4,500 Kilometers Above Dione

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
GOLEM
Asternaut

4,500 Kilometers Above Dione

Post by GOLEM » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:32 am

These aren't impact craters, they are sinkholes. :evil:

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:07 am

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they're just sink holes?

Also, per this statement: "while the crater's center is visible on the lower right," where in the lower right is the crater visible? I thought it was the crater towards the upper center? (I guess that's what thought did for me! :lol: ) Hmmm, any clarification?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:28 pm

I believe it's the lower right of the crater rather than the lower right of the picture.
Orin

mrbbking
Asternaut

maybe it's a complex crater...

Post by mrbbking » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:39 pm

"where in the lower right is the crater visible?"

I think that's referring to the peak at the lower-right of the photo.

Looks to my amateur eye like it could be a complex crater: http://www.solarviews.com/eng/tercrate.htm

ch.
Asternaut

impact + sinkhole?

Post by ch. » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:30 pm

If Dione's made of ice -- or at least, has an icy covering -- then perhaps whatever it was that slammed into the surface had not only sufficient kinetic energy in it to leave a crater but also heat energy which then melted the surrounding ice as it went into the surface, leaving those fresh white walls that give the impression of a sinkhole ...

Ch.

ta152h0
Schooled

dione

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 pm

Can Cassini get closer or there is an atmosphere on the beast ?? Is Cassini able to change orbit ???
Wolf Kotenberg

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:20 am

There is no atmosphere on Dione, Cassini may get closer on a future pass, it requires too much fuel to make anything other than small corrections or changes in it's orbit.

Jim Bignell
Asternaut

Lines on Dione

Post by Jim Bignell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:12 pm

In the picture of Dione posted 26 October 2005, there appear to be many fine lines running about 355 degrees from bottom to top. Are they caused by the photographic process or are they actual lines on the surface? If surface lines, is there a hypothesis as to their cause (origin)?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:00 am

With out sounding to "un-political", I give those lines running between 11:30 and 5:30 about a 90 percent chance of being what are known as catina, catine, catini, or commonly known as crater chains.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:32 pm

And again Dione is the main point of discussion from this image.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051026.html

FieryIce (Gale) and I may have to admit that Dione has more crater chains than any other surface, even beating out Mars and Phobos.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:40 pm

S. Bilderback wrote:There is no atmosphere on Dione, Cassini may get closer on a future pass, it requires too much fuel to make anything other than small corrections or changes in it's orbit.
What the heck is this about fuel? Cassini has over 74 lbs of Plutonium, three genies, I don't recall if that is over 74 lbs per genie or just over 74 lbs period, so what is this about fuel?
Tic Toc

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:25 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051026.html

If this is the image you are talking about, they look like cracked ice to me.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 pm

Ok, but, uhmmmmmm don't put any ice in my drink please. :wink:

Downloading the higher res pics shows the crater chains much better.

Norval

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 pm

I was under the impression that "Crater Chains' have a definite starting point and a definite stopping point. these small lines traverse large areas and, to me at least, resemble stress fractures similar to europa.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:39 pm

hmmmm you may want to get a better high resolution monitor?

I run dual 19 inch View Sonic CRT .21 flat screen monitors for image viewing.

With out going in for a monitor that costs thousands of dollars I have found them to be the best. :wink:

Norval

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:55 pm

Craterchains,
The original image on APOD is only 156K - how can your superduper monitor show any more detail on that than an ordinary one?

So please show us where the craters are, using one line as an example.

I enclose a reduced image with arrows that show one 'streak', taken at random, that I can follow from top to bottom without a break, but NOT as a straight line. Surely a crater chain must be straight, or at least curved as it rounds a planetoid, not wiggly like this and most of the others?

John
(A convert in some cases! But not in this.)

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:53 am

BMAONE23
According to the scientists that research these things crater chains can have quite a variable. My personal requirements are a bit different, a bit more exacting that eliminate many of their "accepted crater chains".

Well, JohnD, Jim Bignell can see the "lines", the JPL site speaks of them, I see them, others have seen them, and you see one broken one. And by the way, the image on APOD is only 60kb. The .jpg file at JPL is as big as you say, and the .tif is 1 + meg. file.
But all that aside. Show "us"? Who else wants to know? :?

I may have a personal opinion, or two, about these types of crater chains, but it isn't "politically correct". My crater chain research ended over a year ago, other than collecting any new images that come in and show CS types of crater chains. You may have to ask someone over at BA to "show" them to you. Or, they may have another opinion as to what all those parallel lines are? :D

Norval