13 Billion Year Old Planet of the Milky Way

The cosmos at our fingertips.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: 13 Billion Year Old Planet of the Milky Way

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Chris Pincushion wrote:
But any point really is at the center of its observable universe-
either a circle in balloonland, or a sphere in our universe.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Chris wrote:
The universe you are talking about doesn't match either our theory or observation of the actual universe we live in.
All theories about anything are products of human imagination. There are many theories on the shape of the universe and until proven otherwise, the bubble universe I describe is just as good as any. The umbrella or jellyfish image of the imaginary universe we see in most publications fits in the bubble universe with the closed end and the open empty end represented by the big band and the arc of the bubble respectively. An isotropic universe has a better chance inside a bubble in the same way a consistent temperature is attained within a closed domed stadium. Everything in nature has an a limiting containment binding the member "units" one way or another. If not for the thin atmosphere, Earth will be void of life forms as we know it. The hypothesized Oort cloud is believed to be the outer cosmological limit of our own Solar System.

Which specific observations, large or small, are you referring to?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

ErnieM wrote:All theories about anything are products of human imagination. There are many theories on the shape of the universe and until proven otherwise, the bubble universe I describe is just as good as any.
Sorry to be so blunt, but that's complete nonsense. Theories are models of reality, and they are only as good as their ability to describe and predict observations. No theory is ever proven, but theories carry substantially different amounts of supportive evidence with them. It is simply false to assert that any theory is as good as any other. The more supportive evidence, the better the theory.

I presented a simple model of the Universe reduced by one dimension- an analogy to make visualization easier. That model is a fair representation of a cosmological theory that is widely accepted and well supported- in other words, a good theory. What you presented isn't even a theory in the scientific sense of the word. I make no assertion that the standard model of the Universe is correct. But unless you can back up your idea with supportive evidence, it stands a LOT better chance of being closer to the truth than what you propose.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

ErnieM wrote:Which specific observations, large or small, are you referring to?
Wikipedia: Big Bang Theory: Observational Evidence

I would like to remind the readers that this board concentrates on the mainstream or consensus view of cosmology. Alternative theories, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience are not discussed here. Please familiarize yourself with the rules to which you agreed by becoming a member of this board.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:These sort of "centers" [the spatial universe kind] are completely different from the centers of observable universes.
Thanks Chris. I did actually understand the overall point. What puzzled me was the distinction you made between those two different centers, a distinction which made it sound like one kind of center couldn't possibly be in the same place as the other. In this case I think the balloon analogy confused me, because in our 3D world there can be a point on the ballon's surface which is at one and the same time the center of the (surface) universe as well as the center of the observable universe (confusingly forgetting that the center of the balloon universe is in the center of the balloon, and therefore unreachable from the surface universe.) But in our real 3D+time universe, the center of the universe is lost in time and can never be the center of any observable universe. Have I got it clear now?

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:These sort of "centers" [the spatial universe kind] are completely different from the centers of observable universes.
Thanks Chris. I did actually understand the overall point. What puzzled me was the distinction you made between those two different centers, a distinction which made it sound like one kind of center couldn't possibly be in the same place as the other. In this case I think the balloon analogy confused me, because in our 3D world there can be a point on the ballon's surface which is at one and the same time the center of the (surface) universe as well as the center of the observable universe (confusingly forgetting that the center of the balloon universe is in the center of the balloon, and therefore unreachable from the surface universe.) But in our real 3D+time universe, the center of the universe is lost in time and can never be the center of any observable universe. Have I got it clear now?
I'm not sure. We can see the center of the balloon universe because we are three dimensional beings, and the balloon universe is a three dimensional structure. So it is entirely accessible to us (of course, we are replacing time with a spatial dimension). As 3D beings, we only see a cross-section of our 4D universe. Presumably, a being that existed in four dimensions would have no problem seeing the true center of our universe.

These concepts are explored nicely in the books Flatland and Planiverse.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:36 pm

I have fond memories of Flatland, but have never heard of Planiverse. I'll remedy that shortly.

