Very like a WHALE (APOD 2009 May 2)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Very like a WHALE (APOD 2009 May 2)

Post by neufer » Sat May 02, 2009 11:52 am

-----------------------------------------------------
  • _______ Hamlet > Act III, scene II

HAMLET: Do you see yonder cloud that's almost in shape of a CAMEL?

LORD POLONIUS: By the mass, and 'tis like a CAMEL, indeed.

HAMLET: Methinks it is like a weasel.

LORD POLONIUS: It is backed like a weasel.

HAMLET: Or like a WHALE?

LORD POLONIUS: Very like a WHALE.
-----------------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artiodactyla wrote:
<<The even-toed ungulates form the mammal order ARTiodactyla, the group that contains the pigs, peccaries, hippopotamuses, CAMELS, deer, giraffes, pronghorn, antelopes, sheep, goats, and cattle. Cetaceans and even-toed ungulates have been placed in CetARTiodactyla as sister groups, although DNA analysis has shown cetaceans evolved from within ARTiodactyla. The most recent theory into the origins of hippopotamidae suggests that hippos and WHALES shared a common semi-aquatic ancestor that branched off from other ARTiodactyls around 60 million years ago. This hypothesized ancestral group likely split into two branches around 54 million years ago. One branch would evolve into cetaceans, possibly beginning with the proto-WHALE Pakicetus from 52 million years ago with other early WHALE ancestors collectively known as Archaeoceti, which eventually underwent aquatic adaptation into the completely aquatic cetaceans.>>
----------------------------------------------------
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090502.html wrote:
Explanation: <<NGC 4631 is a big beautiful spiral galaxy. Seen edge-on, it lies only 25 million light-years away in the well-trained northern constellation Canes Venatici. The galaxy's slightly distorted wedge shape suggests to some a cosmic herring and to others its popular moniker, The Whale Galaxy. Either way, it is similar in size to our own Milky Way. In this gorgeous color image, the galaxy's yellowish core, dark dust clouds, bright blue star clusters, and red star forming regions are easy to spot. A companion galaxy, the small elliptical NGC 4627, is just above the Whale Galaxy [Captain Ahab? - Neufer]. Out of view, off the lower edge of the picture lies another distorted galaxy, hockey stick-shaped NGC 4656. The distortions and mingling trails of gas and dust detected at other wavelengths suggest that all three galaxies have had close encounters with each other in their past. The Whale Galaxy is also known to have spouted a halo of hot gas glowing in x-rays.>>
<<NGC 4631 as seen edge-on from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (UIT). The Chandra data (shown in blue and purple) provide the first unambiguous evidence for a halo of hot gas surrounding a galaxy that is very similar to our Milky Way. The orange color in the middle of the image represents ultraviolet radiation as observed by UIT, tracing massive stars in the galaxy. Scientists have debated for over 40 years whether the Milky Way has an extended corona, or halo, of hot gas.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_4631 wrote:
<<NGC 4631 contains a central starburst, which is a region of intense star formation. The strong star formation is evident in the emission from ionized hydrogen and interstellar dust heated by the stars formed in the starburst. The most massive stars that form in star formation regions only burn hydrogen gas through fusion for a short period of time, after which they explode as supernovae. So many supernovae have exploded in the center of NGC 4631 that they are blowing gas out of the plane of the galaxy. This superwind can be seen in X-rays and in spectral line emission. The gas from this superwind has produced a giant, diffuse corona of hot, X-ray emitting gas around the whole galaxy.>>
ARTiodactyl Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Re: Very like a WHALE (APOD 2009 May 2)

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 am

Smoke Camels or Whales? Beautiful galaxy in any case. Makes a nice home I'm sure. Probably are whales there.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

x00x
Ensign

Post by x00x » Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Shades of Captain Ahab...

Just ....call me Ishmael.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

x00x wrote:Shades of Captain Ahab...

Hello Ishmael. Do you smoke your camels or ride them?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue May 05, 2009 7:03 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:Hello Ishmael. Do you smoke your camels or ride them?
Ishmael is the narrator of Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Captain Ahab is the captain of the whale ship Pequod.

