Spiral Galaxies

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Fred Cunningham
Asternaut

Spiral Galaxies

Post by Fred Cunningham » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:08 pm

Why are some glaxies in a spiral shape?

ta152h0
Schooled

spiral galaxies shape

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Do an experiment. Take an electric drill ( your black hole ) and chuck in a paint mixer ( your black hole motion ) and place it in a pail of water ( your galaxy in steady state ). Turn it on and watch ..........the rest of the story is up to you..
Wolf Kotenberg

Aqua
Ensign

Post by Aqua » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:27 pm

Its becoming clearer that the larger spiral galaxies are an accumulation of smaller galaxies. As the larger gravity well captures a lesser one, it absorbs some of the kinetic energy of the captured object. That is one mechanism to explain why galaxies spin. BUT there appears to be something much more powerful going on than gravitational collision theories account for! That is, that we live in a spinning 'electro dynamic' or 'plasma universe'. THAT plasma is created where interdimension forces are injected into local space-time. Interdimensional protoplasmic energy slows below the speed of light and decays into radiation then matter... THAT's what's at the core of the Sun.. and the Earth (Old One) and every other star and galaxy and atom.

Storm_norm
Ensign

just an abservation

Post by Storm_norm » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:33 am

does anyone else see the resemblance of the shape, seen from above, of hurricanes and spiral galaxies??? its like the earth is telling us that galaxies are the formations of millions of storms into one gigantic storm called a galaxy. almost like tornadoes joining to become one, or heaven forbid hurricanes to join.

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:06 pm

Cool thought - hurracanes etc. are of course shaped by forces in a surrounding medium (ie our atmosphere) - so what you are implying is that galaxies are shaped from the 'atmosphere' of our universe.

Dark energy? Who knows!
8)
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

Storm_norm
Ensign

exactly

Post by Storm_norm » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:36 pm

To be honest, I just think its a big coincidence. I mean how can a galaxy share the same dynamics as a hurricane. but maybe we don't need to think about it that hard. If there was a medium in space which we weren't aware of, doesn't it make sense that the early universe, being maybe 300,000 light years across acted more like an atmoshpere with fluxuations in temp, currents, oceans, lol.

Black wHole
Asternaut

Post by Black wHole » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:48 pm

Hurricanes, redistribute energy in the atmosphere. They bring warm equatorial air to northern latitudes and cool down ocean surface temps.

Now since galaxies are shaped like hurricanes, or vice versa, maybe they are redistributing some form of matter or energy or both. I read that black holes may be torus shaped and that matter or energy could possibly travel through the dougnut hole, if this were ever proven it seems a functional connection between hurricanes and galaxies would exist...what do you all think?

Numbers
Asternaut

Post by Numbers » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:59 pm

The analogy of a galaxy with a hurricane is interesting in more than one way. We can see a hurricane because, although it is mostly air, it also contains a lot of water and other matter sucked up from the ocean it passes over. When you look at a picture of a spiral galaxy there is usually a bright blob in the centre that I have always assumed is a black hole. It isn’t black because it is not absorbing light, but reflecting it. Which raises the (to me) interesting question of why we can even see galaxies at all. The rest of a galaxy is supposed to be made up of pretty much empty space, isn’t it? So what is the light reflecting off so that we can see the galaxy?
Everything the laws of the universe do not prohibit must finally happen

Storm_norm
Ensign

dust

Post by Storm_norm » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:20 am

I was always taught that dust was the main reflector. but wouldn't it also make sense that some galaxies are more dense or have more star clusters?

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:40 am

Galaxies are mostly "empty" space, but the glares of the billions of stars lights them up - and also the dust they contain.
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!