APOD: Galaxy Group Hickson 31 (2010 Feb 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Re: APOD: Galaxy Group Hickson 31 (2010 Feb 22)

Post by emc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm

In the conversation on universe rotation, Art mentions Lorentz transformation which references time dilation. If the universe were to be rotating, would it have any effect on time dilation?
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 pm

emc wrote:In the conversation on universe rotation, Art mentions Lorentz transformation which references time dilation. If the universe were to be rotating, would it have any effect on time dilation?
I don't think that the Lorentz transformation is directly applicable, because it is a transformation between two inertial frames. Since we are talking about non-inertial (rotating) frames, General Relativity is required for a proper analysis, and the transforms will be considerably more complex. Qualitatively, however, I think it is fair to say that some sort of time dilation effect is one possible consequence of a rotating universe.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks again Chris.

I think what you’re saying is that if the universe were to be rotating (UR) at close to the speed of light somewhere (just for this question’s sake) time dilation would be more complicated than just referencing two inertial frames. I’m wondering if rapid UR would skew the inertial measurement?

We can’t know if the universe is rotating because we currently have nothing to reference with UR as Rob and you pointed out.

You, I and likely everyone else here knows I’m way over my head but TRYING to grasp this is like brain yoga for me… I can stretch… but only so far… then something synapse.

It was interesting to learn that cosmologists are pondering UR. It helped me feel smart for a moment. But I’m afraid if I keep writing about it... I will remove that feeling altogether.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.