APOD: Venus and Jupiter on the Horizon (2019 Nov 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Venus and Jupiter on the Horizon (2019 Nov 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:06 am

Image Venus and Jupiter on the Horizon

Explanation: What are those two bright objects on the horizon? Venus and Jupiter. The two brightest planets in the night sky passed very close together -- angularly -- just two days ago. In real space, they were just about as far apart as usual, since Jupiter (on the right) orbits the Sun around seven times farther out than Venus. The planetary duo were captured together two days ago in a picturesque sunset sky from Llers, Catalonia, Spain between a tree and the astrophotographer's daughter. These two planets will continue to stand out in the evening sky, toward the west, for the next few days, with a sliver of a crescent Moon and a fainter Saturn also visible nearby. As November ends, Jupiter will sink lower into the sunset horizon with each subsequent night, while Venus will rise higher. The next Jupiter-Venus conjunction will occur in early 2021.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

louis judson

Re: APOD: Venus and Jupiter on the Horizon (2019 Nov 26)

Post by louis judson » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 am

What a lovely image! So romantic... I half expected the woman to be the pregnant wife, rather than the daughter, gazing at the near conjunction of two such mythically named planets. Beautiful shapes against the sky, and in it. Thank you, Mr. Casado! Or should I say Senor Casado?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm

VenJup191124_jcc_1080.jpg
VenJup191124_jcc_1080.jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Nice picture JC Casado; Very nice indeed! I really like it!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm

As I was looking at the description, I wondered "Okay, so what is the 3rd bright object in the picture?"
So, as I scrolled down to click the "Discuss" button, it became quite obvious.
It was a light colored speck on my monitor!
B^)

Happy Thanksgiving to APODders in the USA!
(and cheerful greetings to the rest of you -except Neufer of course! :wink: )

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
TheZuke! wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm
As I was looking at the description, I wondered "Okay, so what is the 3rd bright object in the picture?" So, as I scrolled down to click the "Discuss" button, it became quite obvious.
It was a light colored speck on my monitor! B^)
  • The discussions here are always informative & clarifying.
TheZuke! wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm
Happy Thanksgiving to APODders in the USA!
(and cheerful greetings to the rest of you
-except Neufer of course! :wink: )
  • Things are getting worse out there :arrow:
Art Neuendorffer

skyshaper

Post by skyshaper » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 pm

love the misspelling father/futher, APOD has been my start page for years now, cheers from Sweden

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm

skyshaper wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 pm
love the misspelling father/futher, APOD has been my start page for years now, cheers from Sweden
  • Or farter/furter
https://grammarist.com/usage/farther-further/ wrote:
<<Farther and further both mean at a greater distance, and they are used interchangeably in this sense. In the United States, though, farther is more often used to refer to physical distances, and further more often refers to figurative and nonphysical distances. For example, we might say that one mountain is farther away than another, while we might say the price of a stock (a nonphysical thing) fell further today than yesterday. This is not a rule, however, and further is often used for physical distances. The distinction does not exist in the U.K. and elsewhere in the (British) Commonwealth of Nations, where further is preferred for all senses of the word and farther is rare.

Further has senses it does not share with farther. It works as an adjective meaning additional—e.g., “I have no further questions.” It works as an adverb meaning additionally—e.g., “He said he did not spend the money, and stated further that he had never even received it.” And it works as a verb meaning to advance (something)—e.g., “This website is meant to further understanding of 21st-century English.” Farther is not commonly used these ways.

The physical/nonphysical distinction in the U.S. extends to the superlatives farthest and furthest. Furthermore is an adverbial extension of further and often bears replacement with the shorter word. The rare furthermost is sometimes used to mean farthest or furthest, and it likewise bears replacement with the shorter words.>>
Art Neuendorffer