APOD: Light Pillars over Whitefish Bay (2018 Oct 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Light Pillars over Whitefish Bay (2018 Oct 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 am

Image Light Pillars over Whitefish Bay

Explanation: What's happening in the sky? Unusual lights appeared last week to hover above Whitefish Bay on the eastern edge of Lake Superior between the USA and Canada. Unsure of the cause, the Michigan-based astrophotographer switched camera lenses -- from fisheye to telephoto -- and soon realized he was seeing light pillars: vertical lines of light over a ground source that reflect from falling ice crystals. As the ground temperature was above freezing, the flat crystals likely melted as they approached the ground, creating a lower end to the vertical light pillars. The red ground lights originated from wind turbines on Ile Parisienne, a Canadian Island visible across the bay.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: APOD: Light Pillars over Whitefish Bay (2018 Oct 24)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 am

Awesome photo. It has a sort of close encounters vibe to it too.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 am

That's a lovely picture, startlingly divided into two parts by that horizontal cloud bank in the middle. Above it, there is a dark sky, feathery cloudlets, an amazing multitude of stars and those eerie softly colored pillars of light. Below it, the world seems more humdrum: there are few stars, there is a sense of the sky being overcast (although it isn't) and details seem to be lost in a brightening sky.

Like Bruce said in the post above mine, there is a sense of an alien encounter here. Although we are really only encountering some of the marvels of the interface between the Earth and the surrounding cosmos.

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 am

Hosts of angels from on high?

Tragic Astronomy
Ensign

Post by Tragic Astronomy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

Smart as trees in Sault Saint Marie
I can speak my mother tongue
Passing laws, just because
And singing songs Of the English unsung

Well, how could you do it?
Well, how could you even try?
When you were born in the water
And you were raised up in the sky?

APOD from 2018 June 6 A Sun Pillar over Norway

Tragic Astronomy
Ensign

Post by Tragic Astronomy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:16 am

We can take it a little bit further
We can stick to the after effects part
Not trying to make you a believer
Don't want a little piece of your heart
Just telling you a story about the lake fever
Or we can skip to the neutral fury
You didn't say yes or no neither
You whispered hurry

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 am

Aliens! Looks like another episode for Doctor Who.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

(That was a movie that kept going nowhere for a long time - but when the spaceship finally appeared, it sure looked good!)

Ann
Color Commentator

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 am Awesome photo. It has a sort of close encounters vibe to it too.
I had the same reaction :-)
Ann wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

(That was a movie that kept going nowhere for a long time - but when the spaceship finally appeared, it sure looked good!)

Ann
Ann, you captured the quintessential scene. ... and I can't argue with that synopsis ...

These are truly amazingly large and numerous light pillars!
Capture.png

Although Whitefish Bay is at the east end of Lake Superior, it juts down to the south; this photo was evidently taken on the west bank of the bay, and was shot looking east, toward an island out in the middle of it.
Mark Goldfain

khh

Post by khh » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 pm

You can order these at MyPillars.com

WarningWarningWarning

Post by WarningWarningWarning » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Now even the SKY has a UPC 666!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:27 pm

MarkBour wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pmAlthough Whitefish Bay is at the east end of Lake Superior, it juts down to the south; this photo was evidently taken on the west bank of the bay, and was shot looking east, toward an island out in the middle of it.
A little south of the island, I think. Those points of light along the thin streak of land are warning lights on a large wind farm (great place for it) just north of the Sault Ste. Marie airport on the Canadian mainland. The island has nothing equivalent on it.

Rob

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:56 pm

rstevenson wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:27 pm
MarkBour wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pmAlthough Whitefish Bay is at the east end of Lake Superior, it juts down to the south; this photo was evidently taken on the west bank of the bay, and was shot looking east, toward an island out in the middle of it.
A little south of the island, I think. Those points of light along the thin streak of land are warning lights on a large wind farm (great place for it) just north of the Sault Ste. Marie airport on the Canadian mainland. The island has nothing equivalent on it.

Rob
Thank you, Rob.
Capture.png
It shows how easily I am fooled.

(Both the photographer's own notes on the shot and the APOD caption make it seem that perhaps they too, thought the turbines were on Ile Parisienne.)

I guess those turbines are in the Prince Wind Farm located just where you said -- further east in the township of Prince, Ontario, CA -- on the Canadian mainland. The brightest source of light on the horizon would perhaps be the city glow of Sault Ste. Marie. These would be the source of the light pillars, mostly, I would guess. Whitefish Bay is only about 15-20 miles across, so this all seems reasonable.

But this makes it hard for me to interpret what one is seeing to the right in the photograph (which must be the south end of some land). The last light to the right (the southernmost) seems to be at the edge of it.

So, now I am unable to fully harmonize all of this information. I would re-draw my red arrow, but I've lost confidence in it now.
Mark Goldfain

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 pm

rstevenson wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:27 pm

MarkBour wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:56 pm
MarkBour wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pm
Although Whitefish Bay is at the east end of Lake Superior, it juts down to the south; this photo was evidently taken on the west bank of the bay, and was shot looking east, toward an island out in the middle of it.
It shows how easily I am fooled. (Both the photographer's own notes on the shot and the APOD caption make it seem that perhaps they too, thought the turbines were on Ile Parisienne.) I guess those turbines are in the Prince Wind Farm located just where you said -- further east in the township of Prince, Ontario, CA -- on the Canadian mainland. The brightest source of light on the horizon would perhaps be the city glow of Sault Ste. Marie. These would be the source of the light pillars, mostly, I would guess. But this makes it hard for me to interpret what one is seeing to the right in the photograph (which must be the south end of some land). The last light to the right (the southernmost) seems to be at the edge of it.
What if "the brightest source of light on the horizon" perhaps would be the Ile Parisienne Light at the southern end of Ile Parisienne such that the Prince Wind Farm is being observed over and beyond Ile Parisienne looking southeast from Whitefish Point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ile_Parisienne wrote:
<<The Ile Parisienne Light located on the southern top of the island is a critical aid to navigation on a major shipping lane in Lake Superior. The lighthouse was designated a Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1991 and it is on the petitioned list for designation as a Heritage Lighthouse of Canada. The Ile Parisienne Conservation Reserve was created in 2001 to protect the island's pristine geology, habitat, and wildlife.>>
Art Neuendorffer