Favorite APOD

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
bhrobards
Ensign

Re: Favorite APOD

Post by bhrobards » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
bhrobards wrote:How do you know its "all moving inwards?"
It's all moving outwards. This is very obvious in any animated images, as from SOHO. The only plasma that falls back onto the Sun is what is trapped in tightly closed magnetic fields, which are very close to the surface at the scale of this image. Of course, we have a variety of space-borne sensors monitoring solar wind and solar radiation, and it's all moving away from the Sun. As you'd expect, of course, given that there are no forces present to produce motion in the opposite direction.
Sorry didn't mean inwards. I'm not sure you are right. I have seen videos that show electrons moving in towards the sun through the outward moving solar wind. Further the solar wind is obviously moving outward to very high latitudes. The three dimensional image reduced to two dimensions in a video would show solar wind moving north from the pole even if not emitted from 85-90 degrees N Lat. It appears as if the corona is different in character at the polar regions from the remainder of solar emissions this is pretty interesting, why.

bhrobards
Ensign

Post by bhrobards » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:08 am

Another favorite,due to its obvious bi-lateral symetry, resembling neither explosion or gravitational effects. The structure of the wings resemble nothing so much as a flowing glow mode plasma and Z pinch in the lab. Particularly the feathery ends of the inner sheaths.

A thousand pardons effendi.
Last edited by bhrobards on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:34 pm

bhrobards wrote:Another favorite,due to its obvious bi-lateral symetry, resembling neither explosion or gravitational effects. The structure of the wings resemble nothing so much as a flowing glow mode plasma and Z pinch in the lab.
Do we get to know to what you are referrring, or do we just guess.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bongman
Ensign

Post by bongman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:32 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041017.html for me it's gotta be the spirograph nebula....

sachu
Asternaut

Post by sachu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:14 pm

maybe not quite relevant -however -for some time I have enjoyed putting the APOD pictures on my desktop background -switching around whenever a really fine juicy one showed up. This option no longer appears on the menu items. Did you change this option or has something happened with my browser program????
Sachu :(

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm

sachu wrote:maybe not quite relevant -however -for some time I have enjoyed putting the APOD pictures on my desktop background -switching around whenever a really fine juicy one showed up. This option no longer appears on the menu items. Did you change this option or has something happened with my browser program????
Sachu :(
That would be under the control of your browser.

(Right click on picture in browser, set as background)
(Right click on picture in browser, save picture as ..., right click on desktop, select properties, set desktop background)

sachu
Asternaut

Post by sachu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks Bystander,
Hmmmm. Yesterday the possibility was back on the menu selection after right clicking on the picture - today it is gone again. There but not in bold and therefore not clickable. Dunno. I can still get pics onto the desktop background by saving them first etc . Not a big deal The computer seems to have more of a mind of its own by the hour.
Sachu

clarityx
Asternaut

Post by clarityx » Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 am

I am so impressed seen here. Thank you for great pictures

Hofi
Ensign

Post by Hofi » Sat May 23, 2009 7:13 am

Hi!

My favourite is one of the last days:
Sagittarius and the Central Milky Way
Rob Gendler has - as usual - done a very good job! :P :P

But I think every APOD is very well!! :lol: 8)
Best wishes,
Thomas Hofstätter

http://hidden-space.at.tf

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090107.html
This is one of my faves of the central region. The enlarged version is truely amazing, especially that "Swirling Vortex of Doom" in the lower right corner.

vielong
Asternaut

Post by vielong » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:25 am

hi hofi i have to agree with you it is definetly one of the best APOD shots ive seen myself.

and thanks everyone for this wonderful images!
assurance vie

Vivian
Ensign

Post by Vivian » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 am

well, I found this web on June 8th, 2009. Since then, I have never missed any picture.
In my opinion, it is really hard to say which one is the best, but the one that gave me the deepest impression was this~
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090608.html

Gecko23
Asternaut

Post by Gecko23 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 pm

My favorite is the Carina Nebula. A cropped version of my favorite version appeared on April 25, 2007 and on other days I think, but here's the full version:

http://heritage.stsci.edu/2007/16/index.html

I especially like the Herbig-Haro object on the right side, about three quarters through the image to the right. It looks like a demon or ninja or something, so I cropped it, rotated it a little, and I'm using it as my desktop. Is there any detailed information about this particular structure anywhere?

ricardelico
Ensign

Post by ricardelico » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 am

Today's! Image

"My Extended Arms Welcome Your Visit to Planet Earth!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:01 am

Gecko23 wrote:My favorite is the Carina Nebula. A cropped version of my favorite version appeared on April 25, 2007 and on other days I think, but here's the full version: http://heritage.stsci.edu/2007/16/index.html

I especially like the Herbig-Haro object on the right side, about three quarters through the image to the right. It looks like a demon or ninja or something, so I cropped it, rotated it a little, and I'm using it as my desktop. Is there any detailed information about this particular structure anywhere?
ImageImage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes wrote:
<<An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy creatures (others include the dragon and the tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. The play A Thousand Cranes, by Kathryn Schultz Miller, dramatizes the story of little Sadako Sasaki of Hiroshima, who tried to stave off her death from radiation sickness by making one thousand origami cranes. Her classmates and other friends finished them for her after her death.>>
Art Neuendorffer

PLozar
Asternaut

Post by PLozar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 pm

My favorite is fairly recent:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081212.html

I grew up in the Santa Clara Valley, many years ago, and Lick Observatory (on Mt. Hamilton) was always on my horizon, so I've actually seen moonrise behind it more than once (never had the camera to photograph it, though). I've been to the observatory in person 3 times (and got to look through some of the telescopes once), and it's fascinating. Note, there's a website with 2 webcams (HamCam1 and HamCam2) that refresh the picture every 3 minutes and play back a "movie" of yesterday's pictures ... great fun.

[Later addition: Whoa, the web page linked to above also has a daily night sky movie. Meteor shower fun!]

KJackson
Asternaut

Post by KJackson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:04 am

One of my favorites is To Fly Free in Space. It reminds me of the Discovery Channel commercial which I also like.

I've created a page Popular APOD Images that shows popular APOD images according to digg.com.

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Well done KJackson! I loved that page. Wasted away half an hour of my time so it did. My favourite is still the sombrero galaxy, or the pillars of creation.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

wonderboy
Commander

Wallpaper

Post by wonderboy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

By far the best wallpaper I have ever seen is the most recent image on APOD of the icelandic volcano, absolutely stunning. Now that I have seen it and applied it to my desktop I have no need for the above sites thank you.

:)

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:24 pm

EDIT, I forgot bystander put my post in here, so I posted in here twice saying the same thing, my bad.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:38 pm

ricardelico wrote:Today's! Image

"My Extended Arms Welcome Your Visit to Planet Earth!

this is a good'un, Its now my desktop background :)

Thankashu

Paul.

Hofi
Ensign

Post by Hofi » Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi!

I will add today's APOD to the list of favourites. The Faces of Mars. I really like the idea of letting children paint the planets. It helps increasing the fascination on the universe. The children of today are the (possible) astronomers of tomorrow!

postmarck

Post by postmarck » Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 am

I cannot figure how this is not a near-unanimous choice.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061016.html

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 am

postmarck wrote:I cannot figure how this is not a near-unanimous choice.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061016.html
That is, By far, my favorite image of that planet (and a nice pixel of us at 9:30)