Casmir Effect as Reason for Dark Energy Effect (17 Dec 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
TimeTravel123456789
Ensign

Casmir Effect as Reason for Dark Energy Effect (17 Dec 2006)

Post by TimeTravel123456789 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm

There was a recent APOD discussing the idea that the Casimir effect relates to the dark energy effect.

An explanation which I mentioned to NASA Public Affairs line is from Einstein's Paper #4 in Annalen Physika. I sent something similar to several resources.

The last line is "Radiation may have an inertia..."

The point is that there is more area for radiation internally to spread therefore having more inertia internally. The Casimir effect says with less area outside, there is more pressure on the outside of a region than inside. Similar, the Casimir effect combined with the last line of Einstein's paper #4 is that there is more inertia for the light to spread because there is more area for the radiation to disperse internally rather than outside the area of dispersion.

What I mentioned to NASA Public Affairs is that there might be a measurable pressure on the outer part of the Space Shuttle and Space Station.

On the other hand, I happen to think the red shift may not be due to doppler effect and may actually be due to gravititational red shift.

(I was able to read Paper #4 in the hallway at a local physics department Nothwestern University. I hope they are not uspet about mentioning that I saw the paper there after an observing session.)

James T. Struck
James T. Struck

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:37 pm

"there is more area for radiation internally to spread"

What do you mean by "area" here?

" I was able to read Paper #4 in the hallway"
So this means you don't have a copy of it? to quote from?

==

For my own point of view, I suspect the Casimir Effect is measuring the level of Entropy in the system, not substantiating the existence of Dark Energy.

makc
Commodore

Re: Casmir Effect as Reason for Dark Energy Effect

Post by makc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:35 pm

TimeTravel123456789 wrote:There was a recent APOD discussing the idea that the Casimir effect relates to the dark energy effect.
Date, anyone?

TimeTravel123456789
Ensign

Replies to Questions

Post by TimeTravel123456789 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 am

The date was december 17th

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061217.html

I recalled that quote from Article #4 from the top of my head. I will sometimes forget things like the "Doctor from Vermont who runs the democratic national committee" and recall "Radiation may have an inertia..." just that last few words because it matters to me.

What do I mean by area?

I mean the same thing as the original Casimir effect test.

Two parallel bars. Inside the two parallel bars there is less area than outside the two parallel bars. Because there is more space for vibrations outside the bars, they pressure the parallel bars more. There is less space inside the parallel bars for the pressure of radiation to expand.

Same with the universe. There is more space inside the area of dispersion, so the radiation inertia disperses the universe.
James T. Struck