Venus!

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Aqua
Ensign

Venus!

Post by Aqua » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:02 pm

Today's IPOD image of Venus shows that the surface bears few impact craters. At Venus, something appears to be resurfacing the entire planet? like Jupiter's moon, Io? Volcanism? Corrosive atmosphere? Where IS all that sulphuric acid coming from if naught volcanoes? How much of Venus' atmosphere sublimates into space annually? How much is replaced? Does Venus outgas sulphur like Earth outgasses methane? What does that say about its evolution? Did it actually evolve around Sol? or was it perhaps 'captured' during a close encounter with another star or brown dwarf? Odd planet.. Venus.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:08 am

Did you have a question about Venus? Just kidding.
Some day we may get all those answers, or at least the data to figure it out for ourselves.

Venus is a most interesting planet indeed. Did you know that the same face of Venus always faces the Earth? Just like our moon. :shock:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

crosscountry
Ensign

Post by crosscountry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:54 pm

craterchains wrote: Did you know that the same face of Venus always faces the Earth? Just like our moon. :shock:

Norval
That seems to be an exaggeration to me.

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:40 pm

I believe they ment that the same face of Venus always faces the sun as the Moon's face does with the Earth.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Venus orbit and rotation are synchronized so that the same face always faces Earth when the two planets are in close approach. I looked it up.
Orin

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:15 am

You are right, I don't remember ever reading this - I feel smarter today.

"Venus' rotation is somewhat unusual in that it is both very slow (243 Earth days per Venus day, slightly longer than Venus' year) and retrograde. In addition, the periods of Venus' rotation and of its orbit are synchronized such that it always presents the same face toward Earth when the two planets are at their closest approach. Whether this is a resonance effect or merely a coincidence is not known."

http://www.nineplanets.org/venus.html

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:20 pm

Anomalies such as Venus’s very slow retrograde rotation and resonance with Earth disqualifies the accretion disk theory for our solar system or someone has been messing with our solar system planetary bodies, big time.
Tic Toc