Crab Nebula Night Sky

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Asternaut

Crab Nebula Night Sky

Post by Newbie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:49 pm

From a non-astronomer -- something I've always wondered, and today's APOD prompts me to ask.
If I lived on some hypothetical planet in a place like the middle of the Crab Nebula, would the night sky there be illuminated by the light that creates the nebula from our vantage point here on earth?
Thanks.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:56 pm

I would imagine that If you were on a planet within the sphere of influence of the explosion that caused the Crab Nebula, you might be in a lot of trouble right now, If you survived. If you were in a system that was outside the bubble but close, the visible light would be (Slightly to moderately) different than the image. And the radiation levels would be very high.

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:15 pm

For a planet to support life in a nebula like that all that is needed is an incredibly strong magnetic field, then the constant aurora would be the dominant feature in the night sky.
The more I learn, the more I know what I don't know.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:16 am

You folks should really check out my ship, maybe boat?, any who it's not much by comparisons, but you may like it's home docking bay. It is inside a small moon, about 10 miles below the surface, called Luna. From there I have a short range teleporter to my home in Tacoma, of Washington state, usa, There I have my "boat" or earth based home, in moorage at a cool marina. It is best to live far beneath the surface of worlds that have
yet to get adequate sensors out far enough to give adequate warnings of inbound flares of radiation's. I keep a small transport craft attached to the bottom of my "boat" in case the transporter is knocked out and I have to get off world and back to my real home ship. 8)

The docking bay on Luna is about a half a mile round. Under what you call a moon mound. Have a nice day all. :wink:

Norval with a small hope of "one day".
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:46 am

I did not know you lived at Tacoma, wow!!! I live just a skip and a jump away at skippy land. I use my tootoo flying rocket to get me around ever so quickly.

The above is so important in relaxing the mind and allowing the gate keeper to open.

Smile
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Helena
Asternaut

Post by Helena » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:10 pm

Sorry I have two 'stupid' question to ask :P ,

1) is the color in the following pic of the Crab Nebula taken by the HST given by the radiation in the visible region from the Nebula or just the "false-color" given by the HST?

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2005 ... lpaper.jpg

2) if they are the "natural colour", how the nebula (electron, Sulfur and oxygen ions to be more 'exact') would emit or reflect radiations?

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:17 pm

An amateur visible light photo of the crab:

Image[/img]
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:52 pm

I think this point has come up before...but isn't it interesting that "true" color is defined as "that small part of the EM spectrum to which human eyes are sensitive." Perhaps there is something “tactile” about knowing what objects would look like through our own eyes.

Maybe the fact that we only perceive such a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum is a good thing. Could you imagine trying to process the universe in all wavelengths?

:shock:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:54 pm

Great image Empeda. Is it yours? I need to get me a good telescope.

All,
Any arguement on what is the best personal telescope available??

(Now here goes a can of worms)

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:04 am

2) if they are the "natural colour", how the nebula (electron, Sulfur and oxygen ions to be more 'exact') would emit or reflect radiations?
The light wouldn't be reflected, as the radiation knocks each electron off a photon of light is given off, depending on the element and the electrical charge different wavelengths of light are emitted. Same type of light as the aurora borealis or "Northern Lights" to us common folk,(also as a florescent light bulb). Ions and plasma.
The more I learn, the more I know what I don't know.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

The Crab

Post by harry » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:51 am

Hello

I thought this image may interest you.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960531.html
Harry : Smile and live another day.