APOD: La Silla Eclipse Sequence (2019 Jul 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: La Silla Eclipse Sequence (2019 Jul 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 am

Image La Silla Eclipse Sequence

Explanation: The road to the high mountaintop La Silla Observatory in the Chilean Atacama Desert also led in to the path of July 2nd's total solar eclipse. Recorded at regular intervals before and after the total eclipse phase, the frames in this composite sequence include the moment the Moon's dark shadow fell across some of planet Earth's advanced large telescopes. The dreamlike view looks west toward the setting Sun and the approaching Moon shadow. In fact La Silla was a little north of the shadow track's center line, so the region's stunning, clear skies are slightly brighter to the north (right) in the scene.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: La Silla Eclipse Sequence (2019 Jul 05)

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:41 am

Awesome...must have been a great sight.

Tonight at sunset I was at a store, came out to the parking lot... my eye caught a very red glow...I thought it was a sign...like a red price sign for gas or something... it was the SUN!!!! I don't think I have ever seen it so very red...I was amazed...

:---[===] *

Elias Chasiotis
Ensign

Post by Elias Chasiotis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 am

A magnificent time lapse image of the recent total eclipse from Petr Horálek. Note the planet Venus as a small white spot just to the right of the 10th sun image from below. as it became visible during totality.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 pm

With today's technology; eclipse's have become fairly commonplace! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Why don't solar observing satellites supply all we need to know about eclipses/corona by putting a disk in the lens to blot out the Sun?
Why are terrestrial observations still needed?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm Why don't solar observing satellites supply all we need to know about eclipses/corona by putting a disk in the lens to blot out the Sun?
Why are terrestrial observations still needed?
For the most part, they do. Terrestrial observation of eclipses yields little scientific information about the Sun anymore. Eclipse observation is about experiencing a natural wonder, it's about amateurs duplicating science of the past, it's about people testing their imaging skills.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:38 pm

That sequence confused me—until I remembered that it was from the southern hemisphere!

Once, when I was flying at night toward southern Chile, the pattern of stars and planets outside the window looked strangely familiar, yet somehow wrong. Then it struck me—the sky was “upside down”! (And I still had a flat-Earther the other day insist that I had to have personally created the flight plan and piloted the plane in order for my observations to count.)

I still need a bit of work on my northern hemisphere chauvinism. But in my defense, I’ve only been to the southern hemisphere 3 times.