Recent Submissions: 2010 September 25-27

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm

__________________________________________________________________________________

While I'm away from Asterisk, please post your images here for September 25 - 27.

If you need instructions on posting images, please see this thread.

Thank you very much!!

Owlice :owl:

__________________________________________________________________________________

<- Previous submissions
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

astroJB

Post by astroJB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Hello
From 6 to 13 september, I was at Pic du Midi observatory, to use the T60 telescope for a photographic mission with Laurent Lacote (T60 is a telescope managed by an association of amateur astronomers).
During this week I did also wide field pictures with a canon 300D, a Samyang 14mm F:2.8 lens and a tripod. To make timelapses, I took 35s images at iso 1600. I stacked some of these pictures with Starmax, to obtain startrails. On the two startrail pictures you can see the open dome of the T60 which was capturing deep sky objects. You can see also red lights of observaters on the terraces, with a dobson of 500mm in the middle of the first picture.
I put also a picture with a meteor : above T1m dome, you can see a big meteor crossing pleiades, with california nebula at the left.
All these pictures were made on a tripod, without tracking, pose of 35s at iso 1600 and 14mm f:2.8 lens.

clear skies!

JB
http://www.astrosurf.com/astrojb

multiweb
Asternaut

Re: Recent Submissions: 2010 September 25-27

Post by multiweb » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Sagittarius widefield
http://www.astropic.net/
Copyright: Marc Aragnou
Click to view larger image; see link below for full-size image
Click to view larger image; see link below for full-size image
Full size (7Mb+)

Here’s a picture of the Sagittarius area close to the center of our galaxy that I have taken 3 weeks ago from Wiruna under very dark skies - 300km West of Sydney in Australia.

This image consists of 5 panels of approx. 75min each in 5minute subs so about 7.5h total integration time. It was shot with a QHY8 one shot color camera and a Celestron Nextstar 130SLT which is a 5” Newtonian. The subs were staked and processed in CCD Stack v2 then the mosaic scaffold frame built with Registar. Finally the blending was done in Photoshop CS5. The field covers approx 4 degrees by 2.5 degrees of sky.
Last edited by bystander on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

luigi

Post by luigi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 pm

I took this photo in a recent trip to Azul, 300km away from Buenos Aires Argentina. The photo was taken on Saturday September 11th.
I was trying to get a landscape picture at sunset but I was very surprised when I examined the photo at home and found what seem to be solar eruptions around the corona.
I've never imagined such a thing could be captured with normal photography lenses and equipment.

Do you think this shows real solar eruptions or just something else?

Solar Eruptions at Sunset
Copyright: Luis Argerich Canon 5DII, 70-200 lens, GradND filter.
Cheers!

luigi

Post by luigi » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I realize I left the Title of the Image blank: "Solar Eruptions at Sunset" seems appropiate :D

tglicata
Ensign

Post by tglicata » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Andromeda and friends
http://www.tonylicata.org
Copyright: Anthony Licata
This was taken with a DSLR Camera near Atlanta Michigan, perhaps some of the darkest skies in Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Hence I was able to take some deeper exposures. I am amazed by what can be done with relatively inexpensive equipment providing one is far away from any sources of light pollution. The skies were fairly steady that night as well so I managed to catch some detail in the core. :D

yulium

Orion and moon before sunrise on Teide

Post by yulium » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:38 am

Orion and moon before sunrise on Teide
Copyright: Yulia Tolstova

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:54 am

luigi wrote:I took this photo in a recent trip to Azul, 300km away from Buenos Aires Argentina. The photo was taken on Saturday September 11th.
I was trying to get a landscape picture at sunset but I was very surprised when I examined the photo at home and found what seem to be solar eruptions around the corona.
I've never imagined such a thing could be captured with normal photography lenses and equipment.

Do you think this shows real solar eruptions or just something else?

Title of image
Copyright: Luis Argerich Canon 5DII, 70-200 lens, GradND filter.
Cheers!
It sure looks like solar eruptions, but I don't think that is what they are.

If you examine the image closely, you will find that there are long cloud banks intercepting the Sun where the solar flares appear to be. At least such cloud banks are visible in the same plane as most of the "eruptions".

My guess is that sunlight is spreading a little bit into those cloud banks, lighting them up right next to the solar disk and making them look like solar eruptions.

But the picture is great, and I agree with you that those things really look like solar eruptions!

Ann
Color Commentator

GLO
Asternaut

Post by GLO » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:34 am

Paranal Starry Sky
Copyright: Gianluca Lombardi I would like to submit to your attention the attached picture.
It is a view at the end of the twilight of the sky above the VLT at Paranal having simultaneously several interesting elements.

In the foreground the UT4 YEPUN observing in N direction.
On the right you see zodiacal light and the conjunction of Venus, Mars and Saturn.
On the top the, part of the center of the Milky Way and Scorpio constellation
On the left the Southern Cross, plus Alpha and Beta Centauri above the 1.8 m telescope AT2.

Hope you like it.
Cheers.

luigi
Ensign

Post by luigi » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Ann wrote:
It sure looks like solar eruptions, but I don't think that is what they are.

If you examine the image closely, you will find that there are long cloud banks intercepting the Sun where the solar flares appear to be. At least such cloud banks are visible in the same plane as most of the "eruptions".

My guess is that sunlight is spreading a little bit into those cloud banks, lighting them up right next to the solar disk and making them look like solar eruptions.

But the picture is great, and I agree with you that those things really look like solar eruptions!

Ann
Ty Ann! I think you probably got this right. I'm still amazed by the wavy shaped "eruptions" like flames. Even if they are only clouds I think it was a very curious atmospherical phenomenon.

Theo Ramakers

Venus - ISS transit in broad daylight

Post by Theo Ramakers » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:50 pm

No this is not the Moon, we had a two day full harvest moon. It is the crescent Venus as the ISS made a transit accross Venus from the driveway of a friend of mine. Frank Garner and I have been waiting a long time for this opportunity and we are very happy with this. Please note that this is a daytime pass at 4:38 P.M. local time and the sun is still 33 degrees high and 30 degrees from Venus. Venus was shining at a magnitude of -4.2 and the brightness of the ISS was -1.2, a difficult spread to manage in bright daylight.
ISS - Venus Transit in broad daylight
http://ceastronomy.org/tramakers
Copyright: Theo Ramakers

ngc1535
Ensign

Post by ngc1535 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Curves of NGC 7479
http://www.caelumobservatory.com/gallery/n7479.shtml
Copyright: Adam Block/Mount Lemmon SkyCenter/ University of Arizona

piotrek sadowski
Ensign

Post by piotrek sadowski » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:58 pm

NGC 6726 in Corona Australis
http://www.astrofotografia.com.pl
Copyright: Piotrek Sadowski

madupla
Asternaut

Post by madupla » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Center of Soul Nebula
http://www.marius.fotografiaastronomica.com
Copyright: Màrius Duran

Bogdan Jarzyna

NGC6334 (Cat`s Paw Nebula) and NGC6357 in Scorpius

Post by Bogdan Jarzyna » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 pm

NGC6334 (Cat`s Paw Nebula) and NGC6357, Emission Complex in Scorpius
ProLine FLI 16803, FSQ 106 EDXIII, AP Mach1GTO
LRGB 4h (40:64:72:64) sub-frame (L-300s/RGB-480s)
Tivoli, Namibia, Afryka
Full resolution

Bogdan Jarzyna
http://www.starrysite.com