vlba (los alamos telescope)

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
ifringe
Asternaut

vlba (los alamos telescope)

Post by ifringe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 am

This is part of the VLBA, and is located just outside of Los Alamos, NM, somewhere in the Jemez Mountains.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifringe/4305276648/

I don't post much here... I hope this photo is on topic and of interest. It seems to me that everyone has heard of the VLA, and so I thought seeing a tiny part of the VLBA would be a little different. Not that the telescope is any different, from what I can tell, but, well, there you have it :)

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: vlba (los alamos telescope)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Nice! I had to look up the VLBA to learn more about it. It's funny, even if you showed the whole thing, you'd still only be seeing a very small part. By the way, what does your name mean? For a moment I thought we had another fringe believer joining us but I now presume it has nothing to do with that?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

ifringe
Asternaut

Re: vlba (los alamos telescope)

Post by ifringe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks!

When I saw the radio telescope there I ended up doing a ton of research about it myself... that's a good thing, though (learning) and so I tried to be pretty detailed in the Flickr description. Even though I live near these wondrous telescopes, I didn't know what the VLBA was either until recently :)

My handle is sort of a riff from Alan Parsons as well as identifying myself. I own the "fringe.com" domain, but am not 100% certain where that is going just now. Mostly, it is my personal holding company for the various projects I work on and occasionally spin out. Anyway... "ifringe", then, is an homage to "I, Robot" as well as meaning "I, Fringe" as in "hey, that's me. Fringe". Yeah. You had to ask :)

david