NGC 613: Spiral of Dust and Stars

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
J D Writer
Asternaut

Post by J D Writer » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:36 pm

This incredibly beautiful photograph has, if viewed as a piece of art, a very surreal appearance. The bright star in the foreground is illuminating the barred galaxy providing an unusual perspective.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:56 pm

I believe that the bright star is part of the Milky Way Galaxy. It really is an Awesome photo.
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't believe this galaxy is flat like other galaxies. It appears that the arm on the left is at an angle to the plane of the galaxy. It could be an optical illusion; but maybe it is the result of two galaxies that have merged.
Orin

natureday
Asternaut

Amazing

Post by natureday » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:49 pm

:roll:
It is so beautiful. It is almost hard to look at it. People just expect space to be black with some bright lights. THere is beauty everywhere!
Explore the world http://www.azerivista.com

Empeda
Ensign

Re: NGC 613: Spiral of Dust and Stars

Post by Empeda » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pm

J D Writer wrote:This incredibly beautiful photograph has, if viewed as a piece of art, a very surreal appearance. The bright star in the foreground is illuminating the barred galaxy providing an unusual perspective.
The foreground star won't be illuminatnig the galaxy it's too far away!

I agree about the arm - it does look like it's "sticking up" - but I would think it's an optical illusion - not saying it definitely is mind, it would be good to see some data on the star movements...
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

J D Writer
Asternaut

Post by J D Writer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:16 pm

It is apparent that my comments about this photograph have been misunderstood by some readers. I do not suggest that the bright star in the foreground is actually illuminating NGC 613, that is impossible. What I have suggested, however, is that you view it from a new perspective, suspend reality and see it as surrealistic. Then one can imagine the galaxy being in the foreground, the bright star in the background.........

need I explain further?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:31 pm

It is amazing how clear and in focus this photo is for a galaxy that is 64 million light years away. I wish we could get a 3-D image of this beautiful barrel galaxy.
Orin