Elegantly yellow, with a touch of blue (and pink)!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Elegantly yellow, with a touch of blue (and pink)!

Post by Ann » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 pm

I'd better catch Art now, before he gets away from me!

I'm about to go to bed, and Art will probably hit 4314 posts before I get up in the morning. He's got 4310 as I'm writing this.

NGC 4314 is a favorite galaxy of mine. It is a very elegant barred spiral galaxy, extremely regular, entirely composed of old yellow stars. No, wait! Not entirely! There is a small wreath of blue and pink encircling the central yellow lens:
Pretty, ain't it? And here is a Hubble closeup of this blue and pink garland of fresh young stars:

This picture was APOD (or something similar) on 12.12.1999!

Congrats on your imminent galactic beauty, Art! Take a moment to savor it!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Elegantly yellow, with a touch of blue (and pink)!

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Ann wrote: I'm about to go to bed, and Art will probably hit 4314 posts before I get up in the morning.

NGC 4314 is a favorite galaxy of mine. It is a very elegant barred spiral galaxy, extremely regular, entirely composed of old yellow stars.

No, wait! Not entirely!

There is a small wreath of blue and pink encircling the central yellow lens.

And here is a Hubble closeup of this blue and pink garland of fresh young stars =>

This picture was APOD (or something similar) on 12.12.1999!

Congrats on your imminent galactic beauty, Art!
Take a moment to savor it!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Elegantly yellow, with a touch of blue (and pink)!

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Goodness, he's getting away from me again!!!

Art is about to hit 4321 posts! Then he is graduating to one of my absolutely favorite galaxies, the truly majestic NGC 4321! M 100!! Art, now that you are becoming the one hundreth entry in Charles Messier's catalogue of extended sky objects, you are indeed becoming Mr 100%!

http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~rhl/Pre ... gc4321.jpg
Sorry that the great galaxy isn't centered in this image of M 100. Personally I think that this splendid galaxy is severely under-photographed, but I do love blue-green-yellow SDSS color portrait here. You have to put up with the off-center portrait here, Art, but on the other hand, you yourself tend to go off on a tangent sometimes (not that we all don't love it when you do... :wink: )

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Image too large; changed to link instead
Color Commentator