The first line of the novel ...
  • Call me Ishmael.

x00x
Ensign

Post by x00x » Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:
x00x wrote:Shades of Captain Ahab...

Hello Ishmael. Do you smoke your camels or ride them?
There was always something quite weird about the old 'Camel' tag line back in its heyday. "I'd walk a mile for a camel", you'd do what? for what? huh? , would never make it today if 'Camel' was some conventional commodity of our time.

Reminds me of two old movie titles that stick me in my mind as anachronistic homage to a simpler, more innocent time. One was the Fred Astaire film something or other with 'Gay' in the title and the other "A Girl and a Hundred Men" or was it gal. That is the actual title of the movie. Really has to make you laugh when you think how much society's changed.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Tue May 05, 2009 8:05 pm

x00x wrote:Reminds me of two old movie titles
The Gay Divorcee (1934)
One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937)
I, for one, like Roman numerals.

x00x
Ensign

Post by x00x » Tue May 05, 2009 8:09 pm

bystander wrote:
aristarchusinexile wrote:Hello Ishmael. Do you smoke your camels or ride them?
Ishmael is the narrator of Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Captain Ahab is the captain of the whale ship Pequod.

The first line of the novel ...
  • Call me Ishmael.
Thank you for expanding upon the literary scope of interest here at APOD.

You might want to say we have for a moment all gone from being spacefarers to seafarers, but space/sea metaphors of a same kind, you might say.

x00x
Ensign

Post by x00x » Tue May 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Case wrote:
x00x wrote:Reminds me of two old movie titles
The Gay Divorcee (1934)
One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937)
Thank you for providing us with the the correct titles of those I couldn't exactly recall.

So now kindly add movie aficionados, to the list of scholarly avocations that include star gazers, space travelers, lovers of literature of those of our esteemed members here at the Asterisk.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm

x00x wrote:There was always something quite weird about the old 'Camel' tag line back in its heyday. "I'd walk a mile for a camel", you'd do what? for what? huh? , would never make it today if 'Camel' was some conventional commodity of our time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_(cigarette) wrote:
<<The most famous historical style of Camel cigarettes is the soft pack of the regular, unfiltered variety. Camel regulars achieved the zenith of their popularity through personalities such as news broadcaster Edward R. Murrow, who smoked up to four packs of Camel regulars per day, in effect using a Camel cigarette as his trademark.

Murrow was a heavy smoker throughout his life and was rarely seen without his trademark Camel cigarette. See It Now was the first television program to have a report about the connection between smoking and cancer; Murrow said during the show that "I doubt I could spend a half hour without a cigarette with any comfort or ease". He developed lung cancer and lived for two years after an operation to remove his left lung. Murrow died at his home on April 27, 1965 two days after his 57th birthday.

His colleague and friend Eric Sevareid said of him, "He was a shooting star; and we will live in his afterglow a very long time."

In late 1987, RJR created Joe Camel as the mascot for the brand. In 1991, the AMA published a report stating that 5- and 6-year olds could more easily recognize Joe Camel than Mickey Mouse, Fred Flintstone, Bugs Bunny or even Barbie. This led the association to ask RJR to terminate the Joe Camel campaign. RJR declined, but further appeals followed in 1993 and 1994. Six years later (July 10, 1997) the Joe Camel campaign was retired.>>
Art Neuendorffer

x00x
Ensign

Post by x00x » Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 pm

They never had filters only until the very end. (pun intended).
Well, I suppose you and your significant other might be referred to.... as the neufer twofer? OUCH!

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sun May 10, 2009 8:38 pm

"Whale y'say Ishamel? Looks like one o' them spermy things t'me."

"Cap'n," Ishmael replies, "ye have y'r eye t' th' wrong side o' the glass."

"Aye," says the lookout in the nest, "he's had his lips t' th' right side o' th' glass."

Just then the trumpet sounds, and, "That she blows!" chorus the crew as the uneeverse dissolves.