Ripples around the Sun (APOD 6 Feb 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Malde
Asternaut

Ripples around the Sun (APOD 6 Feb 2007)

Post by Malde » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have been using APOD since 1998. On today's picture (Sun Storm: Mass Coronal Ejection, 6th Feb 2007) there are ripples close to the Sun's surface. What are these due to...or are they just imaging artefacts?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:59 pm

I saw them and thought the same thing too. Having never seen such ripples before I'm inclined to think "artifacts" myself.

-Noel
Last edited by NoelC on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Ripples around the Sun

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:04 pm

Malde wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have been using APOD since 1998. On today's picture (Sun Storm: Mass Coronal Ejection, 6th Feb 2007) there are ripples close to the Sun's surface. What are these due to...or are they just imaging artefact's?
Hello Malde and welcome. I think mostly the ripples are caused by the storms on the sun. Like wind makes ripples on the sea.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070206.html
I was wondering what happens to the ejecta as it is blown out into space! Does this cool down into debris and become meteors; or does it just become part of the solar wind? :?
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 pm

If you are refering to the ring style ripples at the solar limb, I would think that they might be layering in the solar photosphere (atmosphere)??? They do resemble the shell style layering of the Cats Eye Nebula seen here http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 2_37523625
as well as other nebula caused near the end of the stellar lifecycle

Malde
Asternaut

Ripples around the Sun

Post by Malde » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:54 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:If you are refering to the ring style ripples at the solar limb, I would think that they might be layering in the solar photosphere (atmosphere)??? They do resemble the shell style layering of the Cats Eye Nebula seen here http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 2_37523625
as well as other nebula caused near the end of the stellar lifecycle
If the ripples are real - what's the physics behind them? Governed by electrical and or magnetic fields?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:53 am

I don't know if the ripples are real or not. They might be created to fill in the area between the two images that were used to create this one composit image.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 am

Hello All

Re Link :

Sun Storm: A Coronal Mass Ejection
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070206.html

THe image formed has to be explained by the functioning of the sun and what drives it.

The answer lies in the inner core. Just like earth and it magnetic field the sun also has the same magnetic field.

The symmetry of the storm gives us the answer.
The question and asnswer is this.

What ever the core is made from it is pulsating creating this symmetry.

For the next few years I will be looking at the workings of the inner core, a key factor in the driving force of the sun and the cycles we observe that influence our weather on earth.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

APOD Feb 6 2007. Confusing information.

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:18 pm

The image used for the APOD and an accompanying caption in the SOHO website are brought up when clicking on the "above image" and "this dramatic image" links in the APOD explanation. The caption is however very confusing, unless I'm missing something! Does anybody know the correct date when the image was taken. The caption currently reads:-

Blasting CME -- This LASCO C2 image, taken 8 January 2002, shows a widely spreading coronal mass ejection (CME) shooting billi Joseph B. Gurman Normal Joseph B. Gurman 2 2003-01-03T14:46:00Z 2003-01-03T14:46:00Z 1 NASA GSGC 1 1 9.2511 800x600 0 0 CME blast -- This dramatic coronal mass ejection was captured 7 August 2002 as it blasted billions of tons of particles millions of miles per hour out into space. The image was taken by the LASCO C2 instrument, which blocks out the Sun with an occulting disk so that we can see the fine details of the faint corona. An EIT 284Å image of the Sun itself, taken at about the same time, was enlarged and superimposed on the occulting disk.

I assume that information from at least two SOHO sources has got mixed up when producing the caption! :)