Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 pm There seems to be a linkage issue splattered throughout Starship Asterisk.

Many times a link goes to "bb.nightskylive.net", and does not really connect there to the resource that was referenced on the link.

(A pertinent example would be the link to the "Resolved Problems" topic/thread in the opening post in this "Bugs" topic/thread.)

My guess is that this BB moved to a new host at some point, perhaps many years ago? And that there was no automated way to update those links, so only some of them have been fixed, manually. Does it do any good to point these links out? I think Dr. Nemiroff has fixed some of them, when they are pointed out to him, but I don't know how much trouble they are and whether or not they should be pointed out wherever they are found, or just left to be.

"asterisk.apod.com" is now "asterisk.apod.com"

Per your example above: "asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14977"
would become "asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14977"

edit: I try to repair these when I find them. I have fixed the links in the first two posts of this thread.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 pm

bystander wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm edit: I try to repair these when I find them. I have fixed the links in the first two posts of this thread.
That's probably a long, ongoing task, so I don't envy you. Thanks!
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 pm
bystander wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm edit: I try to repair these when I find them. I have fixed the links in the first two posts of this thread.
The way to do it is a single query and replace operation on the entire MySQL (or whatever database backs this up) database. Whether it's worth the trouble or not, I don't know.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Placing two or more images inline in a post

Post by MarkBour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 pm

When I use the "Full Editor & Preview" feature on this board, it gives the option of uploading image files and placing them inline in the post. This seems to be a popular tactic in posts, which in some cases adds significantly to their value. In my case, I mostly just add images for humor, I confess.
But I've become so spoiled in doing this that sometimes I want to place *two* images inline in a single post.

When I do this, here's my description of the behavior. The image files get listed in reverse upload order in the "attachments" section of the tool. When I ask to place one inline, all goes well. When I then ask to place the second one inline, quite often the first one disappears, with a message, such as "The file Capture1.jpg is no longer available on the server." I have tried fighting with it, making sure my post is exactly ready to go except for the pictures, and sometimes this has managed to get both pictures in place. Other times, no matter how hard I try, and even sometimes it looks like it will plot both pictures, then when I click "Submit", one of them gets lost and replaced by the message.

I don't think this is a universal problem. I have seen others with posts that have multiple images, and I think they are putting them inline, as I have tried to do. I happen to be using the Google Chrome browser, Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit), if that helps. But it does not seem to be a browser issue, it seems a server-side issue.

Thanks for your consideration.
Mark Goldfain

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm
The way to do it is a single query and replace operation on the entire MySQL (or whatever database backs this up) database. Whether it's worth the trouble or not, I don't know.
That does sound like the ticket ! (It might be worth the trouble just so they never have to field another such complaint.)
Mark Goldfain

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:35 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm

geckzilla would have to do that. I don't have that kind of access.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

It's done. The thread looks funny now, but you know the find & replace worked.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 am

geckzilla wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am It's done. The thread looks funny now, but you know the find & replace worked.
:clap:
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Placing two or more images inline in a post

Post by rstevenson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 pm When I use the "Full Editor & Preview" feature on this board, it gives the option of uploading image files and placing them inline in the post. This seems to be a popular tactic in posts, which in some cases adds significantly to their value. In my case, I mostly just add images for humor, I confess.
But I've become so spoiled in doing this that sometimes I want to place *two* images inline in a single post.

When I do this, here's my description of the behavior. The image files get listed in reverse upload order in the "attachments" section of the tool. When I ask to place one inline, all goes well. When I then ask to place the second one inline, quite often the first one disappears, with a message, such as "The file Capture1.jpg is no longer available on the server." I have tried fighting with it, making sure my post is exactly ready to go except for the pictures, and sometimes this has managed to get both pictures in place. Other times, no matter how hard I try, and even sometimes it looks like it will plot both pictures, then when I click "Submit", one of them gets lost and replaced by the message.

I don't think this is a universal problem. I have seen others with posts that have multiple images, and I think they are putting them inline, as I have tried to do. I happen to be using the Google Chrome browser, Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit), if that helps. But it does not seem to be a browser issue, it seems a server-side issue.

Thanks for your consideration.
I also have this problem, exactly as Mark describes it. I'm using the latest Safari in the latest Mac OS.

(I thought I'd better add my bit, just so you know it happens to at least one other.)

Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Recently -- the last couple of months, roughly -- the "remember me" setting in the login screen is not working. Every few days I find I'm not logged in when I go to read a post.

Details: I always leave Asterisk on a tab in my browser (Safari, MacOS, each the latest version), set to the Active topics page (under Quick Links). I can Refresh that page to see what's active lately and I always appear to be logged in -- and most days I am. But every few days, if I then click to go to one of the active threads, I arrive at the thread showing the default blue appearance, not logged in. I'm not sure of the interval at which this occurs, but it's more often than once a week, and less often than daily.

edit: It happened again this morning, less than 24 hours after I posted this originally, so maybe it is daily.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 am

I'm really not sure how to fix the two images problem, but to stay logging in, I would like you to try clearing all your cookies by going to this link:
http://asterisk.apod.com/ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies

Usually this problem happens when there's been a major forum version update, and you've got an old cookie from a previous version. Deleting the cookies and then re-logging in with the "remember me" box checked should fix it.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks. I've just deleted the APOD cookies and will report back after a few days once I can confirm it's working.

Can you suggest any tests I could try to help in diagnosing the two-image problem?

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Copy and paste the error message and search google for it between quotes, but only the part after the filename. I tried earlier with what Mark Bour had written, but I think it may have been paraphrased. That is how I solve at least 90% of all issues I have with computers. Alternatively, screenshot it, post it here, and I'll search.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:47 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:40 pm Copy and paste the error message and search google for it between quotes, but only the part after the filename. I tried earlier with what Mark Bour had written, but I think it may have been paraphrased. That is how I solve at least 90% of all issues I have with computers.
Me too. There are so many people using computers, that the likelihood of being the first person to encounter any particular problem is vanishingly small. Even an obscure bug with an obscure piece of software is likely to have been discussed in some forum before we encounter it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 am

rstevenson wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:42 pm Thanks. I've just deleted the APOD cookies and will report back after a few days once I can confirm it's working.
Well, that didn't work. Just 12 hours later and I again found I wasn't logged in. Same as before: I Refresh the Active topics page and seem to be still logged in, then click on one of the threads and I'm not logged in. Weird.

Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 am

geckzilla wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:40 pm Copy and paste the error message and search google for it between quotes, but only the part after the filename. I tried earlier with what Mark Bour had written, but I think it may have been paraphrased. That is how I solve at least 90% of all issues I have with computers. Alternatively, screenshot it, post it here, and I'll search.
DonutMachine-Dec04.jpg
The attachment DonutMachine-Dec04.jpg is no longer available

I'm not seeing an error message from the browser, it's only what appears in the post that I see, as you can see above. (Strangely, the one that it says is no longer available is the one that appears in the post. The one that does not appear was named just donut.jpg.)

I tried just what Mark described, dragging first one image then another into the composition area. Both were listed in the Attachments tab. Then I clicked Place inline for first one then the other. Both appeared as text links to their respective image in the composition area. When I clicked Preview I saw both in the post, but only one remained listed in the Attachments tab. When I clicked Submit, only that one appeared in the post. When I then clicked to edit the post after Submitting it, I still saw both img files in the composition area as text links, but only one is listed under Attachments and only that one appears.

Rob

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 am

rstevenson wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 am I tried just what Mark described, dragging first one image then another into the composition area. Both were listed in the Attachments tab. Then I clicked Place inline for first one then the other. Both appeared as text links to their respective image in the composition area. When I clicked Preview I saw both in the post, but only one remained listed in the Attachments tab. When I clicked Submit, only that one appeared in the post. When I then clicked to edit the post after Submitting it, I still saw both img files in the composition area as text links, but only one is listed under Attachments and only that one appears.

Rob
Glad to learn it is not just me, Rob (well, sort of glad, but not glad for other's frustrations). ... and very cute cookie image choice!

I totally agree, Geck and chris. As a web developer, I find many fixes the exact way you described.

And so, after a search, this looks like the problem Rob and I are having:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 6&start=15

I can't be sure if this phpBB is version 3.2.2 since the software is very shy about version numbers for anyone not an admin. But it sure sounds like the bug I'm experiencing.

If I were in your shoes, I would hesitate to try the fix recommended in that thread. If I read it correctly, it is a bit of a hack of the code. Perhaps it is best to just wait for the next version of the phpBB software, which will probably fix the issue.
Mark Goldfain

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:31 pm

It was no problem at all to do the fix:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5082/files

So it should work, now.

PS I got logged out sometime overnight, and I'm not sure why or if it will happen again. Still watching this issue.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm

geckzilla wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:31 pm It was no problem at all to do the fix:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5082/files

So it should work, now.

PS I got logged out sometime overnight, and I'm not sure why or if it will happen again. Still watching this issue.
The forum was down for at least a couple of hours this morning. When it came back, I had to log on again.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm The forum was down for at least a couple of hours this morning. When it came back, I had to log on again.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. And I forgot to tick the "remember me" box, so I was again logged out. Hmm. Try, try again.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm

I seem to be getting back into the forum without having to log in -- today, at least.

Edit, ~6 hours later: That didn't last long. Just found I was logged out again.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 am

rstevenson wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm I seem to be getting back into the forum without having to log in -- today, at least.

Edit, ~6 hours later: That didn't last long. Just found I was logged out again.

Rob
And you're absolutely sure you've been clicking the "remember me" check box while logging in, right?

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 am

Yup, every time.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 am

Ok, hm, well, the only thing I could find when looking at the settings was an option to use secure cookies, which I turned on since we are using https. It might help, or it might have no effect. Alternatively, now even more people might have a problem.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 am

I've been having a lot of problems with Starship Asterisk* lately. I can't open the page at all, or I can't post anything, or I can't edit my posts.

Ann
Color Commentator