Giri

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Giri

Post by neufer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 am

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=46489 wrote: <<Within a day of forming over the north Indian Ocean, Cyclone Giri intensified into a powerful Category 5 cyclone. This image, taken by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite, shows the storm moving ashore over Burma.

The image shows a compact, mature storm with a well-defined eye and a circular shape. At the time, Giri had winds estimated at 125 knots, a Category 4 storm. The storm was stengthening explosively, said the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. Just 6 hours earlier, Giri’s winds had been at 85 knots. Five hours after the image was acquired, winds reached 135 knots (250 km/hr or 155 mph), making Giri the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane.

The last large cyclone to strike Burma, Cyclone Nargis, had winds of 115 knots at its strongest. Nargis hit the low-lying and populated Irrawaddy Delta on May 3, 2008, causing extensive flooding that left more than 100,000 dead. Though stronger than Nargis, Giri was moving toward a less populated and less vulnerable region. The government had issued warnings ahead of the storm, reported CNN.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Giri

Post by bystander » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:13 pm

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Giri

Post by geckzilla » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Ahah.. ok, I admit it. It took me a moment to get that.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.