Unidentified Missile Launch

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Unidentified Missile Launch

Post by bystander » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Unidentified Missile Launch

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks. I'm sending those last two links to my confirmation bias impaired friend who will undoubtedly reject the evidence contained in them but it's the thought that counts.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:19 pm

He responded telling me that the government possibly doctored those photos and to not blindly follow authority... :facepalm:

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:32 am

Was just a jet contrail anyway... :lol:
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 am

Qev wrote:Was just a jet contrail anyway... :lol:
Yes, that was the point of the first post.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The red menace

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 pm

The LA missile is probably connected with
the Grauman's Chinese Theatre lady on the cell phone (...Grauman's mother in 1928?).

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 41#p135441
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman%27s_Chinese_Theatre wrote:
<<Grauman's Chinese Theatre is a movie theater located at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood. It is located along the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame. There are nearly 200 Hollywood celebrity handprints, footprints, and autographs in the concrete of the theater's forecourt.

Variations of this honored tradition are imprints of the eye glasses of Harold Lloyd, the cigars of Groucho Marx and George Burns, the magic wands of Harry Potter stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, the legs of Betty Grable, the fist of John Wayne, the knees of Al Jolson, the ice skating blades of Sonja Henie, and the noses of Jimmy Durante and Bob Hope. Western stars William S. Hart and Roy Rogers left imprints of their guns. The hoofprints of "Tony", the horse of Tom Mix, "Champion", the horse of Gene Autry, and "Trigger", the horse of Rogers, were left in the concrete beside the prints of the stars who rode them in the movies.

The only person not associated with the movie industry to have a signature and handprint in front of the theater is Grauman's mother.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 pm

So Grauman's mother triggered the LA missile launch from her cell phone in 1928?

Where do you get your information? Your sources amaze me. Are you another time traveler?
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:31 pm

bystander wrote:
So Grauman's mother triggered the LA missile launch from her cell phone in 1928?
It's just a hypothesis.
bystander wrote:
Where do you get your information? Your sources amaze me. Are you another time traveler?
Aren't we all?
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Infamous Contrail Spotted in Satellite Image

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:52 am

Infamous Contrail (aka the 'Mystery Missile') Spotted in Satellite Image
Space.com | 16 Nov 2010
When an impressive contrail was spotted off the California coast last week, it sparked widespread reports of a mystery missile launch in the area – a theory the Pentagon squashed after initial investigations. But, the odd contrail fooled more than the public and media, and was even seen from space.

After watching footage of the Nov. 8 contrail, Patrick Minnis, a contrail expert in the Science Directorate at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., assumed it came from a missile, as many others did.

He even said so in response to a phone call from a reporter.

"She responded with links to two different blogs that compared it to older aircraft contrail pictures, and indicated that the blog authors thought it was an aircraft contrail," Minnis said of the reporter. "I had not really thought about that aspect previously and, at first glance, the video showed what looked like a missile launch. Once the idea that it was an aircraft contrail entered my head, I had to pay closer attention, because aircraft contrails are part of my job description."

Later, he learned that fellow NASA scientist Doug Spangenberg had pieced together a photo of the mystery contrail from space after sifting through weather satellite images.
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Messenger aside (George Noory), look at the footage utilized in the interview.

Aircraft contrails, and I've seen an uncountable number, generally start out as 2 separate trails that merge into one behind the rear of the aircraft. After a couple of minutes time they spread out slightly and sometimes still stay resolved as 2 separate trails. Generally, it takes more than an hour for the trail to expand to the point depicted in the news footage, though sometimes it could be about 15 minutes, point being, by the time the contrail has expanded to the size indicated in the news footage, the plane has passed overhead.
If this was the flight from Honolulu to Chicago, altitude would have been maintained and the contrail would have continued toward the east and above Los Angeles but there is no footage of the trail continuance.
Next, look at the Shadow cast by the contrail. The sun is definitely behind and below the level of the trail (after sundown) and is illuminating it. The shadow however, if it were being cast upon a trail from an aircraft traveling to the east, should be leading the trail but it isn't. Instead it is staying behind and below the end of the trail which would indicate that the source is traveling northwest not toward the east.

The trail in the video starts as a single entity and, in part of the footage, is sourced from an orange glow (possible missile engine exhaust fire) The trail also expands rapidly as if it contains much more material that the traditional aircraft exhaust.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Messenger aside (George Noory), look at the footage utilized in the interview.

Aircraft contrails, and I've seen an uncountable number, generally start out as 2 separate trails that merge into one behind the rear of the aircraft. After a couple of minutes time they spread out slightly and sometimes still stay resolved as 2 separate trails. Generally, it takes more than an hour for the trail to expand to the point depicted in the news footage, though sometimes it could be about 15 minutes, point being, by the time the contrail has expanded to the size indicated in the news footage, the plane has passed overhead.
If this was the flight from Honolulu to Chicago, altitude would have been maintained and the contrail would have continued toward the east and above Los Angeles but there is no footage of the trail continuance.
Next, look at the Shadow cast by the contrail. The sun is definitely behind and below the level of the trail (after sundown) and is illuminating it. The shadow however, if it were being cast upon a trail from an aircraft traveling to the east, should be leading the trail but it isn't. Instead it is staying behind and below the end of the trail which would indicate that the source is traveling northwest not toward the east.

The trail in the video starts as a single entity and, in part of the footage, is sourced from an orange glow (possible missile engine exhaust fire) The trail also expands rapidly as if it contains much more material that the traditional aircraft exhaust.
This looks very much like many contrails I've seen. They frequently are lit and shadowed in exactly this way (I can't tell you how many I've had reported as fireballs!) The rate of spread is also pretty commonly seen- that just depends on atmospheric conditions.

When I initially saw this, it was really apparent that it was just a contrail- and not a particularly unusual one, at that. I was a bit embarrassed for some of the "experts" who failed to immediately identify it as such.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:53 am

I think what confused a lot of people on this is the way the video was taken. It's zoomed in really close and we're seeing details we don't normally see with the naked eye when we're usually looking at contrails. It's also very confusing because there's nothing next to the trail to give any indication of scale until the end, at which point the seed is already planted that this is some kind of missile plume rather than a regular old contrail.