Orion's Cradle (APOD 25 Jan 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
devany
Ensign

Orion's Cradle (APOD 25 Jan 2007)

Post by devany » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 am

I think its amazing that we can't usually see the huge amount of activity that it going on in Orion, considering it's one of the most recognisable constellations in the northern sky. So, I was particularly impressed by the Orion's Cradle APOD.

However, I had a bit of difficulty explaining to a few people how big the structures actually were (Barnard's Loop for example), so I took the image and overlayed it onto a image generated from Stellarium for the same region and at a more usual inclination.

The results are at:

http://www.devany.com/orion.html

Share & enjoy

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 pm

NICE JOB DEVANY.

It would be interesting to see the entire area viewed through a Hydrogen Alpha lens.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:54 pm

I like that. I was having a hard time placing individual items, because I personally haven't done much observing. I had some idea of how big the area was, but that really helped me get a feel for things.

I agree. It's amazing what is out there that's too faint or the wrong color for our eyes to see.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)