Question about interpretation of image

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ashe
Asternaut

Question about interpretation of image

Post by ashe » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:30 pm

I recognize that this is an infered image, and not an image in visible light, but I am having trouble interpreting this picture. The bright "stars" in the image appear to have diverse features. Some are sharp and "bluish" others are reddish and diffuse - as though they are viewed though dense dust. What is physical features of the center of the galaxy are conveyed by these different features? In addition, which are foreground objects and which ones really occugy the "crowded center" of the Milky Way? Thanks.

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:22 am

Hi, which image are you referring to?
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:24 am

I think you must be talking about the 23rd Oct Pic....

The image is the combined results of three exposures taking and three different wavelengths of infra-red. The colours are therefore false, with red showing cooler stars and blue showing hotter stars.

The galactic centre is obscured by a lot of dust so cannot be seen with visible light, so we are peering through an awful lot of dust in order to visualise this picture.
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!