demonically steamed behind my simple, polite inquiry as a newcomer noting the rather forbidding attitude of the introductory declaration. Battle fatigue?

Is "makc" a volunteer in this APOD role? Are any of the APOD staff Federal employees tasked with the presentation of this feature?

C) I entered a question in the poll box at the bottom of the original posting page. Then AFAIK it disappeared. Have I overlooked the magic button?

D) APOD = My favorite Website of them all. I have been recommending it for years to one & all. IMHO we should quickly go a lot further in making such grand views generally available.
Hal Womack 3-dan, San Francisco de Alta California. 4TJAM? = "For Truth, Justice And the Milky way"

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Hal Womack wrote:B) blah blah blah

Is "makc" a volunteer in this APOD role? Are any of the APOD staff Federal employees tasked with the presentation of this feature?

C) I entered a question in the poll box at the bottom of the original posting page. Then AFAIK it disappeared. Have I overlooked the magic button?
B. It was like this: Dan said to me "say, fellow, this site is boring and I have no time to clean up turds people leave here and there... and you seem to visit often so why don't you do us a favour". I said "Yep why not, not much postings to take care of, anyway". And - click - I got this "moderator" status. As noone pays me for this, I am doing it in the way that I (and so, hopefully, everybody else) would feel myself (themselves) better using forum afterwards (that includes not going over dozens of same threads). As I said, you may PM some boss to get yourself equal power, or you even can start poll like "makc should not be a mod. yes/no?"... Oh, wait - you can't:

C. Question is not enough. You should add 2+ answer options.