APOD: Above Aurora Australis (2010 Jul 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Above Aurora Australis (2010 Jul 01)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:20 pm

APOD Robot wrote:Image Above Aurora Australis

Explanation: On May 29, looking southward from a vantage point about 350 kilometers above the southern Indian Ocean, astronauts onboard the International Space Station watched this enormous, green ribbon shimmering below. Known as aurora australis or southern lights, the shifting, luminous bands are commonly seen at high northern latitudes as well, there known as the aurora borealis or northern lights. North or south their cause is the same though, as energetic charged particles from the magnetosphere pile into the atmosphere near the Earth's poles. To produce the characteristic greenish glow, the energetic particles excite oxygen atoms at altitudes of 100 kilometers or more. Aurora on May 29 were likely triggered by the interaction of the magnetosphere with a coronal mass ejection erupting from the Sun on May 24.
bystander wrote:
neufer wrote:If it was wrong in the first place ( :?: )
But is not at all clear that this WAS necessarily wrong in the first place:
orin stepanik wrote:As in over there in the North? :? That possible; but a bit of a confusing way to word it. :roll:
Indigo Sunrise wrote:Confusing, indeed.

Some people post just for the sake of posting, even if it's nonsensical ramblings........
Not confusing at all, nor nonsensical. I thought the same when I saw Indigo's first post. I might have used there they are, but technically there is correct and makes more sense in the sentence structure than they're.
Try reading the paragraph and leave there out completly if that is what is ment to be conveyed and that seems to be a little clearer; but that is my opinion; anyway I make plenty of my own mistakes so who am I to rag on this. :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 am

I'm sticking with "there". There ain't er..wasn't ..nothing..er..anything wrong with it in the first place. Sheesh... :cry:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:26 am

To me, Otto's post sounds perfectly correct. The sentence he used is an example of a contracted sentence, where parts of a clause which would normally be included are omitted, and the reader is supposed to "fill in" the missing words for himself or herself.

It works like this: "Bored with his life, he took up gambling" is a shortened form of "Since he was bored with his life, he took up gambling".

Being a Swede, I have had to pay special attention to such contracted sentences in English, since they don't exist in Swedish.

Otto's post is a somewhat more complicated example of a contracted sentence. Otto wrote:
Known as aurora australis or southern lights, the shifting, luminous bands are commonly seen at high northern latitudes as well, there known as the aurora borealis or northern lights.
Otto's sentence may be "lengthened" like this:

Known as aurora australis or southern lights, the shifting, luminous bands are commonly seen at high northern latitudes as well, and there they are known as the aurora borealis or northern lights.

Another way of lengthening Otto's sentence forces you to replace "there" with "where":

Known as aurora australis or southern lights, the shifting, luminous bands are commonly seen at high northern latitudes as well, where they are known as the aurora borealis or northern lights..

<stepping down from the pulpit>

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 am

Ann wrote:To me, Otto's post sounds perfectly correct. The sentence he used is an example of a contracted sentence, where parts of a clause which would normally be included are omitted, and the reader is supposed to "fill in" the missing words for himself or herself.

It works like this: "Bored with his life, he took up gambling" is a shortened form of "Since he was bored with his life, he took up gambling".

Being a Swede, I have had to pay special attention to such contracted sentences in English, since they don't exist in Swedish.

Otto's post is a somewhat more complicated example of a contracted sentence.
  • Thanks for the English lesson, Ann.... 15-love
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks for the English lesson, Ann.... 15-love
Krsfru gbrå grääähngf brifii! (Game, set and match!)

Gkrraaa brrlrll gakaka Borg. Björn Borg. (My name is Borg. Bjorn Borg.)

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Ann wrote:
Krsfru gbrå grääähngf brifii!
Gkrraaa brrlrll gakaka Borg.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Ann wrote:Krsfru gbrå grääähngf brifii!
Klingon with a Swedish accent?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:Krsfru gbrå grääähngf brifii!
Klingon with a Swedish accent?
Klingons are descended from Sweden, didn't you know that, Chris?

Ann

P.S. No, sorry, I mixed that up. I mean that the Borg is/are descended from Sweden.

Gxtraaahhh kh-kh-kh jeeebrdjstr Borg. (My name is Borg.)
Color Commentator

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:58 pm

I've just used the "southern lights" link and I found that it is currently -72C at the South Pole. Brrrr that's cold!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Jean Luc Sweedish :?:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!