APOD: Discovery s Dawn (2010 Apr 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

Do you like this APOD?

You may select 1 option

View results

APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Discovery s Dawn (2010 Apr 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 am

Image Discovery s Dawn

Explanation: On April 5, visitors to Kennedy Space Center saw these colorful clouds, twisting and drifting through dawn skies. Of course, the clouds were rocket engine plumes from the predawn launch of the space shuttle Discovery on the STS-131 mission to the International Space Station. Their layered colors are created as they reflect the reddened light from the still rising Sun. Fittingly, denizens of the space center's rocket garden are lit in the foreground. At the far left is a 1960s vintage multistage Atlas-Agena rocket. Together on the right, are Mercury-Redstone and Mercury-Atlas rockets.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD: Discovery s Dawn (2010 Apr 09)

Post by owlice » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 am

The clouds look (nearly) like tragedy and comedy masks.

Cool shot!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm

owlice wrote:The clouds look (nearly) like tragedy and comedy masks.
They do!! I didn't see that on my first look - I just saw all the colors so I went back to look again - good imagining!

But I did notice something else - are those antenas on top of the 2 rockets on the right? If so, what are they used for?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

my favorite is here.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

biddie67 wrote:But I did notice something else - are those antenas on top of the 2 rockets on the right? If so, what are they used for?
Those are separate rockets attached above the manned capsules atop these rockets. They were intended to be used as part of a jettisoning system to separate the capsule from the primary rocket in the event of a launch failure. Fortunately, they never had to be used- most analyses suggest that the system probably would not have been able to save the astronauts.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

This is a closer view of the escape tower and Mercury capsule. You can see the three thrust nozzles on the solid fuel rocket.
escape.jpg
escape.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
I remember when I was a little kid, building plastic models of all these early rockets and capsules. Those little escape towers, made from cheap styrene, were really fragile!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the little red solid fuel rocket was susposed to pull the manned capsule away from the primary rocket ?? I'm surprised that the forces involved in the launch didn't twist, torque, bend and/or snap that framework off ..... or even cause some kind of guidance problems.

Was that part jettisoned after the manned capsule was safely away from the primary rocket? I don't ever remember seeing it in any of the pictures of the recovery after the manned capsule returned to earth.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

biddie67 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the little red solid fuel rocket was susposed to pull the manned capsule away from the primary rocket ?? I'm surprised that the forces involved in the launch didn't twist, torque, bend and/or snap that framework off ..... or even cause some kind of guidance problems.

Was that part jettisoned after the manned capsule was safely away from the primary rocket? I don't ever remember seeing it in any of the pictures of the recovery after the manned capsule returned to earth.
IIRC the escape tower was meant to be used before launch, or very shortly thereafter. It was jettisoned quite quickly after takeoff.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:21 pm

the plumes seem more like T-38 contrails than rocket exhaust as the caption states.