(Aug 9 APOD) Moon ?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
perseus
Asternaut

(Aug 9 APOD) Moon ?

Post by perseus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:40 am

My first post on this board although I have been following APOD for the last couple of years.

I was wondering what that bright light in the sky is on todays picture (9th Aug 05). Looks like sun, however sun has to be below horizon. So I suppose it must be moon although full moon looks a bit high just after sun set.

Aleksandar B. Nedelkovic
Asternaut

should be Moon, but...

Post by Aleksandar B. Nedelkovic » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:53 am

2005 08 09:

Dear Sirs,

in today’s picture of “Venus belt”, right in the middle of the blue sky, above the sea, is something pale, round, grayish and vague, that might be the full Moon – or is it? But the setting Sun is mentioned, and a full Moon is not, so I am sure many people will be mystified.

Sincerely,
Prof. Dr. Alexander B. Nedelkovic, Beograd (which is the true name of Belgrade), Serbia

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Based on the given data the object should be the moon.
"During a cloudless twilight, just before sunrise or after sunset,"

Often we are left with out sufficient data about some of the APOD pictures and we must rely on what IS stated. Besides I think that would have been a much better picture for the Earth Sciences POD :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Aug 9 apod moon?

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 pm

Judging from the piers shadow in the water, I would guess that it is the sun. The moon would not be full setting behind the sun. Just my opinion.
Orin

rigelan
Science Officer

Post by rigelan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:58 am

I agree, It's probably not the moon (the moon would be full), unless it is an out-of-focus moon, or perhaps an out-of-focus Venus. It looks more like a light artifact than any astrnomical phenomenon. Maybe its a light artifact from a headlight that is off-camera?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:55 pm

Considering one important fact: "The belt of venus appears opposite the sun" it would have to be the moon. The belt of venus is caused by the sun shining through the atmosphere and the earths shadow.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:19 pm

After reviewing the facts. I see that the belt appears after sunset or before sunrise in almost all directions including opposite the sun. I must agree that it has to be the moon.
Orin

michaelcstephen
Asternaut

apod aug 9th belt of venus

Post by michaelcstephen » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:31 am

I'm a novice, so need a clarification on this one. The text says the belt of venus is visible before sunrise or after sunset, but in the picture the sun appears to be in the sky...or am I looking at a full moon? :?:

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:17 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the moon. The camera lens used for the photo was probably 35mm or so; it wasn't able to capture any detail on the moon's surface.