UT: Astronomy Without A Telescope – Cosmic Coincidence

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

UT: Astronomy Without A Telescope – Cosmic Coincidence

Post by bystander » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:37 am

Astronomy Without A Telescope – Cosmic Coincidence
Universe Today | Steve Nerlich | 2011 Sept 03
Cosmologists tend not to get all that excited about the universe being 74% dark energy and 26% conventional energy and matter (albeit most of the matter is dark and mysterious as well). Instead they get excited about the fact that the density of dark energy is of the same order of magnitude as that more conventional remainder.

After all, it is quite conceivable that the density of dark energy might be ten, one hundred or even one thousand times more (or less) than the remainder. But nope, it seems it’s about three times as much – which is less than ten and more than one, meaning that the two parts are of the same order of magnitude. And given the various uncertainties and error bars involved, you might even say the density of dark energy and of the more conventional remainder are roughly equivalent. This is what is known as the cosmic coincidence.

To a cosmologist, particularly a philosophically-inclined cosmologist, this coincidence is intriguing and raises all sorts of ideas about why it is so. However, Lineweaver and Egan suggest this is actually the natural experience of any intelligent beings/observers across the universe, since their evolution will always roughly align with the point in time at which the cosmic coincidence is achieved.

A current view of the universe describes its development through the following steps:
  • [img3="The four eras of the universe mapped over a logarithmic time scale. Note that "Now" occurs as the decline in matter density and the acceleration in cosmic expansion cross over. (Credit: Lineweaver and Egan)"]http://www.universetoday.com/wp-content ... /GRAPH.jpg[/img3]
  • Inflationary era – a huge whoomp of volume growth driven by something or other. This is a very quick era lasting from 10-35 to 10-32 of the first second after the Big Bang.
  • Radiation dominated era – the universe continues expanding, but at a less furious rate. Its contents cools as their density declines. Hadrons begin to cool out from hot quark-gluon soup while dark matter forms out of whatever it forms out of – all steadily adding matter to the universe, although radiation still dominates. This era lasts for maybe 50,000 years.
  • Matter dominated era – this era begins when the density of matter exceeds the density of radiation and continues through to the release of the cosmic microwave background radiation at 380,000 years, when the first atoms formed – and then continues on for a further 5 billion years. Throughout this era, the energy/matter density of the whole universe continues to gravitationally restrain the rate of expansion of the universe, even though expansion does continue.
  • Cosmological constant dominated era – from 5 billion years to now (13.7 billion) and presumably for all of hereafter, the energy/matter density of the universe is so diluted that it begins losing its capacity to restrain the expansion of universe – which hence accelerates. Empty voids of space grow ever larger between local clusters of gravitationally-concentrated matter.
And here we are. Lineweaver and Egan propose that it is unlikely that any intelligent life could have evolved in the universe much earlier than now (give or take a couple of billion years) since you need to progressively cycle through the star formation and destruction of Population III, II and then I stars to fill the universe with sufficient ‘metals’ to allow planets with evolutionary ecosystems to develop.

So any intelligent observer in this universe is likely to find the same data which underlie the phenomenon we call the cosmological coincidence. Whether any aliens describe their finding as a ‘coincidence’ may depend upon what mathematical model they have developed to formulate the cosmos. It’s unlikely to be the same one we are currently running with – full of baffling ‘dark’ components, notably a mysterious energy that behaves nothing like energy.

It might be enough for them to note that their observations have been taken at a time when the universe’s contents no longer have sufficient density to restrain the universe’s inherent tendency to expand – and so it expands at a steadily increasing rate.

The Cosmic Coincidence as a Temporal Selection Effect Produced by the Age Distribution of Terrestrial Planets in the Universe - CH Lineweaver, CA Egan
<< Previous
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Is the Emergence of Life and Dark Energy Related?

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Is the Emergence of Life and Dark Energy Related?
Discovery News | Ray Villard | 2011 Sept 07

I sometimes wonder what the first thing an extraterrestrial civilization would want to tell us in their interstellar transmission.

I doubt the greeting would be "live long as prosper"; the mantra of Star Trek's Mr. Spock.

What do aliens think we'd be interested in hearing about? It may be something as abstruse as: "show me your equation of state and I'll show you mine."

What?

The equation of state is the measure of the stability of dark energy. Discovered in 1996 and predicted decades earlier by Albert Einstein, this repulsive form of gravity appears to spread uniformly throughout space. If dark energy is unstable, it could eventually tear apart the universe or cause it to implode.

