Account deletion

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
george7378

Account deletion

Post by george7378 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Hi - please could I request for this account to be deleted? I don't use it any more and I want to clean up old accounts to manage my web presence.

Thanks for the help!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Account deletion

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Sure, but the old posts you made will remain with a "guest" account posting with the former username so that the continuity of old discussions doesn't get disrupted. Is that ok?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

george7378

Post by george7378 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am

Hey geckzilla - that's fine with me. Thanks for the reply!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm

geckzilla wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 pm Sure, but the old posts you made will remain with a "guest" account posting with the former username so that the continuity of old discussions doesn't get disrupted. Is that ok?
Just as a matter of general policy, I don't think deleting accounts is a good idea. Changing the names of posters to "guest" is, itself, disruptive to the flow of past discussions.

Anybody can abandon an account, stop posting, stop worrying about their username and password. That doesn't require any action here. I'd say unless someone has a really good reason why their posting history should essentially be erased, leave well enough alone.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm
geckzilla wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 pm Sure, but the old posts you made will remain with a "guest" account posting with the former username so that the continuity of old discussions doesn't get disrupted. Is that ok?
Just as a matter of general policy, I don't think deleting accounts is a good idea. Changing the names of posters to "guest" is, itself, disruptive to the flow of past discussions.

Anybody can abandon an account, stop posting, stop worrying about their username and password. That doesn't require any action here. I'd say unless someone has a really good reason why their posting history should essentially be erased, leave well enough alone.
It doesn't change it to "guest", it changes it to a guest account with the original username.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm

geckzilla wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm

It doesn't change it to "guest", it changes it to a guest account with the original username.
Ah, well that's not so bad then (although I suppose it might erase other interesting account information, like location?)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm
Just as a matter of general policy, I don't think deleting accounts is a good idea. Changing the names of posters to "guest" is, itself, disruptive to the flow of past discussions. Anybody can abandon an account, stop posting, stop worrying about their username and password. That doesn't require any action here. I'd say unless someone has a really good reason why their posting history should essentially be erased, leave well enough alone.
Ah, well that's not so bad then (although I suppose it might erase other interesting account information, like location?)
Not exactly sure that anything has been erased:

http://asterisk.apod.com/memberlist.php ... e&u=131890

(Will Congress be interviewing Geck after they finish with Zuck?)
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm (Will Congress be interviewing Geck after they finish with Zuck?)
Why not? I'm sure that the entire Russian space program is based on information they surreptitiously scrape from the Asterisk.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 pm

True that; guest accounts don't have location data. I've deleted maybe one or two accounts in the past with similar requests. Those individuals PM'ed me about it, though. It doesn't really disrupt anything, and is what the user wants.

neufer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pmNot exactly sure that anything has been erased:

http://asterisk.apod.com/memberlist.php ... e&u=131890

I haven't deleted the account, yet. I was hoping for a response first. Probably will just go ahead and do it.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:52 pm

geckzilla wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm
I haven't deleted the account, yet. I was hoping for a response first. Probably will just go ahead and do it.

There was a response.
george7378 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm
neufer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm
Why not? I'm sure that the entire Russian space program is based on information they surreptitiously scrape from the Asterisk.
You're probably thinking of the Mike Hughes space program.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm
neufer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm
You're probably thinking of the Mike Hughes space program.
Nah. He would have done much better if he'd solicited more information here.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 am

bystander wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:52 pm
geckzilla wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm

There was a response.
george7378 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am
Oh, sorry I missed it.