Fast Stars Near the Galactic Center (APOD 14 Jan 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
kovil
Science Officer

"Age is mostly a state of mind" , George Burns !

Post by kovil » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Harry, In reading some back posts of makc's sky map posting (here), I didn't realize you suspect our galaxy is over 13.7Gyr ! Same-page-itis here !

So my problem is I can not use the mainstream calculations and methodology to derive my answers, or I will make the same mistakes they did. It is a process of starting at the beginning, (begining has 3 n's in it?! , my underlined red chagrin) fie on the wretched spelling ! full speed ahead !!

I'm in a multilevel quandary over where to pull the first thread that will unravel this mystery and not be making a tight knot in the tangle to begin with.

A retro into being a consummate Teleologist for this max endeavour !

Talley Ho !

ps - as an intrinsic teleologist that is.

BBT is so often an extrinsic teleologistical exercise these days, it is losing credibility big time.

The actual word I wanted was for the philosophical discipline that explores the question of "How is it, that we know, what we think we know, without errors."
but google can't answer that one ! nor m-w.com
I thought it was teleology, has the definition changed since the '60's ?
Maybe our professor specialized the definition.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 am

Hello Kovil

Sometimes our journey is controlled by the tracks made by others.

Imagine there are no tracks, allow no theories to enter your logic.

Work with the parts and bring it together.

Star formation and how stars go through varies cycles of nova and supernova and still look like our sun.

How millions of mini black holes 5 to several hundred sun masses spread out through the Milky Way.

How swarm of very large black holes near the centre

How a black hole several million times that of our sun lives at the centre.

How the galaxy rotates, how long does it take.

How long does it take to form a spiral galaxy.

==========================================

You are right I do not think the Milky Way is 13.7 Gyrs old.
There is no evidence to show this.

Dating of stars does not take into consideration recycling and changes that stars under go that effect the dating process.
==========================================

Regardless what I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you are able to date the Milky Way
or take up the challlenge. It may take several years.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Interesting :shock:

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:18 pm

hey kovil sounds like you were editing your post in word processor,a nd then pasted it here; well, I restored your link, but all "red underlining" has gone.

kovil
Science Officer

A Calcutta of Blackholes, by any other name would be . . .

Post by kovil » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:53 pm

"A Calcutta of Blackholes, by any other name would remain
as inscrutable as dark night without a flame. . . " Radilex of Rigel V

Hi makc ,

The regular apod box has red underlining of misspelled words. It doesn't know apod is a word yet ! It's amazing how many words I misspell. m-w.com is a regular bookmark. No problems. Although I've had more than one long typing session disappear into cyberspace never to be seen again, so I do use W97 for some things and then save it and then transfer it into the dialog box. Or early-post it and then do several edits to add more, and insure not losing it. The thought for the day is ;

It's time to make those little quarks walk the planck , eh matey, arrrgggghhh,
into the cauldron of sub-lepton stew with ye , arrgghh har har har !

jan 28, 2005 apod , a group of black holes orbiting a supermassive blackhole might be termed ;

an abhorance of blackholes,

a nullification of blackholes,

an invisible darkness of blackholes .

or the defining SagA* propinquity fortissimo ;
a quincunx of blackholes !

ps Harry,

< Dating of stars does not take into consideration recycling and changes that stars under go that effect the dating process. >

I have given up trying to date stars, they are so egotistical and think the universe revolves around themselves, that's why I moved back to NV from Los Angeles, CA.

But seriously, LOL, now I forgot what the main idea was. more later.
Last edited by kovil on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 pm

How about a "A Stay of Black Holes" or "A Quagmire of Black Holes"

Most likely "A Cluster of Black Holes" like Globular Clusters.

ta152h0
Schooled

and the stars are still

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:39 pm

and all those stars are still orbiting something as the original post states. Is it possible these stars are gravitationally "rubberbanded" together without a black hole in the orbital center, very much like kids in a merry-go-round " ?
Wolf Kotenberg

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm

It sounds like gravitational "rubber-banding" from just the visible stars masses is insufficient to explain their speed. There's probably only a few dozen or hundred solar masses visible, yet their motion suggests they are being held in their orbits by the gravity of million or so solar masses.

Kovil, it sounds like your web browser spellchecking. If you have the current version of Firefox or Opera I believe both have a built in spellchecker.

Quarks walking the Planck. I like it. :D
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

kovil
Science Officer

Firefox files inaccessible, help !

Post by kovil » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:52 am

iamlucky,

Yes I am using Mozilla Firefox for the browser over Windows 98.
Unluckily tho, it overwrote all my files and any saved emails, it now sends me to the mailbox and won't open the emails ! The original email is there, it shows for a split second and then it goes to the mailbox homepage screen. Is there a way to fix this?? I tried uninstalling firefox, but then I can't open any files at all, all saved web pages are inaccessible as well as emails. So I reinstalled it. But even trying to save emails in the old explorer 5 , it now says, can't save the web page. Is there a way to unwrite the files so they will open if I uninstall firefox? I couldn't find anything on their website that looked like it would address the problem. The files are all titled .htm ; I'm not sure what they were titled before.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 am

Hello All

Naming a group of black holes

The Swarm
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050128.html
What do you call a group of black holes ... a flock, a brace, a swarm? Monitoring a region around the center of our Galaxy, astronomers have indeed found evidence for a surprisingly large number of variable x-ray sources - likely black holes or neutron stars in binary star systems - swarming around the Milky Way's own central supermassive black hole

Bevy of Black Holes Found in Galaxy Cluster
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/b ... 20913.html

===================================

Smile,,,,,,,my friend just said a Gang Bang,,,,,,,,,,,,terrible joke.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:32 pm

kovil,

I'm afraid I haven't got any more advice to offer without seeing what the computer is doing in person. Good luck figuring it out. By the way, any files that are saved with a .htm extension should be openable by both firefox and internet explorer, unless they were originally something else. If neither is working, there may be something bigger up with your computer, so you may want to find a computer support forum.

Bevy is a good one.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)