Dark energy packs a repulsive "push" into every cubic yard of space. Gravity and radiation dilute as the universe expands. But current measurement suggest that dark energy remains a constant force.

Why would extraterrestrials think we'd be interested in their value for dark energy?

For one simply reason: Inquiring minds across the galaxy must be asking: "why me, why now?"

This quote isn't from Mr. Spock, but from champion figure skater Nancy Kerrigan who uttered the phrase in 1994 after being attacked and injured by an opponent.

Like us, alien scientists are realizing that we just happen to be living at a singularly unique nexus in the universe's history.

When Earth first formed, a 7 billion year-old arm wrestle between gravity and dark energy ended. Dark energy overcame gravity because gravity becomes increasingly rarefied the bigger the universe gets. Dark energy has been propelling the universe apart ever faster since then.

Now, the spooky part is that this game-changer coincidentally happened at the same time intelligent life should have blossomed across our Milky Way galaxy, says a pair of Australian theoreticians, Charles Lineweaver and Chas Egan.

Five billion years ago the galaxy was polluted with enough heaver elements -- such as carbon, oxygen and silicon -- from the first-generation stars, to start building terrestrial planets. In fact, most of the planets the universe will ever contain had already been made. That's because the universe went though a baby boom of star making -- you guessed it -- 5 billion years ago, when the sun and solar system formed.

SLIDE SHOW: Top 10 Space Stories of the Decade

Around that same time a biological phase transition happened too. Inanimate matter transitioned to becoming self-replicating matter that undergoes Darwinian evolution. If life is a condition of the universe, this phenomenon must have swept across the galaxy in the past few billion years. Over that same period a subset of planets should have nurtured the evolution of complex life.

Today, alien astronomers across the galaxy have come of age in parallel with us, say the researchers. Those extraterrestrials a similar inquisitiveness as ours, and who are technologically empowered, are also discovering that the universe is accelerating.

E.T.'s own brand of physics is coming to grips with the reality of this overwhelming force, which accounts for 73 percent of the matter-energy budget of the universe. Like us they too must be pondering what it means for the universe’s ultimate fate.

There’s plenty of wiggle room in this timetable for the evolution of civilizations that are a few million years ahead of us. They may have already solved the dark energy mystery. But like school kids, they may want to check their homework against some else's.

My guess is that the really smart extraterrestrials who have figured this out are scattered far away in space and time, so I doubt any alien transmission is going to give us the ultimate solution to dark energy any time soon. But it is a truly universal question that unites sentient beings whose minds evolved under different alien suns.

What is unsettling to me is that this whole idea is anti-Copernican. Coperincanism states that there is nothing unique about the observer’s location in space or time. But on the face of it we live in a very special time.

The only way out of this conundrum is to assume that all times are special in the evolving universe. Whatever self-aware entities might exist a trillion years from now will have their own unique cosmological mysteries.

Nevertheless, is the emergence of intelligence and the onset of an accelerating universe purely coincidental? Or, are their deeper truths we have yet to realize?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: UT: Astronomy Without A Telescope – Cosmic Coincidence

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Very fascinating. Thanks for posting this, bystander.

Personally I haven't much liked "the Copernican view" for many years now. I haven't liked it since I realized that the eminently habitable Mars and Venus of my science fiction youth existed only in science fiction. Earth isn't just a planet like any other, I'm convinced of that. But it is a fascinating thought that there might be other civilizations on other Earths in other parts of the universe which are all pretty much our contemporaries, asking the same questions about the universe that we do.

Ann
Color Commentator

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: UT: Astronomy Without A Telescope – Cosmic Coincidence

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Sam Conrad: How do you know my language?
Teenya: We don't, Mr. Conrad. As you will no doubt soon realize, you are speaking our language.
Sam Conrad: Your language?
First Martian: Unconscious transference. You'd call it hypnosis of a sort.

Teenya: No one will hurt you, you must believe that. No one will hurt you.

(The front of the house slides open to reveal bars of a cage; the entire community of people, men, women, and children of all ages are outside watching Conrad as if he were part of a zoo. There is a sign in front of him that reads 'Earth Creature in his native habitat', which Conrad picks up, reads, then promptly throws down)
Sam Conrad: (yelling up towards the sky) Marcusson! Marcusson, you were right! You were right. People are alike. People are alike everywhere.

Courtesy ofhttp://www.tvrage.com/The_Twilight_Zone/episodes/212759