Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka, Oct 13/05

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:36 pm

Empeda wrote:when I make these posts I'm supposed to be working so it might take a while.
Aren't all of us?.. You better have your boss got used to it (like I did).

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:48 pm

Here is where a couple of real time astronomers could help out with the true positions of those stars, say about where they were six thousand years ago? :)

My "boss" assigned me certain areas of research that spans many disciplines, and it appears that internet bulletin board discussions often relate to the research. Often I have helped ones that were "caught" on BBS's by bosses to show their boss just how relevant the employees postings were to their businesses. Sometimes not. :(

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:38 pm

I've got a program at home that does that - I'll look later.

At my work I'm supposed to be programming Homecare Assistance software - don't think I can get APOD under that scope!
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:54 pm

Empeda wrote:I've got a program at home that does that - I'll look later.

At my work I'm supposed to be programming Homecare Assistance software - don't think I can get APOD under that scope!
8) I am curious if they will line up when run through your program.

( don't use your HA software for it though,,, :wink: )

By chance are you aware of any software that could be used to do pattern recognition for crater chains in photos :?:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:01 pm

Well Empeda, you could justify this time spent posting and incorporated it into your Homecare Assistance software job by providing the invalid and sick in bed with delivering the stars right to their bedside or letting them look at the stars from the convenience of their bedside and discussing what they see in the images at Asterisk.
Tic Toc

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Empeda wrote:
makc wrote: if you think the match is accurate enough, consider this:

8) 8) 8)

as you can see, those piramids aligned just like these emoticons! perhaps, Eugyptian prophet have foreseen my post?
I see your point, but more sepcifically there is a line of three pyramids, but one of them is smaller and slightly offline, re: Orion's belt.

Plus I'm sure there are two other pyramids representing Betelguese and Rigel - I will try and find a picture (when I make these posts I'm supposed to be working so it might take a while.!! :wink: )
If you "Google" Pyramid, map and Orion you will find a site that shows the other two pyramid locations http://www.catchpenny.org/orion.html this is the first site on my list

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:44 am

Hmmm.. not very convincing is it? Shows the importance of reading around doesn't it....
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:40 am

Empeda
Were you able to find that retrograde program for the stars positions 6000 years ago?

J D Writer
Asternaut

position of belt stars

Post by J D Writer » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:59 pm

It appears that everyone is having a great deal of fun speculating about the position of the belt stars at a given time in history. They are not where they appear to be in any case, so what difference can it possibly make where they were when they were only "apparently" there to begin with.

Gods are always placed somewhere conveniently distanced from man, that way no explanation is required when they are not present and accounted for when needed.

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:20 am

craterchains wrote:Empeda
Were you able to find that retrograde program for the stars positions 6000 years ago?
I did yesterday but it look almost the same so I'm not sure if the program is shifting the stars (it says it is) so I'm going to try again with Barnard's Star as that's got a high proper motion.....