If I was on the moon...

The cosmos at our fingertips.
devany
Ensign

If I was on the moon...

Post by devany » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 pm

If I was on the Moon how big would the Earth be in the sky?

Say, in terms of compared with the size of the Moon seen from the Earth.

My guess would be much bigger, maybe x3 or x4. Anybody know?

Tx

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:36 am

On average, the Moon is roughly one half of a degree on the Earth's sky; this of course varies with the Moon's orbit, sometimes it's a bit closer or further away, and so appears larger or smaller respectively.

From the Moon, the Earth subtends almost four times that, nearly 2 degrees. So yes, it would appear significantly larger. :)

(the average numbers I came up with are 0° 31' 10.7" for the Moon from Earth, and 1° 54' 11.2" for Earth from the Moon)
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

devany
Ensign

Post by devany » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:24 am

Super, thank you.

Astrostitcher
Asternaut

Post by Astrostitcher » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Remember that wonderful picture of the 'earth-rise' taken during the Apollo missions? The earth looked huge but also delicate and so blue. There is nothing like it anywhere else. We all should give our thoughts and efforts to protect this beautiful blue planet we are so luck to live on. (and with all due respect to Hawkings, space travel will not "save" humanity, only we can save ourselves and here on Earth. Eveyrone must make a conscoius effort.)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:53 pm

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:13 am

amazing picture...
to think, ppl are laughing, dying, trading stocks, learning, having sex, warring, starving, dancing, getting drunk, at funerals and weddings, sending an instant message, making a phone call.... all at the same time on that little blue ball, it all seems so meaningless or trivial when you remove yourself from it, it's so relaxing