Rob

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Which brings me to ask a question... If ( Z=Speeding photon, Y=Black Hole, D= Time Discrepancy) Could the two ends of the Space/Time Discrepancy "Rope" Explain Space/time Expansion ? Z <------ T -------> Y

I don't understand the question. I don't think it is framed in a way that can be answered.
Ok I'll put another Way :ssmile: A Clock On a satellite And A clock on the Ground Have Different Times "Yeah". One Runs Faster Than the Other. So The Clock "in" Or "Orbiting" a black Hole Would Be an Extreme Difference In Time, Than The Clock Which is In the speeding photon. They say That Time is a Physical Thing Which is entwined with Space "Space/Time". If Both object are moving away from each other "In Time" Then isn't Space/Time getting Larger because of this ?

tc
Always trying to find the answers

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 am

The Code wrote:Ok I'll put another Way :ssmile: A Clock On a satellite And A clock on the Ground Have Different Times "Yeah". One Runs Faster Than the Other. So The Clock "in" Or "Orbiting" a black Hole Would Be an Extreme Difference In Time, Than The Clock Which is In the speeding photon.
I find your wording confusing. I don't know what it means to say that two things have "different times". SR describes how an observer in one inertial frame may observe a clock in a different inertial frame operating at a different rate. GR describes something similar for non-inertial frames. That's all. There's nothing that says that time is somehow different for different bodies. All that's different is the observation- precisely because time and space are connected.
They say That Time is a Physical Thing Which is entwined with Space "Space/Time". If Both object are moving away from each other "In Time" Then isn't Space/Time getting Larger because of this ?
Objects don't move apart from each other in time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
The Code wrote:Ok I'll put another Way :ssmile: A Clock On a satellite And A clock on the Ground Have Different Times "Yeah". One Runs Faster Than the Other. So The Clock "in" Or "Orbiting" a black Hole Would Be an Extreme Difference In Time, Than The Clock Which is In the speeding photon.
I find your wording confusing. I don't know what it means to say that two things have "different times". SR describes how an observer in one inertial frame may observe a clock in a different inertial frame operating at a different rate. GR describes something similar for non-inertial frames. That's all. There's nothing that says that time is somehow different for different bodies. All that's different is the observation- precisely because time and space are connected.
They say That Time is a Physical Thing Which is entwined with Space "Space/Time". If Both object are moving away from each other "In Time" Then isn't Space/Time getting Larger because of this ?
Objects don't move apart from each other in time.
Here is an Example of things moving away from each other in time.Twin Paradox. It doesn't matter that its a black hole or photon. Or whatever form it should take. It should subscribe to the laws of physics. Every particle in the Universe is a child of the the Big bang. If All of time was created in one instant, then all of time should be able to be measured with a ruler From start to finish. If the whole of time can be measured with a ruler, And different clocks tick faster or slower, for different reasons (Proven) then there should be some evidence of this. And I want to know if this is the cause of expansion ? Because Time And Space are seen as one.

tc

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Bystander wrote:
I would like to remind the readers that this board concentrates on the mainstream or consensus view of cosmology. Alternative theories, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience are not discussed here.
Chris wrote:
But unless you can back up your idea with supportive evidence, it stands a LOT better chance of being closer to the truth than what you propose.
The bubble universe discussion is nothing new and you are so kind for giving me credit for the proposal. From the article "Is our universe inside a bubble", Science Daily, Aug 2011:

"Many modern theories of fundamental physics predict that our universe is contained inside a bubble. In addition to our bubble, this `multiverse' will contain others, each of which can be thought of as containing a universe. In the other 'pocket universes' the fundamental constants, and even the basic laws of nature, might be different."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 102844.htm

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:55 pm

The Code wrote:Here is an Example of things moving away from each other in time.Twin Paradox.
I don't see that as things moving away from each other it time.
If All of time was created in one instant, then all of time should be able to be measured with a ruler From start to finish.
All of time wasn't created in one instant, any more than all of space was. The Big Bang marked the beginning of time and space, but spacetime is evolving.
If the whole of time can be measured with a ruler, And different clocks tick faster or slower, for different reasons (Proven) then there should be some evidence of this. And I want to know if this is the cause of expansion ? Because Time And Space are seen as one.
I don't know what it means to say that all of time can be measured with a ruler. Clocks don't tick slower or faster- they are just seen as ticking at different rates when observed from different frames.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:01 pm

