APOD: Da Vinci Rise (2019 Sep 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Da Vinci Rise (2019 Sep 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:06 am

Image Da Vinci Rise

Explanation: An old Moon rose this morning, its waning sunlit crescent shining just above the eastern horizon before sunrise. But earthshine, light reflected from a bright planet Earth, lit the shadowed portion of the lunar disk and revealed most of a familiar lunar near side to early morning risers. In fact, a description of earthshine in terms of sunlight reflected by Earth's oceans illuminating the Moon's dark surface was written over 500 years ago by Leonardo da Vinci. One lunation ago this old Moon also rose above the eastern horizon. Its sunlit crescent and da Vinci glow were captured in stacked exposures from the Badain Jilin Desert of Inner Mongolia, China on August 29, 2019. This year marks the 500th anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci's death.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Da Vinci Rise (2019 Sep 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am

Pretty much a Full Moon from the Earth Shine! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

Nice image...

:---[===] *

U.N.Own

Post by U.N.Own » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

This year marks the 500th anniversary of Leondardo da Vinci's death.

:?:

gwhastings
Asternaut

Post by gwhastings » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:21 pm

The thin crescent Moon and the faintly visible rest of its face illuminated by sunlight reflected off the various surfaces of Earth was eloquently described in a poem by David Hagan:

EARTHGLOW
You see the waxing crescent hang upon
The twilight, asymptotic horns aglow
Where island peaks alight in flood of dawn
And here rotation through the indigo
Continuum to violet brings surprise.
The inlay gilds an orb of ashen blue!
Tranquility in silence send our skies
Earth's light again with subtle change in hue.
So heaving azure ocean swells, and snow,
And living green, and ochre sands compile
On rocky pallet, one light-second's flow
Across the void. The thought has made you smile,
Then turn and see a neighboring body's face
Reflect your light and thought in nearby space.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:14 pm

It is a fortunate thing that we live on a spherical body, so that part of the Earth can be in the full radiant blast of sunlight and can reflect that light back into space to reach the Moon at a time when we can, still in relative shelter from that radiation, observe what the Moon reflects back to us.
Mark Goldfain

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Is there an accounting for the energy absorbed with the radiation transfer per reflection? Does the exchange gradually dissipate?

hypatia
Ensign

Post by hypatia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Leondardo da Vinci?

You have one too many d's in Leonardo da Vinci's name. Remember proofreading is your friend!

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 am

hypatia wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm Leondardo da Vinci?

You have one too many d's in Leonardo da Vinci's name. Remember proofreading is your friend!
One thing I wonder about the editing process. Sometimes a typo gets discovered and fixed on the "APOD Robot" post on this discussion page, but still remains incorrect on the APOD page itself. One wonders that they can be out of synch like that. I suppose they are separate copies, and one copy may be more trouble to change than the other (?)
Mark Goldfain

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:33 am

DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm Is there an accounting for the energy absorbed with the radiation transfer per reflection? Does the exchange gradually dissipate?
I don't understand your question. Are you talking about a possible push from the light being reflected? Or a sort of Yarkovsky effect here?
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:42 pm

MarkBour wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 am

One thing I wonder about the editing process. Sometimes a typo gets discovered and fixed on the "APOD Robot" post on this discussion page, but still remains incorrect on the APOD page itself. One wonders that they can be out of synch like that. I suppose they are separate copies, and one copy may be more trouble to change than the other (?)
They are separate, and need to be corrected separately. Usually, only the main APOD page gets corrected, not the copy here in Asterisk that gets grabbed off that page by Otto every midnight.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:15 am

hypatia wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 pm
Leondardo da Vinci?

To show you how dishonest the LameStream Media is, I used the word Liddle’, not Liddle, in discribing Corrupt Congressman Liddle’ Adam Schiff. Low ratings @CNN purposely took the hyphen out and said I spelled the word little wrong. A small but never ending situation with CNN!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 27, 2019
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:56 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:42 pm
MarkBour wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 am

They are separate, and need to be corrected separately. Usually, only the main APOD page gets corrected, not the copy here in Asterisk that gets grabbed off that page by Otto every midnight.
Hmmm ... but in this case, it is the opposite -- the copy in Asterisk has been corrected, but the main page has not.

I suspect that someone like geck has corrected it here, but that only RNJ or JTB update the main one, and they may not listen in on Asterisk with as much attention. It would be nice if someone could edit them both, or one auto-updated the other, but ... I guess it's a separation of duties.
Mark Goldfain

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:55 am

Leonardo da Vinci rose.
Copyright: Olga Ionina.

I keep reading "Da Vinci Rose" when you talk about this "Da Vinci Rise". So I thought I's show you the real Da Vinci (Leonardo, not Leondardo) rose. Here it is! Sorry about the gridmarks across the picture.

It's a nice rose, isn't it?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:55 am
I keep reading "Da Vinci Rose" when you talk about this "Da Vinci Rise".

So I thought I's show you the real Da Vinci (Leonardo, not Leondardo) rose. Here it is!

It's a nice rose, isn't it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lardo wrote: <<Lardo is a type of salumi [Italian cold cuts predominantly made from pork] made by curing strips of fatback with rosemary (and other herbs and spices). The most famous lardo is from the Tuscan hamlet of Colonnata, where lardo has been made since Roman times. Colonnata is a frazione of the larger city of Carrara, which is famous for its marble; Colonnata is itself a site where Carrara marble is quarried and, traditionally, lardo is cured for months in basins made of this local marble.

Another prized form of lardo is the Valle d'Aosta Lard d'Arnad from the area of Arnad in Aosta Valley of northwest Italy. Both superior types of lardo may be served very thinly sliced as an antipasto.>>
Art Neuendorffer