Folds on Europa. APOD of 2000 August 25

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:01 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000825.html

Has any one else done a "photo stitch" on that line to see what it comes togeather as?
Yep, a crater chain.

makc , Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:03 pm
couldn't be. we can see smaller craters there, why wouldn't optic resolve chains? also, "chains" shadow seem to be in other direction, or else those small features ain't craters.

Well there are plenty of other neat things in this picture to discuss. :D

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:33 pm

This was my birthday present to myself (Nov. 4), but an even better present would be to actually witness the formation of these "lines". :wink:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:33 am

Well that thin black bar in the left image is wider than in the right image. Where I would think in the right it would be classed as data drop out, but since it is wider in the sharper left image that could not be classed as data drop out.
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 am

When my screen saver tosses this one onto the screen all that see it have made comments and have asked questions. Kind of puzzling, that doesn't happen here.

Norval

gordhaddow
Ensign

Post by gordhaddow » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:59 pm

Sorry, but the 'stitch' does nothing for me except distort the 3 perfectly obvious chains in the left image to the right and below the gap in the mosaic. Have you tried projecting a fill of the missing data rather than a stitch? The image reminds me of Long Point Bay in deep winter, with the pressure ridges and long-wave surface ripples created by strong easterlies. There the craters would be slush ejected by the closing of the seams between the floes.
Gord
Slan go foill!

Aqua
Ensign

Post by Aqua » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:53 pm

The dynamics of impact(s) on thin crust 'water-ice' moons is an interesting subject indeed! Extreme low temperatures transform water ice into a 'rocklike' density... further complicating matters?

What would the antipolar nodes of a multi-impact event look like? Harmonic resonances anyone?

Gravitational tugs and pulls by the 'parent body' might perpetuate those resonances? Thereby extending lines of fracturing?

Do cratering events on ice moons provide 'seed points' where harmonic nodal fragmentation occurs?

I think you are on to something CraterChains....

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:48 am

Hello
I like the image

Stay Cool
Harry : Smile and live another day.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:01 am

Yep, so do I.

Stay cool, :roll:

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:30 am

was thermal upwelling a theory for the creation of these features?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Yes, thermal up welling is thought to have formed these very smooth areas.Track in on the Europa images and you will find a couple of cool looking animation that show how this might happen. How else could those very smooth areas be formed? :wink:

Norval

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:30 am

Those smooth areas are huge, must be a humungous thermal upwelling.
:wink:
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Yes, some very strange up welling indeed. Like how that up welling went around some things, and through some other forms, and just plain seems to have a mind of it's own on where and how it "up welled". :shock:

But then that is probably something that is not "politically correct" to talk about. 8)

Norval

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:18 am

mmm its one of those questions I would really like to know the real answer to - mission to europa, anyone? :D

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:26 am

That is what these photos are from, the Galileo mission to the Jovian moon system. Another so soon would be too much to ask for in these politically troubled times when the real goal is to get to the moon. Again. :roll:

Norval

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:50 am

yeah but that was only a fly-by
i mean a REAL mission - landers, damnit, landers and rovers!!

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:17 am

Well more forward momentum in investigation and curiosity with honest disclosure is definitely in order.
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:21 pm

l3p3r
I'm with you on that one. More exploration landers should be sent out there, at least until we can send personnel. A mapping camera in orbit around some of those moons would be a big help at least.

QUOTING FieryIce "Well more forward momentum in investigation and curiosity with honest disclosure is definitely in order." UNQUOTE

I agree. I am so tired of having to wait for images and data to be released, just so some scientist can get their poop in a group, publish a paper, and get their kudos. It is after all OUR tax dollars paying for all this exploration of space. And, I do not just mean the big rich countries either, much of the resources that are needed to get us out into space come from little countries. Mankind has a right to know what is discovered WHEN it is discovered.

Norval :cry: