Starlink

The cosmos at our fingertips.
User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8999
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Starlink

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 25, 2019 9:24 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_ ... tellation)
SpaceX has plans to deploy nearly 12,000 satellites in three orbital shells by the mid-2020s
not sure why I never heard of this until just recently when people started posting pictures of dotted lines crossing the sky after this initial launch of 60 satellites. the astronomy community is pretty concerned. what do you all think of this? is it going to ruin observational astronomy? will Chris's allsky meteor cameras be inundated with satellite streaks?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14615
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Starlink

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 26, 2019 2:06 am

geckzilla wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:24 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_ ... tellation)
SpaceX has plans to deploy nearly 12,000 satellites in three orbital shells by the mid-2020s
not sure why I never heard of this until just recently when people started posting pictures of dotted lines crossing the sky after this initial launch of 60 satellites. the astronomy community is pretty concerned. what do you all think of this? is it going to ruin observational astronomy? will Chris's allsky meteor cameras be inundated with satellite streaks?
Well, these things are very small, and I expect not very bright. I'm sure they would show up in astroimages (primarily amateur, which tend to be wider field than professional images), but they should be easily edited out, so I don't thing they'll have much impact on astronomy.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8999
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Starlink

Post by geckzilla » Sun May 26, 2019 6:31 am

Just reading over some of the things astronomers have said so far:
Their TLEs will not be very accurate for very long because these things are actively moving around to avoid collisions and maintain their net, so the margin of error is going to have to be quite large, blotting out large portions of the sky or even making it impossible in some cases to avoid them

Projects like LSST are going to at minimum end up with around 5 of them in each field

They are not THAT dim, depending on what your latitude is and which way Earth is currently tilting. At higher latitudes during summer, they will never pass through the Earth's umbra from your viewpoint, being visible all night long

Current imagery shows them being at around magnitude 3-4, which may increase slightly as their altitude raises

12000 LEO satellites is A LOT. Right now, if you count ALL space debris, including junk from launches and the faintest stuff that's far out, there are around 19400 bits out there. But these are all going to be low earth orbit! And in an operational net that ensures they're always overhead.

Further thoughts: How many more telecoms will want a piece of this pie? How many more shells of satellites will we eventually end up with?

h/t to Doug Ellison and others I have forgotten due to just reading so many sources
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14615
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Starlink

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 26, 2019 12:55 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:31 am
Just reading over some of the things astronomers have said so far:
Their TLEs will not be very accurate for very long because these things are actively moving around to avoid collisions and maintain their net, so the margin of error is going to have to be quite large, blotting out large portions of the sky or even making it impossible in some cases to avoid them

Projects like LSST are going to at minimum end up with around 5 of them in each field

They are not THAT dim, depending on what your latitude is and which way Earth is currently tilting. At higher latitudes during summer, they will never pass through the Earth's umbra from your viewpoint, being visible all night long

Current imagery shows them being at around magnitude 3-4, which may increase slightly as their altitude raises

12000 LEO satellites is A LOT. Right now, if you count ALL space debris, including junk from launches and the faintest stuff that's far out, there are around 19400 bits out there. But these are all going to be low earth orbit! And in an operational net that ensures they're always overhead.

Further thoughts: How many more telecoms will want a piece of this pie? How many more shells of satellites will we eventually end up with?

h/t to Doug Ellison and others I have forgotten due to just reading so many sources
It comes down to whether the harms are justified by the benefits. A worldwide communications net is potentially of high benefit (but perhaps we should see this as a regulated part of public infrastructure, not a wholly private venture). And I haven't yet seen anything that suggests much harm... why are some of these things in the field of astronomical instruments a problem?
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8999
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Starlink

Post by geckzilla » Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 pm

It's a project that affects the whole globe, but it's hardly anyone was asked about it... it's just one billionaire using a global resource to fund his Mars fantasy while ostensibly "saving" humanity. The impact is on both optical and radio astronomy. They will emit in radio frequency on what was a quiet band... anyway, I'm sure you'll hear about it more and with greater accuracy on the actual impact in the coming weeks and months.

On a similar topic, apparently the 5G band being auctioned off to telecoms will also be an incredible disruption to weather prediction since those bands are naturally extremely faint, so when a bunch of cell towers and phones start emitting in that range it's going to drown out weather observations.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14615
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Starlink

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 pm
It's a project that affects the whole globe, but it's hardly anyone was asked about it... it's just one billionaire using a global resource to fund his Mars fantasy while ostensibly "saving" humanity. The impact is on both optical and radio astronomy. They will emit in radio frequency on what was a quiet band... anyway, I'm sure you'll hear about it more and with greater accuracy on the actual impact in the coming weeks and months.

On a similar topic, apparently the 5G band being auctioned off to telecoms will also be an incredible disruption to weather prediction since those bands are naturally extremely faint, so when a bunch of cell towers and phones start emitting in that range it's going to drown out weather observations.
I think there are a great many non-science factors that should be considered. But I'd also like to know more about the impact on ground-based astronomical research. I just haven't heard a lot yet.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8999
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Starlink

Post by geckzilla » Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, there hasn't been a lot at all to talk about until now! It's really surprising that there was virtually no discussion prior to this.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14615
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Starlink

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Imaged by my colleague Marco Langbroek a few days ago.
_
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18993
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Starlink

Post by bystander » Mon May 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16445
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Starlink

Post by neufer » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2598
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: Starlink

Post by rstevenson » Tue May 28, 2019 1:12 pm

News item this morning (first I'd heard of this) suggests that the billionaire and team will be looking at the possibility of reducing the satellites' albedo, now that people have begun to express reservations. I can't imagine why this idea would come so late to the table. You'd think anyone putting up 12,000 satellites would have considered their visual effect before now -- but I suppose that would require a level of humility rarely exhibited by self-made billionaires.

Article also mentioned that the expected final albedo of the current bright ones will be about +6.

Space.com article here (from which the article I was reading seems to have been cadged)...

Rob

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16445
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Starlink

Post by neufer » Tue May 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
rstevenson wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:12 pm

News item this morning (first I'd heard of this) suggests that the billionaire and team will be looking at the possibility of reducing the satellites' albedo, now that people have begun to express reservations. I can't imagine why this idea would come so late to the table. You'd think anyone putting up 12,000 satellites would have considered their visual effect before now -- but I suppose that would require a level of humility rarely exhibited by self-made billionaires.

Article also mentioned that the expected final albedo of the current bright ones will be about +6.

Space.com article here (from which the article I was reading seems to have been cadged)...
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18993
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Starlink

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm

AAS Issues Position Statement on Satellite Constellations
American Astronomical Society | 2019 Jun 10

The American Astronomical Society notes with concern the impending deployment of very large constellations of satellites into Earth orbit. The number of such satellites is projected to grow into the tens of thousands over the next several years, creating the potential for substantial adverse impacts to ground- and space-based astronomy. These impacts could include significant disruption of optical and near-infrared observations by direct detection of satellites in reflected and emitted light; contamination of radio astronomical observations by electromagnetic radiation in satellite communication bands; and collision with space-based observatories.

The AAS recognizes that outer space is an increasingly available resource with many possible uses. However, the potential for multiple large satellite constellations to adversely affect both each other and the study of the cosmos is becoming increasingly apparent, both in low Earth orbit and beyond.

The AAS is actively working to assess the impacts on astronomy of large satellite constellations before their numbers rise further. Only with thorough and quantitative understanding can we properly assess the risks and identify appropriate mitigating actions. The AAS desires that this be a collaborative effort among its members, other scientific societies, and other space stakeholders including private companies. The AAS will support and facilitate the work by relevant parties to understand fully and minimize the impact of large satellite constellations on ground- and space-based astronomy.

On the increasing number of satellite constellations
ESO Announcement | 2019 Jun 07

IAU Statement on Satellite Constellations
International Astronomical Union | 2019 Jun 03

Statement on Starlink and ‘Constellations’ of Communication Satellites
National Radio Astronomy Observatory | 2019 May 31

Response to SpaceX Starlink Low Earth Orbit Satellite Constellation
International Dark-Sky Association | 2019 May 29
Last edited by bystander on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ESO, IAU, NRAO, and IDA links
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor