APOD: Trifecta at Twilight (2020 Feb 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Trifecta at Twilight (2020 Feb 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 am

Image Trifecta at Twilight

Explanation: On February 18, as civil twilight began in northern New Mexico skies, the International Space Station, a waning crescent Moon, and planet Mars for a moment shared this well-planned single field of view. From the photographer's location the sky had just begun to grow light, but the space station orbiting 400 kilometers above the Earth was already bathed in the morning sunlight. At 6:25am local time it took less than a second to cross in front of the lunar disk moving right to left in the composited successive frames. At the time, Mars itself had already emerged from behind the Moon following its much anticipated lunar occultation. The yellowish glow of the Red Planet is still in the frame at the upper right, beyond the Moon's dark edge.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Trifecta at Twilight (2020 Feb 20)

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 am

And when you win the Trifecta, you get your shot on APOD...

Wonderful idea...

:---[===] *

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am

Wonderful shot! Humans in outer space, plus the two possible places for people to really GO TO in outer space: our own Moon, and the planet Mars. I was born in 1940 and I dreamed of humans colonizing the galaxy eventually. I don't LIKE to be old gloomy and dismal, but tell me, am I wrong in thinking that there is no possible real future for humans out there? The particle environment we never suspected would be horribly dangerous. And no possible colony can surely ever be more than a gesture, given lack of adequate water. Outer space, for me, has in the end been very disappointing, in terms of human expansion. Tell me I'm wrong?

TheOtherBruce
Science Officer

Post by TheOtherBruce » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:52 am

This reminds me of the time I happened to be out in the back garden at dawn, and I saw the ISS coming up over the horizon. Very bright, much brighter than it usually looks in an evening pass, and I think a bit brighter than an Iridium flare.
This universe shipped by weight, not by volume.
Some expansion of the contents may have occurred during shipment.

APODFORIST
Ensign

Post by APODFORIST » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:24 pm

To "fly" manned to the ISS is one thing, to the moon another - to Mars something completely different.

But I hope it will happen soon.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 pm

Nice catch by the photographer! 8-)

ISS_Moon_Mars_composite1024.jpg
I saw a thin crescent of the moon this morning about 5:30AM! Just over my neighbors house ant through the branches of the trees! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm

heehaw wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am Wonderful shot! Humans in outer space, plus the two possible places for people to really GO TO in outer space: our own Moon, and the planet Mars. I was born in 1940 and I dreamed of humans colonizing the galaxy eventually. I don't LIKE to be old gloomy and dismal, but tell me, am I wrong in thinking that there is no possible real future for humans out there? The particle environment we never suspected would be horribly dangerous. And no possible colony can surely ever be more than a gesture, given lack of adequate water. Outer space, for me, has in the end been very disappointing, in terms of human expansion. Tell me I'm wrong?
I don't think you're wrong. There is much to be done is space... but none of it requires a human presence. That may change in a few centuries, but for now, there's really no use case for humans in space, outside, perhaps, of some very limited special cases.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm
heehaw wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am
Humans in outer space, plus the two possible places for people to really GO TO in outer space: our own Moon, and the planet Mars. I was born in 1940 and I dreamed of humans colonizing the galaxy eventually... Outer space, for me, has in the end been very disappointing, in terms of human expansion. Tell me I'm wrong?
I don't think you're wrong. There is much to be done is space... but none of it requires a human presence. That may change in a few centuries, but for now, there's really no use case for humans in space, outside, perhaps, of some very limited special cases.
The World will never know.
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 pm

heehaw wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am Wonderful shot! Humans in outer space, plus the two possible places for people to really GO TO in outer space: our own Moon, and the planet Mars. I was born in 1940 and I dreamed of humans colonizing the galaxy eventually. I don't LIKE to be old gloomy and dismal, but tell me, am I wrong in thinking that there is no possible real future for humans out there? The particle environment we never suspected would be horribly dangerous. And no possible colony can surely ever be more than a gesture, given lack of adequate water. Outer space, for me, has in the end been very disappointing, in terms of human expansion. Tell me I'm wrong?
You're wrong. :-)

... At least there's plenty of water out there.
I'm optimistic we'll figure out a way to mitigate radiation exposure, though I'm not saying it will be easy.
Mark Goldfain