ErnieM wrote:The bubble universe discussion is nothing new and you are so kind for giving me credit for the proposal. From the article "Is our universe inside a bubble", Science Daily, Aug 2011:

"Many modern theories of fundamental physics predict that our universe is contained inside a bubble. In addition to our bubble, this `multiverse' will contain others, each of which can be thought of as containing a universe. In the other 'pocket universes' the fundamental constants, and even the basic laws of nature, might be different."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 102844.htm
The bubble universe idea discussed in this article, however, bears no relation to what you previously described using that term. In this model, nothing changes with our current cosmology- we are still in a 4D spacetime universe that started with the Big Bang. Dark matter and dark energy are still as postulated by mainstream science.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18 am

Chris wrote:
The bubble universe idea discussed in this article, however, bears no relation to what you previously described using that term. In this model, nothing changes with our current cosmology- we are still in a 4D spacetime universe that started with the Big Bang. Dark matter and dark energy are still as postulated by mainstream science.
Thank you for the clarification. Yes, the big bubble I described is the immediate result of the big bang and it contains the bubbles discussed in this article. The Big Bang or in your terminology, t=0, is at the center of this big bubble. We are inside the space and the big bubble is growing, ie. the space is expanding and maybe so are the spaces inside the smaller bubbles.

If this is the first time this idea came, no matter how crazy it is, I am proud to own it. Thank you.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
The Code wrote:Here is an Example of things moving away from each other in time.Twin Paradox.
I don't see that as things moving away from each other it time.
If All of time was created in one instant, then all of time should be able to be measured with a ruler From start to finish.
All of time wasn't created in one instant, any more than all of space was. The Big Bang marked the beginning of time and space, but spacetime is evolving.
If the whole of time can be measured with a ruler, And different clocks tick faster or slower, for different reasons (Proven) then there should be some evidence of this. And I want to know if this is the cause of expansion ? Because Time And Space are seen as one.
I don't know what it means to say that all of time can be measured with a ruler. Clocks don't tick slower or faster- they are just seen as ticking at different rates when observed from different frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZfx7iwq94

If I can Go Back In Time, I Can Go To any part Of The 13.7 Billion Year BOOK ! It should still exist like a recording....
And if I can do this, The above must also be true.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 pm

The Code wrote:If I can Go Back In Time, I Can Go To any part Of The 13.7 Billion Year BOOK !
However, there's nothing in physical theory to suggest it is possible to go back in time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

It doesn't matter, There are things that are doing these things. And we are seeing the evidence... :)

tc

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm

The Code wrote:It doesn't matter, There are things that are doing these things. And we are seeing the evidence... :)
I'm not sure who this "we" is you're referring to. I'm certainly not seeing any such evidence.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Its called accelerated expansion of space/time...

tc

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 pm

The Code wrote:Its called accelerated expansion of space/time...
I don't see what that has to do with traveling backwards in time. The accelerated expansion of spacetime is currently best explained by dark energy (the transition from a gravity dominated universe to a dark energy dominated universe).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

You have no Idea what dark Energy Is Chris. But I am giving you a possibility using the great Man's Book.

tc

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 pm

The Code wrote:You have no Idea what dark Energy Is Chris.
I don't need to know what it is. I know that you can postulate something that behaves the way it does, and it matches our observations. I know that most people who are experts in the area agree that dark energy or something like it is operating. Why would I second guess them?

If a better explanation comes along, I'll take it. But for now, no better explanation exists.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Your A very honest person Chris, I see that in your words. And I appreciate that.... Cheers Bud... Keep Your eyes on the news, Sooner or later, this ones going to come out. And you heard it from me first.... 8-)

Swainy

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 pm

I am a cosmic skeptic for my own reasons. and until the sums add up, I always will be.

tc
Last edited by The Code on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:23 am

Mark, no one has to accept your views.

I suggest you reread the rules. Whether you do or not, kindly abide by them.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.