APOD: Six Worlds for Kepler 11 (2011 Feb 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Six Worlds for Kepler 11 (2011 Feb 03)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm

dougettinger wrote:So I am asking whether you, in the deep reaches of your mind, differ with any parts of the nebula theory.
I don't know how to interpret that. Here's a general rule you can use to figure out my thoughts about most things scientific:

If the subject is an area of my primary expertise (e.g. meteoritics, orbital dynamics) I'm likely to have an opinion derived from a synthesis of my own work and that of others.

If the subject is an area of my secondary expertise, which generally means I do no original work, but extensively read expert papers, I am likely to have an opinion based on my analysis of other people's work. Your "nebular theory" question falls into this category. I have little doubt that accretion discs are at the heart of planetary system formation. Beyond that, I read different ideas (only mainstream; as this is not my area of expertise, I don't waste my time on fringe ideas) and weigh them as best I can. My opinions are likely to shift around as I read different papers. I do not attempt to develop any ideas of my own.

For scientific areas that I am only casually interested in, I almost always favor the consensus viewpoint. There is value in trusting the experts. The stronger the consensus, the more I accept the theory. When there is little consensus, I prefer to keep an open mind. Again, however, I don't try to formulate my own theories.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Perhaps Doug is inquiring as to your intuition, Chris...

I'm going to pull a bit of a Neufer here, I hope you'll forgive me.

Kirk: Mr. Spock, have you accounted for the variable mass of whales and water in your time re-entry program?
Spock: Mr. Scott cannot give me exact figures, Admiral, so... I will make a guess.
Kirk: A guess? You, Spock? That's extraordinary.
Spock: [to Dr. McCoy] I don't think he understands.
McCoy: No, Spock. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts.
Spock: Then you're saying,
[pause]
Spock: It is a compliment?
McCoy: It is.
Spock: Ah. Then, I will try to make the best guess I can.
:)

-Noel
Last edited by NoelC on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
dougettinger wrote:So I am asking whether you, in the deep reaches of your mind, differ with any parts of the nebula theory.
I don't know how to interpret that. Here's a general rule you can use to figure out my thoughts about most things scientific:

If the subject is an area of my primary expertise (e.g. meteoritics, orbital dynamics) I'm likely to have an opinion derived from a synthesis of my own work and that of others.

If the subject is an area of my secondary expertise, which generally means I do no original work, but extensively read expert papers, I am likely to have an opinion based on my analysis of other people's work. Your "nebular theory" question falls into this category. I have little doubt that accretion discs are at the heart of planetary system formation. Beyond that, I read different ideas (only mainstream; as this is not my area of expertise, I don't waste my time on fringe ideas) and weigh them as best I can. My opinions are likely to shift around as I read different papers. I do not attempt to develop any ideas of my own.

For scientific areas that I am only casually interested in, I almost always favor the consensus viewpoint. There is value in trusting the experts. The stronger the consensus, the more I accept the theory. When there is little consensus, I prefer to keep an open mind. Again, however, I don't try to formulate my own theories.
Chris, you are an excellent compass to follow for an explorer like myself. I can quickly get back on course by consulting you.
Thanks.
Doug Ettinger
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA