APOD: Passing Asteroid Arrokoth (2019 Nov 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Passing Asteroid Arrokoth (2019 Nov 18)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:05 am

Image Passing Asteroid Arrokoth

Explanation: What would it look like to pass asteroid Arrokoth? The robotic New Horizons spacecraft zoomed past Arrokoth in January, 3.5 years after the spacecraft passed Pluto. If this object's name doesn't sound familiar, that may be because the distant, double-lobed, Kuiper-belt object was unofficially dubbed Ultima Thule until recently receiving its official name: 486958 Arrokoth. The featured black and white video animates images of Arrokoth taken by New Horizons at different angles as it zoomed by. The video clearly shows Arrokoth's two lobes, and even hints that the larger lobe is significantly flattened. New Horizons found that Arrokoth is different from any known asteroid in the inner Solar System and is likely composed of two joined planetesimals -- the building blocks of planets as they existed billions of years ago. New Horizons continues to speed out of our Solar System gaining about three additional Earth-Sun separations every year.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: Passing Asteroid Arrokoth (2019 Nov 18)

Post by www » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am

Same Rock different Name.

Actually I think I've heard it put this way once: A rock by any other name is still a rock.

(Now when will they finally get around to renaming Uranus ?)

downstarr
Asternaut

Post by downstarr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 am

This is a another dumb video. Thanks for a waste of 1 second!

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 am

It is an almost inconceivable privilege for us humans, stuck here on Earth, to be able to see, with our own eyes, that amazing fragment of the early solar system, shivering in the far far outskirts of our solar system! What a joy to be a human with the sensibility to realize the breadth and depth of our human experience, and also to have a NASA (and an APL!) that can deliver such a wonderful treasure to us. Oh yes, and an APOD, too! Go, Human Race, GO!

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 am

Thnak to the Wiki, we learn that, "Arrokoth was named for a word glossed as "sky", from the Powhatan language of the Tidewater region of Virginia and Maryland.[20] The pronunciation and meaning of the word, however, are not entirely certain, as the language became extinct in the late 18th century and little was recorded of it. "
Thnak you, New Horizons team - At least we can pronounce it how the Hell we like, with no arguments.
John

Barry

Post by Barry » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 am

www wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am Same Rock different Name.

Actually I think I've heard it put this way once: A rock by any other name is still a rock.

(Now when will they finally get around to renaming Uranus ?)
They are getting tired of the jokes so they will be renaming it “Urectum”.

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:45 pm

I remember seeing these photos before and thinking how much Arrokoth looks like conglomerate rocks I picked up in stream beds. Gravity in both cases (with a little help from a sticky matrix) makes for strong compression - conglomerate rocks, black holes, and everything in between.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Oh my! I wonder; does this mean Ultima Thule now has an alias; Arrokoth? :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Ultimately Arrokoth

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 pm

• Given the shape & rotation of Arrokoth it could just as well have been called Tomahawk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk wrote:
<<A tomahawk is a type of single-handed axe from North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft. Tomahawks were general-purpose tools used by Native Americans and later the European colonials with whom they traded, and often employed as a hand-to-hand or a thrown weapon. The name comes from Powhatan tamahaac, derived from the Proto-Algonquian root *temah- "to cut off by tool". Algonquian cognates include Lenape təmahikan, Malecite-Passamaquoddy tomhikon, and Abenaki demahigan, all of which mean "axe".>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile) wrote:
<<The Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) is a long-range, all-weather, jet-powered, subsonic cruise missile that is primarily used by the United States Navy and Royal Navy in ship- and submarine-based land-attack operations. The U.S. Navy launched the BGM-109 Tomahawk project, hiring James H. Walker and a team of scientists at the Applied Physics Laboratory near Laurel, Maryland.>>
Art Neuendorffer

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm

heehaw wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 am It is an almost inconceivable privilege for us humans, stuck here on Earth, to be able to see, with our own eyes, that amazing fragment of the early solar system, shivering in the far far outskirts of our solar system! What a joy to be a human with the sensibility to realize the breadth and depth of our human experience, and also to have a NASA (and an APL!) that can deliver such a wonderful treasure to us. Oh yes, and an APOD, too! Go, Human Race, GO!
And what a juxtaposition - certainly not superposition! - of perceptions between yours and the view au dessus de toi.

Well, at the risk of looking daft >>> it occurs to me that the overall presentation of this object is so odd it looks deliberate, not accidental. Now *there's* an interesting take on the message-in-a-bottle, and to your chosen ilk of recipient!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:26 pm

an interesting read about how Arrokoth's shape was figured before Horizons got there!http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/PI- ... 08_08_2017
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:02 pm

zendae1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm
heehaw wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 am It is an almost inconceivable privilege for us humans, stuck here on Earth, to be able to see, with our own eyes, that amazing fragment of the early solar system, shivering in the far far outskirts of our solar system! What a joy to be a human with the sensibility to realize the breadth and depth of our human experience, and also to have a NASA (and an APL!) that can deliver such a wonderful treasure to us. Oh yes, and an APOD, too! Go, Human Race, GO!
And what a juxtaposition - certainly not superposition! - of perceptions between yours and the view au dessus de toi.

Well, at the risk of looking daft >>> it occurs to me that the overall presentation of this object is so odd it looks deliberate, not accidental. Now *there's* an interesting take on the message-in-a-bottle, and to your chosen ilk of recipient!
Consider what might have happened if this contact binary object had been showing us it's flat edge, or if one lobe had been behind the other at the time a second target for New Horizons was being searched for; it would have been dimmer, and so might have escaped detection and/or selection as NH's next target after the Pluto system. So there's a selection bias that could have worked in its favor due to its face on orientation.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:33 pm

NCTom wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:45 pm I remember seeing these photos before and thinking how much Arrokoth looks like conglomerate rocks I picked up in stream beds. Gravity in both cases (with a little help from a sticky matrix) makes for strong compression - conglomerate rocks, black holes, and everything in between.
Yes, they do resemble conglomerate, but the gravity couldn't have been that strong for such small bodies. Particularly so for the smaller pieces of each main lobe. I would guess that once two or more objects freeze together this far from the sun ices would tend to build up fastest at the area(s) of contact, filling up the gaps over time.

Bruce
Last edited by BDanielMayfield on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm

www wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am Same Rock different Name.

But with a harder name to remember this time. :(

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Arrokoth's red glare

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm
www wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am
Same Rock different Name.

Actually I think I've heard it put this way once:
A rock by any other name is still a rock.
But with a harder name to remember this time. :(
  • Arrokoth rolleth off the tongue.

Arrokoth, Arrokoth, a rock
    Aroseth, aroseth, a rose
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm

So which lobe is Arro and which is Koth?
Mark Goldfain

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 am

MarkBour wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm So which lobe is Arro and which is Koth?
I hope that Ultima and Thule can be retained for the two major parts. It would be fitting, as these two lobes have been called that in scientific literature extensively.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:58 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Consider what might have happened if this contact binary object had been showing us it's flat edge, or if one lobe had been behind the other at the time a second target for New Horizons was being searched for; it would have been dimmer, and so might have escaped detection and/or selection as NH's next target after the Pluto system. So there's a selection bias that could have worked in its favor due to its face on orientation.

Bruce
Although I'd offer that most visual aspects of this would remain a compelling curiosity. But alas space is too empty, light too slow, for any meaningful communication across the cosmos. It'll have to be done by smart fellows somewhere who have quite a handle on something perhaps like applied entanglement mechanics lol...

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:19 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 am
MarkBour wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm So which lobe is Arro and which is Koth?
I hope that Ultima and Thule can be retained for the two major parts. It would be fitting, as these two lobes have been called that in scientific literature extensively.
Yes, Bruce, that would be a good thing! My tongue-in-cheek comment was sort of lamenting that we are being told to give up the earlier name, but your answer is satisfying. That would allow us to continue to refer to Ultima and Thule along with Arrokoth. (And it will be handy for the Arrokoth postal service some day.)
Mark Goldfain