APOD: Clouds of Earth and Sky (2018 Jul 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Clouds of Earth and Sky (2018 Jul 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:09 am

Image Clouds of Earth and Sky

Explanation: If you go high enough, you may find yourself on a picturesque perch between the water clouds of the Earth and the star clouds of the Milky Way. Such was the case last month for one adventurous alpinist astrophotographer. Captured here in the foreground above white clouds are mountain peaks in the Dolomite range in northern Italy. This multi-exposure image was captured from Lagazuoi, one of the Dolomites. Hundreds of millions of years ago, the Dolomites were not mountains but islands an ancient sea that rose through colliding tectonic plates. The Dolomites divergent history accounts for its unusually contrasting features, which include jagged crests and ancient marine fossils. High above even the Dolomites, and far in the distance, dark dust lanes streak out from the central plane of our Milky Way Galaxy. The stars and dust are dotted with bright red clouds of glowing hydrogen gas -- such as the Lagoon Nebula just above and to the left of center.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Clouds of Earth and Sky (2018 Jul 24)

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 am

This is a great APOD! The "sea of clouds" on the Earth are interesting, and the portrait of the Milky Way is superb! :D :clap:

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 am

Interstellar clouds, and terrestrial clouds!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am

heehaw wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 am
  • Dolotites and Dolomites.
Art Neuendorffer

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:41 pm

I was curious about the position of (4) Vesta in the picture, which would also provide the actual date (and I didn't want to log into FB to see if there was more info; also, no EXIF data this time).

Vesta is the relatively bright, star-like object to the left of, and slightly lower than the open cluster, M23. Its position corresponds with a date of June 12, 2018, in the early morning hours local time. The position of Saturn, the bright object at the left edge, is also consistent with June 12.

To find Vesta, draw a line from the Lagoon Nebula (M8, the brightest object in the picture, with a reddish tinge) upwards through the Trifid nebula (M20, also bright and reddish, but not nearly as large as M8) for about 2.5 times the spacing between M8 and M20. The line will pass between Vesta on the left and M23 on the right.

andyg

Post by andyg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Very neat. In a lot of situations, those lower clouds might be the best (and only?) way to reduce light pollution, especially in such highly-populated areas.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:19 am

andyg wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm Very neat. In a lot of situations, those lower clouds might be the best (and only?) way to reduce light pollution, especially in such highly-populated areas.
Not the only way. Widespread electric grid power failures are almost totally effective at reducing light pollution. :shock:

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Pinturicchio
Asternaut

Post by Pinturicchio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 am

From the data that appear on the profile fb of the author shows that the landscape with the clouds was taken approximately 10 months ago, in October 2017 with a 135mm, the sky probably 12 June 2018 with a 50mm, from a location that at this point I can not say it's the same.
It would be nice to know if photomontages like this are possible for the publication on APOD .... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 am

Pinturicchio wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 am From the data that appear on the profile fb of the author shows that the landscape with the clouds was taken approximately 10 months ago, in October 2017 with a 135mm, the sky probably 12 June 2018 with a 50mm, from a location that at this point I can not say it's the same.
It would be nice to know if photomontages like this are possible for the publication on APOD .... :shock: :shock: :shock:
APOD Robot wrote:

This multi-exposure image was captured from Lagazuoi
So yes, it is allowed.

So why not make a multi-exposure image yourself that is as nice as this one? Maybe it could become an APOD.

Ann
Color Commentator

Pinturicchio
Asternaut

Post by Pinturicchio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:59 am

I believe that a "Multi exposure" image is a bit different from an image taken on different dates and at different focal lengths.
It does not just change the exposure, it changes angles, proportions, perspectives, orientation....
But this is a matter of scientific rigor that NASA does not require...

I'm happy to have obtained my APOD without these tricks.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Pinturicchio wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:59 am I believe that a "Multi exposure" image is a bit different from an image taken on different dates and at different focal lengths.
It does not just change the exposure, it changes angles, proportions, perspectives, orientation....
But this is a matter of scientific rigor that NASA does not require...

I'm happy to have obtained my APOD without these tricks.
Yeah, I'm not really sure this kind of "multi exposure" is kosher. Here's the mentioned original image of the Dolomites. The APOD would appear to not be an accurate representation of a real scene. I don't even know if this one is a real image.
Sirio.jpg
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:25 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am
What's a Dolotite ?
Mark Goldfain

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm

MarkBour wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:25 pm
neufer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am
What's a Dolotite ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalactite wrote:
<<A stalactite (from the Greek stalasso, (σταλάσσω), "to drip", and meaning "that which drips") is a type of formation that hangs from the ceiling of caves, hot springs, or manmade structures such as bridges and mines. Any material which is soluble, can be deposited as a colloid, or is in suspension, or is capable of being melted, may form a stalactite. Stalactites may be composed of lava, minerals, mud, peat, pitch, sand, sinter, and amberat (crystallized urine of pack rats).

A stalagmite (from the Greek σταλαγμίτης - stalagmitês, from σταλαγμίας - stalagmias, "dropping, trickling") is a type of rock formation that rises from the floor of a cave due to the accumulation of material deposited on the floor from ceiling drippings.

The Dolomites, also known as the "Pale Mountains", take their name from the carbonate rock dolomite, itself named for 18th-century French mineralogist Déodat Gratet de Dolomieu (1750–1801), who was the first to describe the mineral.

Dolostone or dolomite rock is a sedimentary carbonate rock that contains a high percentage of the mineral dolomite, CaMg(CO3)2. In old USGS publications, it was referred to as magnesian limestone, a term now reserved for magnesium-deficient dolostones or magnesium-rich limestones. Technically, dolostone has a stoichiometric ratio of nearly equal amounts of magnesium and calcium. Most dolostones formed as a magnesium replacement of limestone or lime mud prior to lithification. It is resistant to erosion and can either contain bedded layers or be unbedded. It is less soluble than limestone in weakly acidic groundwater, but it can still develop solution features over time.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Mistikal

Post by Mistikal » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 pm

So how come you can see and photograph the milky way from earth but whenever you see pictures of astronauts on the space station you can never see the milky way on those pictures? This has always puzzled me. Fantastic picture, I love it. :)

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Mistikal wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 pm
So how come you can see and photograph the milky way from earth but whenever you see pictures of astronauts on the space station you can never see the milky way on those pictures? This has always puzzled me. Fantastic picture, I love it. :)
Whenever you see pictures of astronauts on the space station between Memorial Day and Labor Day you can never see the milky way because the astronauts are always wearing their summer whites such that the photographs are set to too short an exposure to also see the milky way.
https://womens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Why_Is_It_Bad_to_Wear_White_After_Labor_Day wrote:
<<In the early 1900s, the rule about only wearing white between Memorial Day and Labor Day was started according to the vacationing schedule of the elite. Those who could afford it would leave their homes behind and spend months at the sea or in the mountains, where they had a completely different type of wardrobe, including the light, bright white pieces most associated with the summer months. When those fun-loving summer days were over, the white clothes were packed away and the people went back to their regular lives, having escaped the oppressive heat between the end of May and early September. Those white clothes that they loved during the summer months had no place in their "real life" wardrobes, so the cutoff for white clothing became Labor Day.>>
Art Neuendorffer

robertocolombari

Post by robertocolombari » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm

There has been a discussion over the FB pages today about it (in Italian).
I'm not particularly touched by the fact that this image is not "real" but what would have been great is the author explaining that he copied and pasted (if he did so, as I understood) the milky way from another image he did, probably not even in the Dolomites.

Again, it is not required. It is a gentle agreement among us, imagers.

As far as I understood from Facebook today, this image has nothing to do with multi-exposure techniques, for instance some longer exposures for the Milky Way and shorter for the terrestrial landscape and then a merge in PS.
It seems that these are 2 separated sessions, probably not even done in the same place, and merged together with some unknown criteria (if I am wrong on this point, I'd be glad to be corrected).

Cheers.

RC

Bubu93
Asternaut

Post by Bubu93 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 pm

robertocolombari wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm There has been a discussion over the FB pages today about it (in Italian).
I'm not particularly touched by the fact that this image is not "real" but what would have been great is the author explaining that he copied and pasted (if he did so, as I understood) the milky way from another image he did, probably not even in the Dolomites.

As far as I understood from Facebook today, this image has nothing to do with multi-exposure techniques, for instance some longer exposures for the Milky Way and shorter for the terrestrial landscape and then a merge in PS.
It seems that these are 2 separated sessions, probably not even done in the same place, and merged together with some unknown criteria (if I am wrong on this point, I'd be glad to be corrected).
This is the image used for the milky way shot, completely unrelated to the Dolomites image (and pheraps also to the sea one?).
https://www.facebook.com/angeloperronep ... =3&theater

I've also seen what happened on those italian pages, after he got criticized for the manipulation apparently the author threatened to sue the owner of the page which caught him and now the page got taken down (not sure if by the owned for caution or because of legal measures), that's a pretty disgusting behaviour if you ask me... :?

robertocolombari

Post by robertocolombari » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Lol I read it :D

micheleciro
Asternaut

Post by micheleciro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Is there a way to let APOD know the scandal going on in Italy with this photo? It's not good for this website, nor for Italian astrophotographers...

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm

micheleciro wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm Is there a way to let APOD know the scandal going on in Italy with this photo? It's not good for this website, nor for Italian astrophotographers...
You can email the editors if you want. I'm not sure how many people have already informed them about it, though. Oddly enough, this isn't the first scandal to come out of Italy.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.